Air conditioner opening

chris1chris1 Member Posts: 11
Does anyone have the dimensions of the opening for the air conditioner in a tab 320 outback (2015). Thank you

Comments

• DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2021
    @chris1 My build date was 09/2016, so might match your Outback.  The old Danby was around 16 x 11 inches, and if you take off the front face plate and air conditioner it looks a little like:

But you can take out one of the vertical aluminum struts from that opening and fit bigger air conditioners.  I've had an LG mounted in mine for a year or so, played with a Frigidaire for a while, but now I have GE 6000-6500BTU unit in that space. I think you can squeeze an 18 x 12, or almost, in that space.

Seal the exhaust with duct tape completely and thoroughly from the back of the air conditioner to around 2/3rds of the external grill, and let the other third feed the A/C inlet venting, and use a diverter to keep the two intake versus exhaust air flows separated outside the camper and you'll get the most cooling.  Or that's what I found when I used thermocouples and a thermal camera and took gobs of measurements as I tested plenty of different configurations. You won't even need the auxiliary A/C fan at that point.

But you can find dozens of threads of what folks have squeezed into that space, and how to get the most effective cooling from their A/C.

Here was me fitting a 17.5 x 12 into the lightly modified box...

But note that you may have to cut out an aluminum strut, screw in a new aluminum angle iron piece to slide it onto, and certainly will have to modify or replace the face plate, if you go with a different or larger air conditioner.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• chris1chris1 Member Posts: 11
    Thank you Doug for all the info and pictures, this will be really helpful. I have been considering switching  the air conditioner out for a microwave, do you find that you use the air a lot?
    @chris1 Guess it depends on where you like to camp. If it's above 90F and high humidity, I usually find it harder to sleep, even with a fan.

• fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 361
    Hey @DougH, I sent you a comment on a different but related thread yesterday and then found this one this morning.  In your opinion do you think the 2 inside vertical aluminum tubes (that align with the opening cut in the face board) are "structural" to perhaps help stiffen the aluminum tube box that holds the a/c unit?  The only way to increase the width is to cut one or both out of the way.  My hesitation is would I be reducing the needed strength to hold a 45 lb'ish unit on the wall while being bounced while towing.
    I had actually thought of replacing the existing boxed aluminum frame with a custom design (my brother is a metalworker with all the right tools 8^) but I noticed a couple of screws that come down from above that are holding the frame.  I'm assuming they were put in through the aluminum roof framing before the roof skin was attached.  Any ideas or comments?
    No need to reply to my comments via both threads, one will do or just PM me back with your reply.  Thanks!
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
    @fstop32 I perfectly understand the trepidation. They are structural supports, so when I took out the innermost one on the right, I knew I was adding risk. That said, and this is only anecdotal, but I bounced 40lb air-conditioners for thousands of miles, without any sign of fatigue. Risk is somewhat reduced if you make sure there's no slop... that the new unit is held firmly to the box. I can't speak to how the box is screwed or welded to the roof and wall.

But on the reward side, there's cooler, dryer air that allows camping in more areas, whether in campsites with electricity, or boondocked if you have enough solar and battery.

• fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 361
    @DougH, thanks for your input.  It's reassuring to know the "real world" stress testing yours has gone through without showing signs of fatigue.  At this point we are more "3 season campers" with summer being the off-season so I have some time to continue researching my options.  I'll probably try things that can be easily undone if they don't work as expected before I launch into building a new a/c metal frame box or cutting a larger hole in the roof!  =)
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4