Options

Oven?

Anybody else use something like this?

Started using a while back... cornbread and other baked goods using the propane stove.  I don't have lots of "stuff" in my T@B but have been really impressed with these things.  

The thermometer doesn't really work and I generally have to guess at time, but it is nice to have an oven for baked goods and doesn't require any electricity.  One of my few luxuries.  Since it folds down very small, I just toss it in the back bench storage and grab it when I need it.

Comments

• Options
    KatsKats Member Posts: 95
    My mom had something very similar to this which she used on our wood stove at home. When she knew she had the time and didn't want to use propane, or if we had a power outage, she could still bake using the same stove that heated the house. It was an ingenious little thing and it made some delicious pies!
  • Options
    2canoe2canoe Member Posts: 74
    This looks great!  It sure opens up lots of possibilities.  
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I looked at one of those but I had terrible luck with the little gizmo for making toast on the propane stove that I passed. I used to bake a lot, miss an oven more than a microwave.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

I've never known anyone who used one.  I've looked at them before.  It would be nice to have cornbread muffins, some crisp (unburnt) small pizzas, etc.  I don't do Dutch Oven cooking, so this could be an alternative.

PXLated said:
    I looked at one of those but I had terrible luck with the little gizmo for making toast on the propane stove that I passed. I used to bake a lot, miss an oven more than a microwave.

PXLated, try just putting the bread on the propane grill/stove to toast it.  I prefer lightly toasted and it works for me. Watch closely.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna - I broke down and bought a small toaster - only appliance I have - only comes out if I'm hooked up or am using the generator.
  • Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    Campchef makes an oven that runs on propane. It has changed my life. Bought it when i was still a tent camper. Frozen lasagna, chicken pot pie, belgian waffles, hot biscuits, pizza, augratin potatoes and, show up with a plate of fresh baked cookies or brownies after dinner or hot cinimon rolls for breakfast and you will be the camp hero! I freeze all the above before we go. Pop it in the oven and T@ DA. Hot delicious food and no effort. Kids love it for pizza rolls and toasted bagels (not together)
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    Forgot to say it uses a 1lb propane cylinder, and is the size of a good toaster oven. It rides on it's back on top of the stove in my clamshell while traveling. 
  • Options
    Tabster - What brand? Got a pic or link?
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I like it because it is extremely compact. Takes up almost no room and, at least for simple things, has worked well.  I set it up in the tab or at a picnic table and bake away... When done using, I let it cool for a while, fold it up and stick it back under the seat... no real room required for it.
  • Options
    Camp Chef. I got mine at Big 5 sporting goods. Under $100 and worth every penny. Don't have a pic handy. But camp chef and big 5 both have websites
  • Options
    mash2 - The folding part is what I liked if it worked.

Tabster - I'll have to check it out.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    I have a Camp Chef Oven.  Has two burners on top.  Nice for when you want something warm, but don't want to Dutch Oven Cook
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    Ooohh! You have thr deluxe model. Mine is just the oven.