Options

This forum is a tremendous resource, possible contribution RE: RVLOCK install

MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
edited April 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
We purchased our 2017 TAB 320 used in November of 2020.  Although we have not yet been on our maiden voyage, we have been towing it, practicing backing up and working through our knowledge of the various systems.  My retirement started April 1 of this year, so I’ve had more time to study the questions and comments to various questions, particularly with respect to the Alde system and the Norcold 3 way refrigerator.   I just want to say this group is the most informative, supportive and exacting in their standards of care as I have seen anywhere.   So, THANK YOU!  

I want to mention an embarrassing moment that may help someone else.  About 10 days ago I locked myself in the TAB with windows closed while testing the inside release of the new RVLOCK I installed.   Having had a successful history of hitting the door from the inside to get past the striker plate screw that the RVLOCKl was catching on, I gave the door a gentle kick.  It held.  Feeling panicked in the hot interior, I gave it a quick kick.  Don’t do that!  I bent the door at the top and bottom and have had to order a replacement, which should be coming soon.  

I think I had the dead bolt securing the door but am not sure.  This old guy did climb out the window and only when calmed down did I realize the errors of my ways.  Recommendations:  Test the inside release mechanisms with door open several times to ensure knowledge of which way the latches release, keep a window wide open when inside and recognize if you are prone to claustrophobia.   This may be my best contribution.  

The RVLOCK (with key fob and keypad) did not readily work for me.  I’m questioning it’s use with my new door, but may try it.  I did use a new Lippert striker plate but that did not help, but note that there were door closing problems in past as evidenced by a slightly bent frame at that junction even before the install.
2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
Wisconsin

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Welcome to the forum!  BTW, you were not the first to lock yourself in the cabin.  After seeing another's post a year or so ago, many of us now keep a Philips and all three sizes of the square screwdrivers INSIDE the cabin just in case the lock needs to be removed from the inside.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    Tabaz said:
    Welcome to the forum!  BTW, you were not the first to lock yourself in the cabin.  After seeing another's post a year or so ago, many of us now keep a Philips and all three sizes of the square screwdrivers INSIDE the cabin just in case the lock needs to be removed from the inside.
    Good advice!
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin