Are those EZ up shelters susceptible to wind damage

DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
edited May 2021 in Camping & Travel
I say yes. While visiting Lake Pleasant Az. A couple of week age this was along side of the dumpster. I am remember Tabazona a few years ago. I think it was the first one.

1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Mouseketab lost one or two E-Z-Ups at the last Tearstock gathering. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    I've found the smallest CLAM (Traveler) to be pretty robust as long as you put guy lines on it.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Verna said:
    @Mouseketab lost one or two E-Z-Ups at the last Tearstock gathering. 
    Yes I did, I believe 2016.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    I've seen several EZ up type of shelters rolling around campgrounds.  One was lifted off the ground by a little dust devil and spun like like a helicopter as it lifted off  and bounced around for a few hundred feet.  Away from the campground, thank goodness. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    EZ Up = EZ gone. I haven't personally lost one but if I use one it is tied down.
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • rrcbovrrcbov Member Posts: 109
    So what are the good options for stand-alone shelters with screens that can withstand some wind?  I’m a solo traveler so ease of single-handed setup is important.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock, 2021 Toyota Tacoma, Juno Beach Florida
    rrcbov said:
    So what are the good options for stand-alone shelters with screens that can withstand some wind?  I’m a solo traveler so ease of single-handed setup is important.
    Clam Quickset. Stake it down and attach guy lines when it’s windy. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    I agree with @Marceline—Clam shelters are the best!  I have a 6x6 with side walls. Stake and tie it down and it withstood two snowbird winters in Arizona’s “winter” winds. Be sure to get the “walls” to protect you from wind, rain or cold/heat. I actually used it for an outside kitchen and a garage for my eBike. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • thedoolittlesthedoolittles Member Posts: 11
    Is the Clam shelter tall enough that I could open the hatch on the galley kitchen inside the shelter or at least have a portion of the hatch covered?  I keep looking at them as a room off the kitchen.
    2019 T@B 320CS - "Miller"
    Is the Clam shelter tall enough that I could open the hatch on the galley kitchen inside the shelter or at least have a portion of the hatch covered?  I keep looking at them as a room off the kitchen.
    I do not believe so, for a full size T@B. I believe they would work for a teardrop like the T@G. I would advice you to look at the measurements of the Clam and then take measurements of your galley. There is only one door to the Clam, also. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Thanks for the reference, @Marceline @Verna! I love real world reviews! (Can't trust Amazon reviews anymore....)

Just what we were looking for, for black-fly-season wine time! Tired of those little beasties getting stuck between my teeth!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    edited May 2021
    No, there’s no way to get the hatch under the tent. I have a big rain fly that I can put over both the hatch and the clam traveler in bad weather. I’m on the road and can’t post pix right now. You may be able to find by clicking on my name and looking at pix that I’ve posted in the past.
    [Edited to add pic of clamshell hatch + Clam Traveler under a rainfly]

[Also added photo showing why hatch won't fit under the CLAM shelter (center door opening + height]

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • xdrxdr Member Posts: 259
    We were looking at the Clam Quickset last year, the Escape model I think. What stopped us was the length of the tent when in the storage bag for traveling. The length was longer than our truck bed (Dodge Rebel) 5’ 8”
    Anyone able to comment on this? Is it a long bag when broken down? 
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    @xdr
    Yes it is long. About an 1” to long to fit in our Tab wheel to wheel. I like the size but I might have gone one size smaller if I were to do it again.Great product though.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    We went with a Gazelle G5. It’s very similar to the Clams in price and build quality. It’s 63” when folded up. It could go wheel to wheel on the back cushions of our 2021 320s with one of those triangular side cushions removed. Our TV is an F150 so ours get put in the bed. The bugs (any bugs) drive our black lab crazy so it’s for her sanity as well as ours. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • rrcbovrrcbov Member Posts: 109
    xdr said:
    We were looking at the Clam Quickset last year, the Escape model I think. What stopped us was the length of the tent when in the storage bag for traveling. The length was longer than our truck bed (Dodge Rebel) 5’ 8”
    Anyone able to comment on this? Is it a long bag when broken down? 
    The Escape Sport and Escape Sky are 74” x 8” x 8” - too long for my truck as well.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock, 2021 Toyota Tacoma, Juno Beach Florida
    edited May 2021
    The Clam Traveler is 53" long when collapsed and fits inside a T@B CS on floor alongside the bench. When it's set up, it's a 72" x 72" square so it lines up nicely behind the hatch on the parking pad. I place a 6'x9' outdoor mat at the back of the parking pad before I even back in.  If I back up so that the end of the trailer lines up with the front end of the mat, I have exactly enough space for my open clamshell hatch + Clam Traveler. Having a target makes it much easier to place the trailer where I want it to end up without any help. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Huh! Hadn't thought of that! Might not be good for long Tab trips.

I ordered the 5-sided Clam "Venture", just a bit bigger, 9ft across, hopefully just right for our back deck.

Can't wait to foil those blasted black-flies. They spoil a whole month of outdoor wine-time here in WNY.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya