Options

Getting Hosed (by campground grime and water)

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
Let's talk about hoses and other outside accessories and how you prepare them to be packed away. I store the water hoses ( I have a separate one for drinking water and one for rinsing out the black tank) in separate Rubbermaid containers, but those are not the only things that go into those containers and I would like to be more effective at keeping the insides of those containers clean and dry .

How do you wipe off the water hose? It inevitably gets a little water on the outside, attracting dirt, sand, leaves, and grass to stick to it. The same is true for the shore power cord, although it might not get wet. In the east, it is often wet from the morning dew.

How do you get all of the water out of the hose? It seems as though no matter how much holding up to drain, there is still water in there.

My mat sweeps off pretty easily, so not a big deal. The stabilizer pads more or less come clean banging them together.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Jenn, how's about just screwing the ends of the hose together? I showed my sister that Saturday on her camper. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited July 2015
    I put the ends of my hoses together, be it water or waste drain hoses, then I put them in a large heavy duty trash bag and then into my Rubbermaid bins.  When I have the space, time and sun I dig them out and let them dry.  
  • Options
    Let's give a giant, "Duh" to Jenn. Of course - the ends together! I always use end caps, but this make a lot of sense.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Yup, I screw the ends together.  I store them in a homer bucket, that way they can dry out.  Only grey water to worry about, so cleanup is pretty easy.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I keep my black water hose in the propane/battery box, where it can dry. I figure oxygen is the best way to kill bacteria, and leaving it wet is a good way to grow stuff....
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    I keep my black water hose in the propane/battery box, where it can dry. I figure oxygen is the best way to kill bacteria, and leaving it wet is a good way to grow stuff....

Chan, I keep mine there, too. It just makes sense.

• Options
    ChanW said:
    Pick your poision.  I never have liked the idea of a black water waste hose touching anything. I especially don't like the idea of reaching into a compartment to check a battery or change a propane tank where a black water waste hose has been bouncing around.   In my class C I had a nice rear bumper as a storage compartment.  

After  I get home from a trip my hoses get cleaned with a diluted bleach solution and re packed after they dry.  
  • Options
    I rinse out them out after dumping and then put end caps on them.

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    I rinse out them out after dumping and then put end caps on them.
    Yup, I rinse mine after use and connect the ends.  

I must say I have never seen a waste hose on an RV stored anywhere other than its own compartment or tube.  The T@B is the first I have seen where a used hose is stored with  other items.  

I may make a pvc storage tube between the propane box and the body.  
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited July 2015
    I don't have black water on mine, but did make a grey water drain using sewer hose material with a short piece of water hose attached. I did make a PVC pipe holder and mounted it between the propane tank and body on the frame.

For drying off stuff as I pack away, I simply have an old rag that is my "packing rag". As I coil up hoses and electrical cords I simply run that rag along the hoses/cords as I coil them up. For the water hose, I do connect the ends together.

My water hose goes under my passenger side bench through an outside hatch I had cut, my power cord goes under my driver side bench through an outside hatch, and my grey water sewer hose, goes in the PVC holder. I drill some holes in the bottom of the pipe to let air get to it and drain any extra water residing.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Patti said:
    Can you screw the ends of  the black water drain together like you would a hose?
    Yes, they should have the opposite bayonet fittings
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Bought a separate hose for rinsing after the dump station - Have yet to unfurl it, all the dump stations I've used already had hoses.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PXLated said:
    Bought a separate hose for rinsing after the dump station - Have yet to unfurl it, all the dump stations I've used already had hoses.
    Good. I did buy a separate hose, a green one to keep it separate from the fresh water white one. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92

For those who store Black water hose in with battery/propane tank, why not first put hose in a plastic [contractor's] bag?

Keeps the YUCKIES off of the tank/battery. Bag can be used for other YUCKIES and then disposed of. 

I live on Long Island, NY. The Long Island Railroad is the busiest commuter railroad in the USA. Each train car has a "sophisticated" bathroom. How times have changed. When I was a kid, the train cars had "basic" bathroom facilities, each containing a sign, "DO NOT FLUSH WHILE IN STATION!" Imagine how much "waste" was dumped (no pun intended) onto the tracks between stations! YIKES! 

I wonder how the lyrics of Arlo Guthrie's song would read had he lived on Long Island!

• Options
    sgttiki - I don't even want to think about old airliners.
  • Options
    sgttiki said:

For those who store Black water hose in with battery/propane tank, why not first put hose in a plastic [contractor's] bag?

Keeps the YUCKIES off of the tank/battery. Bag can be used for other YUCKIES and then disposed of. 

Really, there are no yuckies. I put end caps on my hose, so there is no drippage (2 made up words in one sentence is too much fun.) The hose gets ground grime, but that is it. Ground grime is fine for inside of the storage basket.

• Options
    Same as Jenn here - I'm not sure it would coil up and fit as neatly if in a bag.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    sgttiki - I don't even want to think about old airliners.

That's why I never look skyward when a plane is overhead. It could be a "vintage airliner" without updates! SPLAT!
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    sgttiki said:

Really, there are no yuckies. I put end caps on my hose, so there is no drippage (2 made up words in one sentence is too much fun.) The hose gets ground grime, but that is it. Ground grime is fine for inside of the storage basket.

Great words for Scrabble!
  • Options
    sgttiki - And everyone thought it was just rain or pigeons.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    sgttiki - And everyone thought it was just rain or pigeons.

Or....Superman! I'm just saying! Even Superman has to "go!"

"Look! Up in the Sky! It's a Bird! It's a Plane! It's Super.....SPLAT!"