Options

Fresh water supply line dumped the vinyl hose

DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
edited July 2015 in Tips & Tricks
I dumped the vinyl hose for this set up. Much easier especially when it is cold and it takes up less space.
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Clever devil you are :-)
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I like your new hose, is it suitable for potable water? Like the white ones are? How long does it get when stretched out? It looks like air hose.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    It's 15' of 1/4"poly air line tubing. Poly has less taste and smell transfer than vinyl. The 1/4" line has enough flow for RV purposes. This has worked for us in our last 4 RVs. I found the blue tubing at Home Depot with the air tools. The hose end fittings in plumbing. Attached picture shows our complete set up.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    That looks like just the ticket.
    I'm not dead yet from drinking out of garden hoses my whole life - I even eat gluten - so I'm personally not too worried if it's potable approved or not ;-)
  • Options
     PLX Same here just an added benefit.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I have blue potable water hoses that are coiled like that. Love them!
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Patti said:
    There are also white potable water hoses that are coiled like that.
    I have blue potable water hoses that are coiled like that. Love them!

Yup, Amazon has both of them.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    $14.98 at HomeDepot 25' Amazon was over twice the price.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Everyone thinks Amazon is always cheap but not so, their algorithms determine most recommended and most popular and those are cheap. The rest isn't most of the time but people don't go out and compare, they just presume because the most popular are.
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    PXLated said:
    Everyone thinks Amazon is always cheap but not so, their algorithms determine most recommended and most popular and those are cheap. The rest isn't most of the time but people don't go out and compare, they just presume because the most popular are.
    I found there was a time Amazon was cheaper most of the time.  The last couple of years their prices have rarely been the best.  I use them almost only for the connivence of not having to drive around town to find the item.
  • Options
    Sometimes the web may not be the absolute cheapest, but for stuff that I can't just immediately pick up at Wal-Mart or Home Depot, the driving around town looking is just not worth it to me. 10 minutes "searching" on the web, and 3 clicks later, I have what I need and it shows up at my door in a few days.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    I hate to shop. I'll go to the grocery, Walmart if I have to, I love hardware stores--an exception, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Camping World, and I'll go to The Container Store, even though it's about 30 miles away. IKEA is 150 miles away (more or less), and that's probably a good thing. I love antique stores. Do not expect me to go to the Mall--it won't happen, I hate it, too many people.  Give me the woods, a lake, a campground!

The Internet shopping is great. Point, click, buy. I'm on a first name basis with the UPS guy/gal and the mail carrier. I wish there was a cardboard recycling place close to here ;). I even ordered my new bathroom shower curtain and towels from the Internet because I couldn't find what I wanted in BB and B. 

And yes, it's not always the least expensive, but gas and my time are important to me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    I almost always do an Internet search comparison. Almost always (although NOT always), by the time you factor shipping, Amazon comes out the cheapest. I have been less satisfied with their delivery reliability and service over the last year, or so, however. The miss more "guarantee by" dates" from their cost-cutting initiatives.

In my case, we have no real RV supply places close (CW is 2 hours away) so the web becomes my primary shopping spot for stuff for the T@b. Our local Walmart has a pretty small RV section.
    Verna said:

The Internet shopping is great. Point, click, buy. I'm on a first name basis with the UPS guy/gal and the mail carrier. I wish there was a cardboard recycling place close to here ;). I even ordered my new bathroom shower curtain and towels from the Internet because I couldn't find what I wanted in BB and B. 

And yes, it's not always the least expensive, but gas and my time are important to me. 
    Ditto, Verna.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I'm a "want to touch it" guy on anything but trivial stuff. Of course being on the road makes coordinating shipping more complicated so I just shop as I go.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    I'm a "want to touch it" guy on anything but trivial stuff. Of course being on the road makes coordinating shipping more complicated so I just shop as I go.
    I encountered that "on the road" problem last winter. I found I could have items shipped to a UPS store for $5/box (not sure is that was local or every store). I also have instructions on how to ship or mail to a post office (they will hold general delivery for 30 days).

But, on the other hand, I actually saved money because if I bought something other than food, I had to get rid of something else. Broke my bike rack which damaged my bike. So I took them to Goodwill (both still usable in the right hands), and I ordered a folding bike from Amazon. It was made just like one of Camping World's folding bikes, but I saved over $50 through Amazon. 

Jenn, (knock on wood) I've been getting exceptional delivery lately from Amazon. Sometimes they've been delivering a day early. I love it!

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    For mail, I have a forwarding company, call them, give them a zip for general delivery and pick it up. Other stuff is more problematic unless you want to pay express shipping one's not exactly sure when it's going to show.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2015
    Back to the topic...

What's the max length you can get this springy coiled hose in "drinking water safe" plastic (or is that an oxymoron?)

Ah, and does it become brittle at cold (ie freezing) temps?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    The one I got at HD was 25'. It can handle cold but it would need to drained in freezing conditions.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I've got 25 foot hose and a 50 foot hose.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Excellent.

It'd be interesting to know if it's like PEX, which handles the expansion of frozen water without damage.

Or if there's a hose like this that's made of PEX.

Then again, I suppose one could make one from PEX, and coil it like that. I'll have to look into it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya