Options

Adding a Zamp connector to a 2021 320 with two 6V batteries wired in series

Hi All,

I'd like to add a connector to my 2021 320 S so I can use my Zamp 120W solar suitcase.  The trailer has two 6V batteries wired in a series, along with rooftop solar, but I'd like the extra boost of solar charge for longer boondock trips with the electric fridge.  I already own the Zamp suitcase and I'd like to put it to use.  If anyone can point me in the right direction as to how to do this, it would be much appreciated.  TIA..

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @gooselady, I can help with that. 

Let me get photos of the parts and I’ll be right back. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options

@Gooselady, you need one of each of these parts (these photos are from Amazon, but order them where you want). Plus you will need two terminal rings to add to the extension cable so you can attach to the battery terminals, plus the tool to attach the rings with. Tell me if you need a photo of that tool (not trying to insult your experience or intelligence). 

You will need to carefully drill a hole in the tub (if you have the Boondock model don’t drill on the side of the center tub if you may purchase the additional Diamond plate tubs to go on your front platform). I do not have one of these power cables handy so I can’t tell you what size of hole you need. You will need to buy a grommet the size of your hole to protect the wires from the sharp edges of the Diamond plate. 

Drill the holes for the 4 screws, and place the screws in place with some water proof caulking so water cannot deep into the tub. 

Assuming your batteries are in your front tub, by the way. 

Put your rings on the ends of the extension cable. Attach the ground wire (black) of your extension cable to the negative terminal—follow the T@B’s wiring and the terminal without fuses on the wires will be the negative terminal). Loosen the nut carefully place the new wire with ring on the terminal, replace the nut and tighten. Do the same for tge red wire, attaching it yo the other terminal, the one that has fuses on some of the wires. Tighten. 

I have not advised you to add a fuse because the Zamp panels are already fused in the panel. 

Any question, please ask. Remember, the only dumb question is the one not asked!

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    Hi Verna, I think I get it.  Does this accomodate the reverse polarity business of the Zamp suitcase (of which I never understood).
  • Options
    “Reverse polarity” does not matter with Zamp. They were the first to use the SAE connector, so the colors line up between the solar panels’ plug and the battery. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    Verna said:

@Gooselady, you need one of each of these parts (these photos are from Amazon, but order them where you want). Plus you will need two terminal rings to add to the extension cable so you can attach to the battery terminals, plus the tool to attach the rings with. Tell me if you need a photo of that tool (not trying to insult your experience or intelligence). 

You will need to carefully drill a hole in the tub (if you have the Boondock model don’t drill on the side of the center tub if you may purchase the additional Diamond plate tubs to go on your front platform). I do not have one of these power cables handy so I can’t tell you what size of hole you need. You will need to buy a grommet the size of your hole to protect the wires from the sharp edges of the Diamond plate. 

Drill the holes for the 4 screws, and place the screws in place with some water proof caulking so water cannot deep into the tub. 

Assuming your batteries are in your front tub, by the way. 

Put your rings on the ends of the extension cable. Attach the ground wire (black) of your extension cable to the negative terminal—follow the T@B’s wiring and the terminal without fuses on the wires will be the negative terminal). Loosen the nut carefully place the new wire with ring on the terminal, replace the nut and tighten. Do the same for tge red wire, attaching it yo the other terminal, the one that has fuses on some of the wires. Tighten. 
    @Verna am I missing something? Is there some reason that you didn’t recommend something like this? https://amzn.to/2SYd2Dc

Why the extra connector? 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 618
    I was thinking the same thing.  Just connect that right to the battery.  
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    I like being the ability to disconnect my Zamp plug(s)  from the battery. That is why  I’ve recmmended the two pieces to @gooselady
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited June 2021
    You should also consider installing an appropriate size fuse on the red/positive side, if you are not using a Samp Solar Suitcase (which per Verna has its own fuse).
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @Denny16, as I stated above, the Zamp solar panel suitcases already have a fuse, so there is no need to add a second fuse.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited June 2021
    Good point, changed my post.  A fuse however, is good for someone who might want to add a Zamp connector for a different portable non-fused solar setup.  Just looking down the road...  :)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    I finally made this modification in anticipation of a 2 week boondocking trip to Florida.  With the addition of the 120W Zamp suitcase, the battery indicator never fell below full bars.  I was parked in full sun for 10+ days.  I was so impressed that when I moved to a camp site that had shade, I never checked my battery indicator, nor did I plug in the Zamp panel.  Within two days, I was entirely drained of power.  Lesson learned, haha!  Fortunately, I had spare water, a portable device charger, and extra battery operated lights.  
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,682
    @gooselady What trailer do you have?  What fridge?  "Entirely drained of power" meaning what?  What was your state of charge?

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    I have the 2021 T@B 320 with the electric fridge.  I run two 6V batteries in a series.  I was out of power meaning the trailer was beeping because I had no juice.  I don't know what "state of charge" means.

The point of my post is that the addition of a Zamp panel made a world of difference when boondocking for an extended period of time.