Lessons on Payload for Tacoma

manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
The Tacoma’s Achilles heel is payload. It sucks. Knowing this I knew going into a CAT scare today that I wouldn’t have much wiggle room for cargo in the bed. Turns out I have even less than I thought. 

With the tank 3/4 full, some running boards, bed mat, kid’s seat, and tonneau cover (and me sitting in the truck) the truck came in at 5300 lbs. That’s just 300 lbs shy of the max GVWR. Granted that includes the 370ish lbs of tongue weight from the 400 BD dry. 

I know that the tongue weight decreases a bit with a full tank of water which is a plus, but not much. Knowing this information is invaluable and I’m glad I did it. I’d rather know than be in denial. I see a lot of Tacomas out there towing bigger rigs than the 400 and there’s no way they’re within towing specs. A bed topper alone would knock you over payload max. 

This isn’t to say the Tacoma is a terrible TV. Ours tows the 400 fine and better than expected based off reviews on the forum. But be aware of how miserable the payload is and how that can limit what you put into your truck vs into the trailer.
2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    I drove Tacoma’s for 25 years before I made a switch and your correct. The payload sucks and always has.  I had 3 tacos and each one I upgraded to old man emu leaf packs and front springs. It helped a lot with the sag. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • 1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    I have a similar setup to you, just everything is 1 year older.

The Taco seems to play loosey goosey with towing numbers.  I’m pretty sure they claim 640lbs tongue weight, 6400 GVWR (I need to go out to the garage and look at mine again), 960lb payload, etc etc.  However I found that in the real world I was hitting my payload awfully early, easily over when I took trips with 3 people + stuff for a week.  

Frankly, all trucks do this.  They advertise the biggest numbers possible but they’re only possible with a ultralight driver and 1/4 tank of gas (extreme, but you get the idea).  NuCamp was also called out for under spec’ ing the tongue weight for a couple years there as well (claiming 350 when 425 was more realistic).  It’s surprising how close you get to hitting these numbers, even when they start so big.
    2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA
  • HuCampHuCamp Member Posts: 27
    Yeah @manyman297 I have the same setup as you ('21 Tab, 20 TRD 4x4) and, even with the limitations, I still love the arrangement. Works really well for me - just have to be mindful of what you bring. That's second nature to me. Wouldn't change a thing.

2021 T@b 400 Boonie
    2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4
  • manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Yeah, I just don’t understand why a truck would have lower payload than a small SUV. Yes it’s a midsized pickup but you still bought it to haul stuff. Bizarre to me. 

I see people like Kendrick and Mandy Lea on YouTube with their Tacoma. After watching their tour of the rig they have to be way over payload which makes sense that they upgraded their suspension (I’m doing the same Hellwig helper spring upgrade they did).
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • rrcbovrrcbov Member Posts: 109
    I found that the difference between the GVWR and the unloaded weight of my 2021 Tacoma was about 300 pounds more that the payload spec in my owners manual.  I’m thinking this means either the GVWR or payload spec doesn’t mean much. 
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock, 2021 Toyota Tacoma, Juno Beach Florida
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    @manyman297 , @rrcbov
    A vehicle's GVWR is a hard number and should not be exceeded.  It is based on the chassis design, axles, and suspension of the vehicle.  Adding 'helper springs' might reduce/stop rear end sag but does not change the allowed GVWR or your maximum payload.

Payload is a bit more of a soft number.  The manufacturer published payload value is for one specific configuration of the vehicle, it provides a reference and marketing point.  The Owners Manual fine print will include notes that your specific vehicle payload will depend on what optional equipment is installed.  Say the upgraded sound system and full power seats these will be heavier than the base truck versions and reduce actual vehicle payload.

Best approach is to scale your truck with a full tank of gas and just you in the cabin.
    GVWR - scale weight = best case payload for your specific vehicle.

And remember the Trailer Tongue weight is part of the TV payload.
    So Scaled 'payload' - tongue weight = best case maximum other stuff you can carry in TV.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • rrcbovrrcbov Member Posts: 109
    edited June 2021
    @MuttonChops - I understand that the “standard” payload number is reduced by additional equipment, etc. - what’s new to me is that the “standard” payload isn’t GCWR less standard weight.  In my case GVWR less standard weight (e.g. weight with a full tank, no extra equipment, no people, etc.) is about 300 pounds more than the published payload number.   It seems like the marketing motivation would be to publish the higher payload number?

if I scaled out at GVWR I would be exceeding the published payload number by about 300 pounds.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock, 2021 Toyota Tacoma, Juno Beach Florida
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    @rrcbov ; Yep, it gets very confusing.  No manufacturer includes all the different weight measurements in their literature and none of them even include a clear definition of just what they weighted vehicle contents wise.
    Various web-searches have produced these 'Generally Agreed to Definitions'

GVWR     maximum operating weight of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the
                         vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers
                         and cargo. Most everyone understands GVWR.

Curb Weight      total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment and all necessary operating
                          consumables such as motor oil, transmission oil, coolant, air conditioning refrigerant,
                          and sometimes a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers, cargo.
                          Vehicle's weight "at the curb" (i.e., without the driver).

Payload      payload capacity is the difference between its curb weight and its GVWR, the
                          total safe weight of all of the cargo, passengers, tools and other items the
                          truck can carry.

So payload is based on Curb Weight and Curb Weight can include different items, like fuel, for different manufacturers and few manufacturers include curb weight in their literature.

So we all should Scale our rigs and never exceed GVWR once loaded for camping.           

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    @manyman297 , @rrcbov
    A vehicle's GVWR is a hard number and should not be exceeded.  It is based on the chassis design, axles, and suspension of the vehicle.  Adding 'helper springs' might reduce/stop rear end sag but does not change the allowed GVWR or your maximum payload.

Payload is a bit more of a soft number.  The manufacturer published payload value is for one specific configuration of the vehicle, it provides a reference and marketing point.  The Owners Manual fine print will include notes that your specific vehicle payload will depend on what optional equipment is installed.  Say the upgraded sound system and full power seats these will be heavier than the base truck versions and reduce actual vehicle payload.

Best approach is to scale your truck with a full tank of gas and just you in the cabin.
    GVWR - scale weight = best case payload for your specific vehicle.

And remember the Trailer Tongue weight is part of the TV payload.
    So Scaled 'payload' - tongue weight = best case maximum other stuff you can carry in TV.

If I were to buy a 4WD SR5 Access cab I think the payload goes way up to nearly 1300lbs because of all of the options added to the higher trim levels. I'm sure this is the number Toyota uses in its marketing. It's even higher if you don't opt for 4WD.

Definitely not adding helper springs so I can add more cargo. I got them to help out with the 1-1 1/2" of sag I'm getting when hitched up. 

2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road