Options

Need air!

Just purchased my orange crush. Does not have a/c and guess where I live...Texas. I need to do something but not sure what. Please give me some ideas. I have looked at portables but there really isn't much room for storage.

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    The easiest would be to find the smallest and lightest roof unit possible. TAB roofs will not support a lot of weight. Do some research and good luck.

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The easiest would be to find the smallest and lightest roof unit possible. TAB roofs will not support a lot of weight. Do some research and good luck.

You can't do that if it is a Dutchman T@b, from what I understand. I believe the roof construction is different than the LG models. If you go look at the Yahoo group files, some have rigged up window mount units for their T@bs.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    Cool Cat... Used to be offered as an alternative cooling heating external unit.
  • Options
    catndahatscatndahats Member Posts: 50
    congrats Barrie!  We are new owners in Texas also---down along Galveston Bay.
    Not sure which model you have, but as you know, a/c is a must down here...I'd give up cabinet space and install a/c on the floor...I think it would be a fairly easy mod.

Tell us more about your T@B and location...
    Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
    2014 T@B Q Max, 2012 Toyota Tundra 4.6
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2015
    I'd steer clear of mounting anything on the roof as I saw a T@B unit at the Tearstock rally that had a roof mounted unit and it bowed the roof downward.  But did receive a note back from the factory saying that a roof mounted A/C unit IS possible but requires the standard 14x14" vent framing...the roof can handle the load (about 100 lbs).
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    You can do roof unit with a LG T@B, the roof is strong enough to support it, but it looks like you have a Dutchman T@B, and the roof on that cannot support an AC unit.  The best option would be a portable AC unit.  ClimateRight makes excellent, small units that would do the job.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited July 2015
    Wow. They even quote  LittleGuy and have a video of Joe Kickos on their site!

http://www.climaterightair.com/applications/rv-trailer-air-conditioning-and-heating.html/

2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    SUDSSUDS Member Posts: 7
    HOLY COW -- this is JUST what I was looking for. We've had our M@vis the T@b for a couple years now, and not having A/C (even up here in the northwest ...  yes, it does get hot here, too!) has curtailed our use. We can't leave the dog behind or she'll bake. Thanks much for this information!
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    edited July 2015
    Can you order an aluminum frame fromm LG, install it and buy your own Walmart a/c, and cut a vent for the exhaust?
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    congrats Barrie!  We are new owners in Texas also---down along Galveston Bay.

Hi - I am new to RV and plan to get the T@B S Maxx by July end.  Like to take the first trip to Galveston.  Any suggestion for a camp site for new RVer?  I check the State Park and it does not have sewer connect.  Don't know how to address this.  Or I can go to a private camp site.  No idea as this will be my first time.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  TIA
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    FYI, I have had my a/c running due to home a/c problems, for about 10 hours. It was about 90 degrees with our worst humidity of the summer. The T@b is cool and comfy and I see no water dripping blew it and none leaking. I don't know what happens, but it is a consistent experience. My T@b was an early 2015 model.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Sgtjohn said:
    Can you order an aluminum frame fromm LG, install it and buy your own Walmart a/c, and cut a vent for the exhaust?
    That would have to be discussed with the factory and they could give you information to accomplish the retrofit.  Since they do not mount their AC units on the roof I doubt they'd have any mounting kits.  But that's not to say there isn't something made within the industry.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ