Options

Multi_controller Solar System ruminations

Okay, getting the trailer ready for a 3 day trip I thought the pictures were interesting. There's occasionally surprise when some new solar user wonders why they don't see all the power in "full sun" or what is the value of multiple independent solar controllers. Well here's a scenario I have today: (2 6V Flooded Cell batteries with NuCamps installed and my remote attached to the rack for travell).

I'm starting out with full charged Batteries (in float) with my 2021 320S  Refrigerator ON to keep food cold.

- Shunt has a direct connected battery voltage (no drop) 13.29V at 100% charge - ready to rock!

- Roof has poor sun angle but providing 27 W (the controller is taking current from the panel and pulling the voltage down from 20V almost all the way to shut-down. (100 Watt full output potential)

-Remote is in full sun but barely being worked so panel voltage is almost open circuit but still supplying the trailer load with 17 W. (100 Watt full output potential)

These two networked connected controllers are working together based on each controller’s supplied power to keep the trailer in float while providing all the power the trailer requires.  The remote seems to be the controlling one and shows the total system power being supplied to the batteries and trailer. 

Also shows the quality of the wiring and associated measured battery voltages while sourcing the current or variations due to viewing times not sure which.

Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
managed by VE Smart Network

Comments

• Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Thanks for posting. We will be adding portable panels soon, so we can park trailer in shade during seriously hot weather. Adding a second Victron 75/15 controller.
    Are your controllers networked through Victron Connect (or similar if different controllers entirely)?
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thanks, @MarkAl, interesting to see how this works.
    How far are each of the controllers located from the battery & their wire gauges?  Would be interesting to see a photo showing both panels & how they are mounted relative to one another.
    Thanks for sharing.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    All 3 are Victron and are BT networked not using the more sophisticated VE net. The 2  controllers allow maximum flexibility for a small setup. The NuCamp installed panel allows normal travel recharges, the rack mounted allow both if a quick or major charge needed between sites. At a site it's rare to be positioned for the installed panel to help. It will but rare. The remote, if any light can be harvested, is great as I have a switch that easily allows my other 2 panels to be configured in parallel or series depending on conditions. BTW the switch is only for the  very anal retentive person and is described I think elsewhere on the forum or I can PM details.
    Note I carry a backup 100 watt 20 volt old laptop supply that can be  connected into the remote input. I can use it to trickle charge or run all normal loads if 30amp shore power isn't available. Normally only use at home.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network