Options

Soft Start Installation

Hey everyone, I was searching the threads and couldn't find a video of a full install for the soft start. Specifically on the Cool Cat AC that comes in the T@B 400. I put one together, I hope it helps anyone going through the install process. 

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help where I can.

https://youtu.be/9STBu55QZaU

Comments

• Options
    TabulatingTabulating Member Posts: 84
    That is a great video.  Thanks for taking the time to make it.

I am wondering how long your rig will run on a tank of propane.  I understand it is use dependent. 

I understand there are too many parameters to give a general estimate, but if you could relay some specifics of some trips on which you have used it, it would help me decide if propane would be a good upgrade for our generator.  I too, would like to not carry gas, but I would want to limit myself to no more than two propane tanks.

Thanks in advance,

Bill
    2018 T@b 400  towed by a 2012 JKU
  • Options
    evdvorkinevdvorkin Member Posts: 7
    Hey @Tabulating, no problem at all! When the time comes that we use I'll post all of the info I can to help. 
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @evdvorkin
    Attempting to install a SoftStart on my 2021 T@B400...and got stuck at step 1!!
    The C terminal has two white wires...per the Dometic schematic, one is 115V nuetral, the other goes to a PTCR (opt) - which I had to look up, but is a starting device ("Precision Temperature Coefficient Resistor, usually called a PTCR device or PTCR start device").

Am I correct that the white wire we are supposed to remove is the PTCR wire?
    Thanks in advance.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Hey @ChrisFix the first wire stumped me for a second as well. 

If you’re looking at the capacitor it’s the white wire closest to the back left. The other white one I believe has a blue stripe on it as well. 

Sorry I’m not by my computer for a better screen shot but it’s the one essentially against the same wall with the green board. 

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    I've thought about adding Soft Start but can't justify the effort/expense.
    T@B is a 320S with the window 5K BTU air conditioner (I like the window A/C).

Generator/Inverter is a simple Chinese i2000 rated at 1800 watts and 2000 watts peak.
    Once the generator is fully warmed up it runs the A/C just fine in ECO Mode instead of full open throttle.  Generator has a 1.1 US gallon fuel tank and while I've not run it dry . . . after 5-6 hours of running A/C it will take 0.8 to 1.0 gallon of fuel to top off the tank.  In the western states that tend to have lower humidly and normally see the ambient cool 30+F** at night this is an acceptable set-up and I have not had to deal with "how to install the Soft Smart" on such a small unit . . .
    ** excluding the late 2021 June 120-year record breaking Heat Wave we just survived.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    @MuttonChops
    I wouldn't think you'd need SoftStartRV or Micro-Air Easy Start with the 5K window A/C...
    But the T@B 400 Coolcat definitely benefits from it for the edge use cases of 15A home hook-ups and smaller gensets like the Champion Dual Fuel 2500 discussed in this thread.

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    My installation journey - Updated after my unsuccessful first attempt!!:

For the benefit of anyone else installing the SoftStarRV - here are my observations from installing the SoftStartRV:

- Step 1 & 2 of the SoftStart installation sheet for the Dometic Coolcat requires removal of "the white wire" located on the C terminal of the main capacitor. Trouble is for the uninitiated, there are two white wires connected to the C terminal of the capacitor, neither of which go to the compressor R (run) terminal. One White wire is the 115V Neutral from the power mains, the other White wire is to the fan motor.

I *believe* the SoftStart installation sheet is incorrect here, and it is the White/Blue wire that is needed in step 1. If you look at the SoftStart schematic, the "White" wire goes to the Run terminal of the compressor, but if you look at the Coolcat schematic, it is clearly the White/Blue wire. 
    I initially mistakenly installed the SoftStart using what I now know to be the Fan Neutral wire, and while the Coolcat would start, the compressor wouldn't run. 

- Also the crimp-on female spade connectors provided with the SoftStart won't fit into the K1 (or as labeled by SoftStart "K4") relay male spade. Plan on having an alternative, smaller profile female spade connector on hand.

- Lastly, as @evdvorkin already pointed out, the K1/K4 relay wire needed for installation is the Blue/Black wire... which is alternately called Blue and then Black in the SoftStartRV installation sheet for the Dometic Coolcat.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    **UPDATE** SOLVED

For MY Coolcat, the proper wire that is needed in step 1 of the SoftStart intallation sheet is the Compressor Run wire (R), which is White/Blue on MY Coolcat. 
    Please ensure if you are installing a SoftStart that you confirm with YOUR Coolcat schematic to determine the appropriate wiring.

And as already discussed by @evdvorkin, the step 5 and step 6 instructions actually refer to the Coolcat's Blue/Black wire connected to the NO terminal of the K1 relay, as seen on the Coolcat schematic above...but again, check your schematic as it may be different, although the key functions are the same.
    ********************************************************************************************
    @evdvorkin or anyone else who knows the answer:
    I installed the SoftStart...and thought everything was okay and working, but went out to check on how the air conditioner was running last night, to find that although the fan was on, and the Coolcat would cycle on and off in response to raising or lowering the thermostat, the compressor wasn't on and no cold air was being made. While it isn't included in the info provided with the SoftStart, I found the LED status meaning on their Troubleshooting webpage. 
    LED1 is Green and LED2 is Red for about 3 minutes after the Coolcat starts, but no compressor. Then it retries to start the compressor, and LED1 is Red and LED2 turns off. This sequence is described by SoftStart, and indicates a "abnormal compressor"...and the SoftStart remains in this protection mode, with LED1 Red until the Coolcat is manually turned off.
    Since I know the compressor is not "abnormal", and was running perfectly before the SoftStart, and is running perfectly after I just removed the SoftStart wiring, there must be something mis-wired.

@evdvorkin - at the end of your video, I notice that your LED status lights are exactly like mine (LED1 Green, LED2 Red) which indicates that your compressor isn't being turned on either. Have you used your Coolcat since installing the SoftStart and is it cooling? Does your LED1 turn Red and remain Red after the initial 3 minutes and retrying to start the compressor?
    I'm sure there is just one wire off here.
    The key thing from SoftStart as related to the LED status in your video is "If the SoftStartRV output is connected to the compressor, LED2will extinguish in the range of 0.2 to 1.5 seconds, and only LED1 is on green." LED2 remains Red in your video, which I suspect is the same issue I'm haveing.

From SoftStart's Troubleshooting webpage:

Testing The Functioning Of The SoftStartRV Unit

1. Input 110v at the Red/Black wires, and ensure that the Yellow wire, the Brown wire and the Blue wire from the product are not short-circuited.
    1. Observe three indicator lamps LED1(the left one, red-green double-color lamp), LED2 (the middle one, red lamp), LED3 (the right one, red lamp). When the power is turned on, LED3 first lights up for about 0.5 second.
    1. Then LED1lights up green, LED2 lights up red at the same time, if the SoftStartRV output is not connected to the compressor, LED2 will extinguish and LED1 will light up red after 1 second.
    1. If the SoftStartRV output is connected to the compressor, LED2will extinguish in the range of 0.2 to 1.5 seconds, and only LED1 is on green.
    1. If the compressor is abnormal (eg. locked-rotor state) and cannot start normally, the SoftStartRV will enter the protection state. At this time, LED1lights up green and LED2 lights up red, LED2 will maintain red for 3 minutes, then the SoftStartRV will restart the compressor. If the second start fails again, LED2 will extinguish and LED1 will maintain red all the time, until the compressor is manually powered off.
  • Options
    SoftStart installed and running beautifully! Champion 2500 Dual Fuel arrives next week. Look forward to testing this combo out on our next boondocking trip.

• Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    @evdvorkin
    Thank you for the guide. I hope to get my SoftStart installed soon. Question - does your champion start easily on propane? Mine takes a combo of priming, starter pulls, and yelling at it before it will finally start up.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    @ChrisFix
    Awesome I am glad you got it all locked in!! 

@rhyno
    I actually had to get a second one, the first one I got wouldn't work on propane at all. Camping World replaced it for free which was nice. The second one is no problem after a few priming pulls it's good to go. I have seen some forums out there that said some of them need to be on a spot in between gas and propane to start. That is of course ridiculous, for the price it should work how it's designed on not on some magical area on the dial. 
  • Options
    I installed my SoftStart today with no issues after following the guidance on this thread. I can confirm that our Champion 2500 does run the Coolcat in eco mode on propane.
  • Options
    DenverJaguarDenverJaguar Member Posts: 57
    rhyno said:
    I installed my SoftStart today with no issues after following the guidance on this thread. I can confirm that our Champion 2500 does run the Coolcat in eco mode on propane.
    What altitude do you run it at? I think there's a few percent loss in power for every 1,000 feet higher in altitude. I'm wondering if I'll be able to use a 2200 watt inverter when I camp (8,000 to 11,000 feet). 
  • Options
    @DenverJaguar - we are at 1000 feet here in KC. 
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Just wanted to give a thanks to @ChrisFix and @evdvorkin for the install tips (especially @evdvorkin video). I would've wasted so much time with the wiring if it weren't for their work. Got mine installed and running. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    @manyman297
    no worries glad we could help!
  • Options
    @manyman297
    Glad to help out fellow T@bbers...Hope the Softstart works out with regard to the low voltage issue from your generator.
  • Options
    @ChrisFix So far so good!
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    @ChrisFix @evdvorkin

Hey guys. Quick question. When you start your AC up is there a good 2-3 minute delay before the compressor kicks on? In the past before I installed the soft start the compressor would either kick on right after the fan started up or maybe 1 minute later. Just want to see if this is normal operation.

As a sidenote I can't believe how much more quiet it is when the compressor kicks on. I almost don't notice it when it cycles. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    @manyman297
    Yes, there is a longer delay than before installing it. But it all works very well. 
  • Options
    Spoke too soon. I think it needed to cycle a bit. Now it seems it’s back to normal operation. Compressor is kicking on within 30 seconds or so after the fan starts.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Now, if someone would post an equally well-done version using the Micro-air EasyStart, I would appreciate it.  ;)
  • Options
    Spoke too soon. I think it needed to cycle a bit. Now it seems it’s back to normal operation. Compressor is kicking on within 30 seconds or so after the fan starts.
    That delay happens at first but after a good amount of cycles that time does come down. 
  • Options
    @evdvorkin Yeah. Weird they don't mention that in the instructions. They just mention an initial delay the first time you start it. But then again, weird their instructions mention the wrong wires too. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    CRMaxsonCRMaxson Member Posts: 1
    I've updated instructions for installation of a SoftStartRV on my '23 T@G 400 Boondock. The instructions provided by SoftStart are for ROOFTOP Dometic units and will not work for Cool Cat units.

SoftStartRV Installation Instructions - 2023 NuCamp TAB 400.pdf
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited July 2023
    @XRMaxson thanks for the info. Any pertinent knowledge added to the collective here is always appreciated.

Although this does not affect me or my trailer, there are many members who can benefit directly and this is a service to many. Sometimes, we forget to thank our miriad contributors.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.