Options

Seeking Advice on Multiple Needs

Anyone else seeking to do something like this? 

We have a 2021 320 CS-S.

The fridge is small and I acquired a used ARB unit.  It is a great addition to our camping, but now I have two fridges to power.
With the CS-S (non-boondock) we did not get solar on the T@B, however, my experience has been that whenever possible I really try to park that camper in a shady spot anyway.  At the end of last year when we acquired it, I tried to keep the battery up with a 100 watt portable solar panel, but struggled to do so.

Therefore, I mounted two 100 watt panels over the bed cover of the 2015 Tundra in such a way that we could still access the bed and even get solar power as we drove down the road and keep the batteries in the T@B (twin six volt lead acid) topped off.  Solar extension cords often let us park the back end of the pickup in the sun.

I have the ARB mounted in the bed of the pickup on a slide out tray.  I would like to put my original 12 battery in the bed of the pickup with the ARB.  Handy in many ways - because as we separate from the camper we can do day trips and have one of our fridges with us.  Even handy on day trips when not camping. 

When towing the camper, can I split the solar power to two batteries?  Is it possible to put in a type of switch (what kind?) to allow me to throw all of the power to the sixes in the camper or to the 12 in the pickup or both?

Has anyone else tried to move solar power and twelve volt power between the TV and the T@B?  If so, what kind of connector did you use?  I tried an SAE last summer, but it unhooked on one one trip and I found it dragging on the ground (and ruined).  Easily fixed, but there must be a better way to connect.  Thought of using a second seven way, but don't think the connectors would be able to handle the heat coming through from the solar. 

I know this must sound confusing.  Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited June 2021
    I have the ARB mounted in the bed of the pickup on a slide out tray.  I would like to put my original 12 battery in the bed of the pickup with the ARB.  Handy in many ways - because as we separate from the camper we can do day trips and have one of our fridges with us.  Even handy on day trips when not camping. 

We use a similar setup using a Dometic CFX75, for similar reasons. I chose to power it with a Yeti Goal Zero because we didn't want to permanently mount a battery box in the bed of the TV.

When towing the camper, can I split the solar power to two batteries?  Is it possible to put in a type of switch (what kind?) to allow me to throw all of the power to the sixes in the camper or to the 12 in the pickup or both.

The research I have done suggests that you won't get a full charge on the larger of two unequal capacity battery banks. The solar controller will put them both in float mode when the smaller one is charged.
    An A/B type marine battery switch will allow to charge the banks independently. Blue Sea makes quality components (the factory installed some products of this brand in my 2019 320S and I have used them on boats in a saltwater environment). You may need to change the settings on your solar controller when switching banks if your banks are different chemistry.
    Has anyone else tried to move solar power and twelve volt power between the TV and the T@B?  If so, what kind of connector did you use?  I tried an SAE last summer, but it unhooked on one one trip and I found it dragging on the ground (and ruined).  Easily fixed, but there must be a better way to connect.  Thought of using a second seven way, but don't think the connectors would be able to handle the heat coming through from the solar. 

I have read on the forum where several folks have used Anderson type connectors between TV and T@B, This seems mostly to be able to handle higher current loads when adding DC to DC chargers. I use Anderson connectors to charge my Yeti off of briefcase solar (Although I need to add more panels to be effective). There are also MC4 connectors used commonly in solar applications. We have only used them in our T@B to make 'permanent' connections. My hands don't have the strength they once did and they are had to get apart without an appropriate tool (Many folks decry these tools though as ineffective).

Honestly though, I have never had issues with an SAE type connector. We have pulled small boat trailers from the Everglades to Northern Maine. The only disconnect I've ever had was when we jacknifed once to avoid an accident right in front of us.

Hope this all helps move your choices forward, one way or another...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 63
    Many thanks for all of your comments.  Especially the Yeti Goal Zero because it seems that it takes care of many other questions as well.