Options

Which Brake Controller with New Volvo XC90?

CaptenajCaptenaj Member Posts: 42
We are upgrading our Volvo V60 to a new Volvo XC90 to pull our 320 Boondock. On the V60 we used the Curt Echo wireless controller and hated it from day one. The brakes would grab almost every time we touched the brakes, even with the Max and Sensitivity dialed as far down as possible. After calls to Curt, our T@b dealer, and several Curt authorized dealers we gave up on it.  So we are looking at a wired controller. Are there any controllers that look OK and are maintenance free? Does anyone have a wired controller on the Volvo? Thanks.
2021 T@b 320 S

Comments

• Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    Dealer installed this brake controller and it has been 100% trouble free. 

Autowbrake - Plug and Tow Trailer Mounted Electric Brake Controller

2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Following.  I have an XC60 and got the Echo controller for several reasons and not entirely comfortable with it.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    Freespirit, the Autowbrake looks like an interesting option. It's certainly attractive and doesn't require drilling into my dash. Thanks.
    PNWtabber, why aren't you comfortable with the Echo?

I am hoping the trouble we've had with the Echo was related to the dopes as the dealership messing up the car wiring somehow and now that we're getting a new car, the Echo will work flawlessly. Hey, I can dream.
    2021 T@b 320 S
  • Options
    KatydidKatydid Member Posts: 43
    I went to a highly rated local trailer guy who wired and installed the Tekonsha Primus IQ Trailer Brake Controller ( proportional ) in my Audi, it turns out the dealers send their Audis to him to wire as it’s pretty complicated. It could not work better, it works in perfect harmony! I have been on road since the middle of December and have never had to adjust it. You can read the reviews on etrailer.com.
    2021 TAB 400BD; 2015 Audi Q5
    Boston Northshore
  • Options
    @Captenaj,
    1. I'm never 100% comfortable that I have the Echo unit securely seated into the plug and I'm always concerned it will "pop" out -- especially on a rough road.  It just never feels as secure as I think it should and It is one of the things I check every time I stop.
    2. As you said it seems to be very sensitive and grabby--perhaps because the T@B 320 is so light?  On our first trip with it, I got it adjusted so it stopped grabbing, and then when we left the campsite after 2 nights, it was grabbing again.  I almost feel like I need to readjust the settings every time I hook it up, which isn't the way it is supposed to work.
    3. I often use my phone for navigation, so if I had to hit the "big red button" on the brake controller app, it wouldn't be the top thing on my screen--could be an issue in an emergency.
    There isn't a lot of extra space in the XC60 cockpit and I couldn't figure where a brake controller would be mounted, but I am kind of wishing I had asked about it when I had the dealer do the hitch and wiring installation.  The one good thing about the Echo is we can change tow vehicles easily.

So far my XC60 is doing a fine job towing the T@B 320.  When it is time to replace the XC60, I might upsize, perhaps to an XC90, just to be safe.  We'll see.

• Options
    DenverJaguarDenverJaguar Member Posts: 57
    I have an XC90 and I plan to install the Autowbrake when my camper is delivered. The idea of having nothing to mess with inside my car is very appealing. 
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited July 2021
    I think that there is a Volvo-branded controller available - check the Swedeworks forum. As far as purchasing, I've had very good luck buying parts online from Tasca Volvo in RI. They discount genuine Volvo parts by about 30%.

Edit: I should have added that I initially wanted to use a hard-wired controller. While I could do all the wiring installation myself, I would still need to go to a Volvo shop for software reprogramming, driving the cost up considerably. I eventually went with the Prodigy RF. It uses a separate remote control unit, which I know many are trying to avoid, but it's an RF connection with a dedicated unit, not BT through your smartphone. And once you have the settings adjusted correctly (not a difficult process) you only need to mess with the controller in the event of a fishtail situation. Ours has worked very well and has the added benefit of being "portable", so it can be used in a second vehicle.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    @CharlieRN I may look into those other options.  I had the dealer do the hitch and wiring installation (in fact, the local shop that I've used in the past for hitches said they wouldn't touch the Volvo!).  The software update is important, from what I've heard.  When the trailer is connected, some settings are changed and the dashboard even displays a confirmation that the trailer is connected.

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @Captenaj
    Make sure you take a look at the Redarc brake controllers. They came out with a less expensive version last year, that would be my 1st choice. I use the more expensive elite, but it is a GREAT brake controller. Also takes up very little visible space on your dashboard. 
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brake-Controller/Redarc/RED24FR.html
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I recently bought a new tow vehicle, but there is now an airbag in the same area  under the steering column where my wired Tekonsha P2 was mounted on the previous same-model vehicle. I didn't want to drill into the dash so after much research, I bought a Tekonsha RF wireless controller that comes with an emergency controller that plugs into the tv's 12v port and displays readouts from the main controller that's mounted on the trailer frame. The handheld unit has the same function as does the Curt's phone app. The part that sold me on the Tekonsha was that the part on the trailer is drilled in permanently. I didn't like the Curt because the way it plugs into the 7-pin port looks inadequate.

We have now put over 7,000 miles on it going cross-country to uCamp21 and zig-zagging on the way back West. It does everything that the P2 did, to include displaying troubleshooting codes on the emergency controller in the tow vehicle, when appropriate. Well, we haven't needed to do any troubleshooting, so other than "c" for connected or "nc" for not connected, it has been flawless. It has proportional braking based on your speed and other conditions and it's not grabby at all. I heard that there is a new version 2 with Bluetooth, but we got a good deal via U-Haul for an original version. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    I second @ChrisFix's recommendation of the RedArc controllers.  I installed a Tow Pro Elite this year  and have been from the midwest out east through the heart of the Appalachians/Blue Ridge and back.  It performs extremely smoothly.  I came from a Curt Echo used a handfull of times last year and I noticed immediately that the brakes run much cooler.  I 'speculate' that the RedArc has a lot more granularity in the voltage it supplies to the T@B brakes - at least that's my guess as to why the RedArc is so much more controlled and smooth in its operation. 
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    Have a Tekonsha Primus IQ and it worked well for the first 18 months.  Now it goes through phases of being grabby, then working fine.  When our new TV arrives in November, I'll be installing the RedArc, not moving the Tekonsha.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    We finally got our XC90. When I hooked up our Curt Echo brake controller, the indicator did not light up. I called Curt who said that means there is no power coming through the 12V pin on the car. Volvo says that is as designed and if we want a brake controller, any brake controller including the Echo, we have to take the car to a third party and get it wired to supply power. Has anyone heard of this?
    2021 T@b 320 S
  • Options
    @Captenaj -- odd.  I had my hitch and wiring installed by my Volvo dealer (2015.5 XC60) and no problems.  When they did the wiring they had to do some reprogramming of the computer, when the trailer is plugged into the Volvo, I get a dashboard notice that the trailer is connected, and it makes some changes to the performance (I can't recall the details off the top of my head right now).  I just plug my brake controller and am good to go.  That being said, I sometimes have difficulty getting the Curt Echo unit to seat properly.  

I would test that there is power to to your 12-pin (attach the trailer cable and see if the lights work), if that works, the Curt Echo unit should work unless there is a defect in the Echo.  I don't know what your Volvo dealer is talking about.  And, actually, a local trailer hitch place I have used previously would not install the wiring on my Volvo.  Almost sounds like whoever did the wiring may have made a mistake?  Sorry.

• Options
    TerenceTerence Member Posts: 8
    Hey there, 

We had similar issues with the Curt Echo and have switched to the Prodigy RF wireless brake controller and we could not be happier.

It is a huge upgrade and has given us much more confidence in our brakes. We experienced many problems with the Echo including brakes locking up and activating randomly (!) and their tech support kept giving us a run around despite being within the warranty period. It was incredibly frustrating experience.

On the other hand, the prodigy rf is fairly straightforward to install (though you have to be comfortable drilling a few mounting holes into the trailer steel frame), and has worked flawlessly for us. Importantly, we also had excellent customer tech support when we needed it. Another point to mention is that you can use the prodigy rf on any tow vehicle since it's  wireless. 

Hope this helps.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    After a few calls to different Volvo dealers, contacting eTrailer, and calling Curt, I think I have an answer. Apparently there is no power to the 7-way until a trailer is plugged in and that is why the light on the Echo did not go on when it was first plugged in. Both Curt and eTrailer said some new cars, including the Volvo are wired in an odd way and once you plug in the trailer you are good to go. We did a 10 mile trip and the Echo performed better than it ever had with no grabbing at all. 

I was a little hesitant at first to believe it was functioning properly because when we first got our trailer the fuse to the 7-way was blown and we would only get power to the Echo once the trailer was plugged in (the trailer battery was supplying the Echo with power). It seems to be working OK though. I think once we have more time, I will take the trailer in to get a Prodigy RF installed and ditch the troublesome Echo for good.
    2021 T@b 320 S
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    Look at the Redarc Liberty Tow Pro at about $140. We love ours and install was simple. 
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO