CS (Clamshell) surprise opening

twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 197
It happened one afternoon on I94 eastbound just west of Miles City in eastern Montana.  It was over 90 degrees, sunny, and a bit humid.  My sister and I had a lot of trouble getting the clamshell to latch in the hot Montana sun before departure.  It felt like the clamshell itself had swelled because the latches were not catching the receiving pieces on the body.
While cruising east on I94, I noticed the black rubber strip (the one covering the bolts) had come loose and become a streamer.  Immediately after noticing that, I saw thin, white objects flying backwards from the clamshell.  The latches had given way and the clamshell was open!  Those white objects were sheets of paper towels having a party unrolling.  I didn't have duct tape with me (I do, now), so we did our best to close it again and proceed 7 miles to Miles City. Borrowed some tape from a nice semi trucker that asked how I liked the T@B because he and his wife were looking for something small.

Tape held the rest of the 700+ miles to home.  Have any other clamshell owners had this issue in the heat or any other conditions?  I don't trust those latches.  Seems like a design adjustment is in order and/or a second method of closure. I purchased the T@B early July 2014, so I am hoping the dealer and manufacturer will resolve under warranty.
Beth
Minnesota
Practicing to be a wanderer
Transitioned from 2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx to 2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Beth, they are the same latches  used on my Silver Shadow. If you unscrew the latch from the galley floor, put two or three simple metal washers under the latch, put the screws back in, and see if this brings the level up high enough for the latch to catch. I had 2 washers under the right side and 4 under the left side last winter. As I latched the SS's galley before I left Wednesday, I noticed that I really should have removed one set of washers from the left side. 

This is a common occurance, and this is how Ed or Marvin fixes the galley doors at the factory.   The level of humidity does affect how the doors fit. It's just a fact. It took a year for my right side to need washers and another 6 months for my left side to need them. 

And, in reading the forums of other manufacturers, it's not just Little Guy. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 197
    Thanks, Verna!  This is something manufacturers should really be sure to document and stress the importance of communicating to buyers/owners with the dealers.  
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Verna - question for you.  Do you think managing the latches with the addition and removal of washers is sufficient?  Do you know of anyone that has added another type of latch as a backup?  I'm a bit wary because of that experience.   :)
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Beth, this has happened on the LG forum.

The only other latch that I'm aware that was considered was one with a hook, instead of the straight piece latching behind the "handle-looking-mechanism".  I don't know if the person actually changed them out.

I do understand your concern, and it happened to me, but I realized it when I tugged on the galley door before leaving camp.

Yes, you get a little OCD about being sure to tug on the latch handle at every stop and a half a dozen times before you leave.

I was satisfied with the washers. It worked, and I made sure it was a tight fit since I figured out that humidity, or lack thereof,  was the culprit. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    Two words--bungee cords. I've never had mine come open but I read about it on the forum and was concerned. So, before I hit the road, i hook a bungee cord to underneath the t@b, loop it around the handle and hook it to a spot underneath. 
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
    Tabster - I was thinking about bungee cords while standing on the highway, but couldn't determine where to attach in my state of mind at the time.  Thank you thank you!!  I haven't run across any forum postings about this problem, so I was caught completely by surprise.
    Beth
    Minnesota
  • R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    So glad we heard about this before purchasing our special order CS-S.  Will definitely watch and add washers as needed.  

Bungee cords, great idea for added support and piece of mind.
  • NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Mine was able to be pulled open on a hot day in southern Utah. I added 4 washers under the left side and 2 on the right side and it is completely secure now. I have attempted to pull it open in everything from 23 degrees to 107 degrees.  It is solid now. I did use a bungee for several months until I was sure it would stay shut in all weather and conditions.
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    The Dutchman hatch system seems to be better in that regard. Instead of having to add washers, there is an adjustment with an allen wrench to move the "lever" up and down to catch firmly on the plate.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
    Mouseketab - The dealer did mention that the lever could be adjusted with an allen wrench, but we didn't get into details.  I didn't think about scenarios of how/why, but I wonder if that's the fix.  I will check it out and share my findings.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    The Dutchman hatch system seems to be better in that regard. Instead of having to add washers, there is an adjustment with an allen wrench to move the "lever" up and down to catch firmly on the plate.

Sometimes that just doesn't work on the LG products.  I tried that last winter in Arizona, and it just wouldn't reach the "handle" on the floor. It took the washers to get the "handle" up high enough for the lever to reach.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • ronin718ronin718 Member Posts: 92
    Would it be possible to get a picture of this washer scenario?  Thanks.

John & Lori in Northern VA
    Former owner of 2015 T@B CS Max "Uteki" aka "H@wk T@B"
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road "Zame"

Sorry, I no longer have Silver Shadow....I know there are picture in the Little Guy forum if you want to go there to search. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • ronin718ronin718 Member Posts: 92
    Okay, thanks Verna

John & Lori in Northern VA
    Former owner of 2015 T@B CS Max "Uteki" aka "H@wk T@B"
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road "Zame"

• NomadPilgrimNomadPilgrim Member Posts: 111
    My first post and I'm worried! I pick up my 2016 CS S Maxx Monday.  What size allen wrench andb diameter washers to come prepared?! Tenacious tape is my best friend: no sticky residue like duct tape, waterproof and, well, tenacious. Thanks for potentially saving me from disaster! @twocutes
    2016 T@B Maxx CS-S  following a 2008 4Runner Ltd

Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.-
    Paulo Coelho
    NomadPilgrim - Tenacious tape?  Do tell!  I do have duct tape residue, but figure I'll wait for a boring day to get out the Goo Gone.  I haven't yet researched the wrench size, but will likely this weekend. I eyeballed the clamshell latch and selected the washer size in the photo, but have not yet tested it.  I will post results when I do.  I would also use bungee cords (thanks, Tabster) as backup security, especially for long trips.  This will provide peace of mind, as you cannot see if the clamshell is open from a driving position in the TV.  I only knew because I saw the flying sheets of paper towel.  I do wish I was able to capture that in video - precious!   :o
    Beth
    Minnesota
    I bought this "knife" type gizmo that has half-dozen allen wrenches that swing up of various sizes. 
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
    Carol - You just reminded me that I have a bike tool with all sizes that I can try - thanks!
    Beth
    Minnesota
    OK, never mind the bicycle tool - it's metric - duh!  
    Clamshell latch receiver on galley floor (3rd photo) fits S-2 square recess (I also have one marked R-2 that works)
    Clamshell latch adjustment on clam (1st photo) fits 1/8" hex/Allen (one of my T20 heads also worked, but the other didn't)
    Second photo shows what I think to be the correct application of 2 washers to raise the bracket
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Yes, Beth, that is how I did my Silver Shadow. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • RollandRolland Member Posts: 8
    To all you Clamshell Owners out there, how     does the smaller 2 way frig work for you ???  The kitchen area is like twice the size of the Max internal kitchen and storage with the cool pass-thru is nearly three to four times bigger.   
  • SlangeSlange Member Posts: 11
    We have a 2015 Sofitel CS with the 2-way fridge and it has worked very well.  No issues staying cold while traveling even with outside temperature approaching 100 F.  It does seem that the thermostat needs to be adjusted to a lower temp if the outside temperature is high and you are going to leave the lid closed for an extended period.  If you don't reset at night, things can freeze!

Steve
    West Chester, Ohio; 2015 Sofitel CS; 2015 Ford Escape

Steve
  • RollandRolland Member Posts: 8
    Thank You Slange for the info.  If I am correct, the 2-way means 12 VDC or 110 VAC.  Also, I didn't know you could get a Sofitel in CS, very nice.
  • SlangeSlange Member Posts: 11
    Rolland, you are correct that the 2-way is DC or AC.  According to the dealer when we bought our T@B, the CS in the Sofitel trim was rare.  It has been working out very well for us and our two labs!

Steve
    Steve
  • dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    The two way fridge is awesome and the freezer keps ice cream frozen!  Love the big kitchen.  Wouldn't have it any other way!
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

Rolland said:
    To all you Clamshell Owners out there, how     does the smaller 2 way frig work for you ???  The kitchen area is like twice the size of the Max internal kitchen and storage with the cool pass-thru is nearly three to four times bigger.   
    The small fridge works GREAT for us. Have no issues except for one annual trip we make to WDW for two weeks where we do a lot of cooking and potlucks with friends. For that trip we bring a 4.1 CF Fridge/Freezer. (It does fit through the T@B door) and rides inside the T@B for the drive. Of course, it rides there and back empty, and we stock up upon arrival, and defrost the day before leaving.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • matthewphoffmatthewphoff Member Posts: 1
    My first post to the forum. New owners of a CS-S MAX.  We experienced a similar incident on our maiden voyage cross country.  On I-40 in AZ, a driver pulled along side us to tell us the clamshell hatch was open.  We were in very high winds up to 40 MPH hitting us broadside. Not terribly hot. We immediately pulled over an examined the hatch. Fortunately no damage to hinges etc. but I noticed that the levers on the handle posts had slid down the post about a half inch. At first I figured we must not have properly latched the hatch and the levers were left on the outside of the brackets rather than inside.  They bounced against the brackets, -pushing the levers down the post. Easy fix, right? With Allen wrench, loosen the levers and move them back to the ends of the posts.  But after doing that, the levers no longer reached below the brackets and would not latch. Theory changed. Hatch was properly closed and locked.  Wind seeped behind the door as we travelled creating pressure against the levers and bending the handle posts. When the posts bent sufficiently, the levers slipped over the brackets and now were banging against the brackets (as in my 1st theory).  I think the design problem is (1) the material used in the posts is too soft and (2) the levers don't reach down far enough to begin with.  We will use the added washers fix -- but WE WILL ALWAYS BUNGEE FROM NOW ON.