Remove panel behind toilet 2021 Tab 320

Hi… I am sure this has been discussed but I can’t find the thread.  I have a new 2021 T@B 320 S… and I need to remove the panel behind the toilet to check the hose connections.  Do I simply “pop off” the the little buttons / covers and will find screws under them?   Thank you!

Comments

• WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    Exactly. Pop off the white buttons and you will find square drive screws, #1 I think but not sure. Some folks dislike the square drive screws. You have to get a special screwdriver for them. I personally like them. I was introduced to them in woodworking, especially boat building. The head grips better than a slotted or Phillips screw.  

You will also find the Alde expansion tank behind the panel. Check the level while you’re there. You can find more info if you search for “expansion tank.”
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
    Thank you @WayneW.  I assumed that was the case but just wanted to double check.  I too like the square (Robertson?) drive screws .. for me they have a better “bite” for the driver.  

Appreciate the tip for the Alde… will take a look!
  • CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    edited July 2021
    I was a bit disappointed to see that nuCamp uses wood screws in this application, even though they are of the Robertson type. The panel needs to be removed on a fairly regular basis, which will result in the coarse thread of the screws enlarging its corresponding hole in the soft plywood surround over time. I was also worried about the durability of the plastic cover plates for the screws.
    My "upgrade" consisted of replacing the square drive screws with hangar bolts, one end of which has coarse wood threading and the other having machine screw threads. In the photo below, you will see that the panel is now held in place with ss hex cap nuts bearing on a ss washer.  Perhaps a little obsessive on my part, but an easy and inexpensive modification that will allow the panel to removed and replaced many times without problem.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
    @CharlieRN this is an excellent idea and one that I will "borrow".  Thank you for this suggestion!
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,409
    You can also get threaded inserts that accept standard sized screws. The insert stays fixed in the plywood (top photo), and the screw threads into the insert to hold the panel in place (bottom photo). That's what I used when I was forced to make my own access panel to fix a leak.

I do like the look of a nice cap nut, though...  :-)
    2015 T@B S