Options

Where to camp the end of October?

StacieStacie Member Posts: 11
edited July 2015 in Camping & Travel
Hi!  We are located in the Denver area and would like  to camp the end of October.  We would like to be within 4-6 hours away from Denver.  Any suggestions? :)

Comments

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

So many choices, so little time.  I'd say you could head anywhere in a westerly direction, travel 4-6 hours, stop, and you'd be fine.  Of course, some of the higher elevations might be a little snowy that time of year, but you can't go wrong with Rocky Mountain National Park any time of year.  Have fun.  Be safe.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Ridgway State Park in the San Juan is open year-round and has beautiful views or Moab would both be in that range. Both would be excellent choices. There a number of places you could camp in Moab. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Patti said:

Larry, have you been there in the winter, in the snow? What is it like?
    No, Patti.  Last week of September is latest I've been there.  I'm sure winter would be great.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I love Moraine in RMNP :)
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    OrygunOrygun Member Posts: 17
    edited July 2015
    Riana Campground(US Army Corps of Engineers) is a gem. It overlooks Abiquiu Lake in northern New Mexico, in the heart of Georgia O Keeffe country. Inexpensive, fishing, kayaking, glorious hiking country. Very remote, though, if you like to be close to large towns. Also very much in the open, and can be windy and cold. But the views are stupendous. I took the photo while hiking on the ridge above the CG. The upper loop, within view, all have hookups but were taken when I arrived. I camped in the lower loop by the water, but no hookups. Very quiet in May when I was there. Of note, no lake access from the campground, one must drive just a little bit.
  • Options
    StacieStacie Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for all the great suggestion! :)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    And if you want something close to Santa Fe, a COE campground at Cochiti Lake is nice - I stayed there 3 days and then headed up to Riana - rained all three days I was at Riana though. Get one of the new pads on the east end - concrete pads, walkways and picknic areas - nice new bathrooms/showers. Can pick up light rail to either Santa Fe or Albuquerque 15 miles away.