Axle replacement on 2011 T@B

EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
edited July 2021 in Factory Comments
SUGGESTIONS WANTED. My 2011 T@B has been sitting in South Fork CO for nearly a month as the RV service manager tries to locate an axle with hydraulic brakes. It's a long story, but the bottom line is that I need it repaired. They refuse to install a used axle, they refuse to install an electric-brake axle, and they refuse to convert an electric axle to hydraulic! I've posted this on other sites, but do not yet have a practical solution. Any suggestions how I might help them find the OEM axle, or how I might push them to some alternative solution? 
Stancil Campbell
2011 T@B
Rockingham, NC

Comments

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    See if you can contact Dexter Axles (dexteraxles.com). I don't know if they were the axles used in the original build but they do make axles with surge brakes.
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    @Estancio
    Might be helpful to list out the various suggestions, from your Facebook post, that have been researched and rejected with why rejected - - .

That way this thread might lead you to a New Solution Faster then getting all those rejected options re-discussed.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    MuttonChops, Basically the suggestions made previously were: contact nucamp, contact dexter, looks for a used axle, move the camper to another shop. As best I can tell, nucamp nor dexter have helped the RV shop (or possibly the shop refuses their help). I found a used axle which the shop refuses to install. I am 1800 miles away from the camper and in no position to get it moved to another shop. 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• KimballKimball Member Posts: 6
    I also have a 2011. In 2016 my axel needed repair in Oregon. Luckily the 5 Star RV shop had a Al-Ko trailer expert visiting. They removed my axel, repaired it, promised it would out live the Teardrop and delivered it to within 100 miles from my California home.
    the RV dealer was I-5 RV Sales and Service.  They are a long way from Colorado but they may know of someone in Colorado ?

I have a question… I bought used and there are NO trailer weight rating tags anywhere on the vehicle, not on the tongue or interior of the T@B. 
    Since it’s a 2011 year,  built between DM/Little Guy/ Pleasant Valley Trailer years there is no documentation held at NuCamp.
    could you possibly share the numbers on your rig ?
    I have the U-Shape interior, no shower.  It’s gotta be pretty light, maybe 1600 lbs, but I don’t know the payload weight or the GVWR…
    thanks.
    edited August 2022
    Kimball, lucky for you that you were able to get your axle repaired by an "al-ko expert." I'm curious what they did exactly for that repair. Sounds like we have the same version of the T@B, built by Little Guy at Pleasant Valley with Dutchman parts. Here is a copy of my 2011 VIN sticker so you can get details of weight. (By the way, my axle was replaced last fall with a current model axle —  bad fit, poor clearance, damaged the camper during the repair, and the RV shop charged me TWICE their written estimate. Never stop at Colorado RV Centre in South Fork, CO!)
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• KimballKimball Member Posts: 6
    This is great! Thank you so much !
    The axle actually slipped forward causing door side tire to rupture.
    They took off the axle off, rebuilt, stress tested and reattached just behind original position.  The guy explained it was never installed properly.  
    With this weight info, I’ll be more confident traveling down the road !
    Thanks again,
    Barbara

Kimball, glad that you were able to get yours back on the rad, even though like mine, things are not exactly installed the original way. Safe travels!
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC