Options

Norcold won't stay lit

Hi all. Question. I have a new Max Q and am having trouble igniting the fridge. I'll hold the red button down for 30 seconds-the limit says the manual- and green flame light goes out right away upon release. Any tips? BTW great info all of you!

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Brettster, try holding the button for a minute.  That's what I was told last week and there was a discussion recently about that.  Do a search on fridge or Norcold or propane and you'll find a number of discussions about it.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    75% of the time mine goes out on the first attempt but stays on the second try.
  • Options
    BrettsterBrettster Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the advice! I'll try the minute hold. (Heading out on our first camp Saturday! Really pumped.)
  • Options
    Hey Verna, I held the button down for 45 s. It stayed lit! And, I did not blow my self up! Thanks!
  • Options
    Brettster said:
    Hey Verna, I held the button down for 45 s. It stayed lit! And, I did not blow my self up! Thanks!

Oh, Cool!!!  I love when it works!

I'll tell you the best thing.....I've not used mine on propane yet ;)  It's not that I'm afraid of blowing myself up.....I've only camped in my T@B for one night since I just picked it up last Wednesday afternoon.  I'll try it on propane in the next 3 weeks of camping ;)

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Don't have my manual handy but boy, 45 seems way, way over what I recall the upper limit to be. Above a certain limit, I think you can burn out or damage the igniter. I've always used 10 sec and if it doesn't stay lit, hit another 10. I thought that was the eventual advice of the referenced discussions.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I agree with PXLated.  I actually usually get lucky on the first try, but I only try ten to fifteen seconds at a time so as not to burn out the ignition switch.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Holding the red button in has no effect on the igniter. Once the green light comes on the burner is lit. Holding the red button in allows gas to flow long enough to allow thermocouple to heat up which allows gas to continue to flow once the button is released. Holding the button in for an extended period once the burner lights creates no danger. If the light goes out after button is released it means the thermocouple did not get hot enough to open the gas valve.  Hope this helps.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Thank you. Good to know. Don't know if it mattered but I first fired up the stove for a bit to get a good gas flow. The fridge fired right up. Stuff is brand new too.   
  • Options
    Purging air from gas lines always a good place to start.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    dalehelman - Why does the manual warn not to hold it in too long.
  • Options
    The warning is if the burner does not light ie no green light. Once it lights the igniter deactivates, and the button allows the gas to continue to flow. If it does not light the igniter continues to spark even if the button is not depressed. The button only controls gas flow.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
  • Options
    Your welcome. I do not mean to sound like a know it all. Just trying to help.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    That was helpful...
    We need all the knowledge and help we can find :-)
  • Options
    Dale, thank you for your information and the willingness to help here.  That's what is so great about these two forums.  We all help each other.  Keep it up !
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Cool!  No pun intended.  Great info.  
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Holding the red button in has no effect on the igniter. Once the green light comes on the burner is lit. Holding the red button in allows gas to flow long enough to allow thermocouple to heat up which allows gas to continue to flow once the button is released. Holding the button in for an extended period once the burner lights creates no danger. If the light goes out after button is released it means the thermocouple did not get hot enough to open the gas valve.  Hope this helps.
    Great information, totally different then how I understood it worked.

I guess I have always simply been lucky that it starts with little trouble, though I don't use it on propane too often.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA