Options

Useful advice for maintaining your lithium batteries

I thought this had some good info on how best to preserve and extend the life of your lithium batteries.
2019 T@B 400
2017 Highlander Limited Platinum

Comments

• Options
    jebjamjebjam Member Posts: 43
    Thanks for posting!  I just replaced the standard battery in my 320 boondock with lithium, and after reading on this forum decided to leave the stock Victron charger in place.  The 320's Victron will only charge to 85 - 95% of the lithium battery's capacity, but solar can bring it up to 100% for trips when needed.  If the likable nerd in this video is credible, it seems this is ideal for lithium battery life, correct?

Several on this forum have replaced the stock charger with one specifically for lithium batteries that can bring the charge to 100%, or purchased a stand alone charger capable of doing the same (which seems reasonable if you don't have solar, or don't want to rely on that).  I considered doing the same (my T@B is stored indoors so will only receive wall charge until we plan a trip) but according to this video the current setup, which really simplifies conversion to Lithium, seems not just ok but ideal.  Storing at less than 100% capacity is a good thing, and that's what happens with the stock charger.
    2021 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock / 2020 Ram 3.0 EcoDiesel
    Golden, CO
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 145
    jebjam said:
    … according to this video the current setup, which really simplifies conversion to Lithium, seems not just ok but ideal.  Storing at less than 100% capacity is a good thing, and that's what happens with the stock charger.
    Excellent point @jebjam!  I’m no expert, and maybe one will chime in, but if you want to go for the recommended partial state of charge then the stock charger seems ideal.  I’d think you might want to shut it off when you get to the desired level to avoid any excess heat.
    BTW, Will Prowse has an excellent reputation and lots of good YouTube videos.
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited Platinum