Options

U-Bolt size for spare on tongue

mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
I read somewhere the u-bolts to use with the Ultra Tow Spare Tire Carrier were 2 1/4" --- I assume that's the length. Does anyone have the width those bolts need to be? I plan on mounting on the tongue in front of the cover. Thanks - Michele
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I thought the 2.25 was the width. Also, I thought they required 2.5". I'm sure someone who has done this will comment.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Mickietucs, we just did the spare tire move this past weekend and I'm pretty sure 2.25 was the width. I'll check when I get home.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    Okay. Could you also post the length then? Thanks!

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Mickietucs, we just did the spare tire move this past weekend and I'm pretty sure 2.25 was the width. I'll check when I get home.
    Were you able to find the length of the bolts? Also which spare tire carrier (and model) did you use (and did you mount the tire in front of the cover or on the side of the frame)? I thought Gil used the Ultra Tow Spare Tire Carrier but don't know the model. Thanks.

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited July 2015
    I'm really sorry - haven't been able to get the bolt measurements -- the T@b's in storage and I'm working all day each day this week. We got the tire mount at Harbor Freight in Tucson (Haul-Master, item # 93341 -- $27.99) but had to get the U bolts at a hardware store nearby. We attached the tire to the jack, rear facing in front of the battery/propane cover, resting in the center on the tongue frame. I think someone on here with a green/white T@b has a similar configuration.

( edit) Found the thread, scroll up too:
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/13529/#Comment_13529

We also put a piece of wire mesh across the bottom of the battery/propane cover so we could just throw the sewer hose in there and not have to bungee it to everything. The mesh is just wired to the crosspieces underneath the cover. We may be camping up at Canyon Lake this weekend if it isn't too hot, or otherwise I'll get out to the T@b and get a picture to post.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    I'm really sorry - haven't been able to get the bolt measurements -- the T@b's in storage and I'm working all day each day this week. We got the tire mount at Harbor Freight in Tucson (Haul-Master, item # 93341 -- $27.99) but had to get the U bolts at a hardware store nearby. We attached the tire to the jack, rear facing in front of the battery/propane cover, resting in the center on the tongue frame. I think someone on here with a green/white T@b has a similar configuration.

( edit) Found the thread, scroll up too:
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/13529/#Comment_13529

We also put a piece of wire mesh across the bottom of the battery/propane cover so we could just throw the sewer hose in there and not have to bungee it to everything. The mesh is just wired to the crosspieces underneath the cover. We may be camping up at Canyon Lake this weekend if it isn't too hot, or otherwise I'll get out to the T@b and get a picture to post.
    Thanks bgualtieri - those details help tremendously. Gil did something similar and now that I have the Harbor Freight info, I'll get over there this weekend and also to a hardware store. The dealer said he'll put it on (I'm bringing the parts). Speaking of that, I misunderstood LG's email to the dealer (thinking it left the factory Tues) - but when he said "it goes on Tues", he meant it gets in the production line! The dealer said once it reaches that point it's not long at all. Will need to coordinate the shipment as I know they have to have a full load to leave. Guessing it'll be in a few more weeks.