Options

Tow height with new TV

rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
edited August 2021 in Trailer & Towing
We bought a Lexus GX 460 to tow our 400 and got a 4" rise hitch to get the top of ball to 21" when hitched up. The rear squats about 2.5" and the wheel wells drop about about 1.5" in the back and rise about .75" up front when hitched up.
We don't have anything loaded for a trip yet, but wanted some feedback on whether this looks like the right level. Any feedback is appreciated.

2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    That's a lot of squat in the rear. Visually it doesn't look too bad but 2.5" of squat seems like quite a bit. My Tacoma would squat maybe 1"-1.5" and I felt that was too much. I ended up getting sumo springs to correct the squat. Not sure they make them for your Lexus but they might be worth looking into. 

BTW, good color choice on the 400. Exactly the same as ours  B)
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,277
    @manyman297 … Recently purchased sumosprings for my Wrangler. Haven’t installed yet. What do you think? Are you happy with the results?
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Yeah. So I originally installed Hellwig helper springs but they creaked and the edges actually gouged my frame at some point (had them on for maybe two weeks). Their solution was to grind the edges of the springs which didn’t give me much confidence in them. 

So I returned them and got the sumo springs. Way easier to install and it actually got rid of the body roll in the rear axle. They do harshen the ride a little…you notice the extra bounce. But overall they’ve been great.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    @rhyno
    That level looks fine.  My Highlander has similar squat, which I didn't notice when driving.  After a year I added Sumo helper spring inserts, which helped a bit.  They can be installed with the wheels installed, though you'll have more room to work with without the trailer attached.  ;)
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    Thank you for the responses. We will see how it tows once we get the engine broken in.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO