Options

Tips for a Newbie before my Saturday pickup?

Hello T@b pals, 
So happy to be a new member of this group.  I have been stalking T@bs for at least 6 or 7 years.   But stuck close to tent and cabin camping,  and most recently owned a great little 1965 Little Gem Bugg vintage camper. But as much as I loved my little canned ham- the old gal's temperamental personality, mechanical quirks and issues, and the cost I needed to put into complete renovation, all became liabilities.  I needed to finally get something modern, self-sustaining, and built to put on the miles I want to put on with my English Bulldog. 

That brings me to today-I have a brand new Yellow/White 2015 T@b S waiting for me at a dealer 300 miles away and I am going to pick her up on Saturday morning. Thanks to the great tips you all have given in this forum, I have already asked for the following as add-ons:
Moving spare tire to the hitch
Adding vent cover
Adding the full awning
T@b cover  (my indoor storage can be limited)
Electric brakes
they are also setting up my vehicle to charge off my battery 

Anything else you would recommend?  I won't be able to get back to my dealer much once I make my purchase, so want to do what I can to be fully set up now.

Thanks!
Jody
2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator

Comments

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    The fridge vent fan mod?
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67
    Oh that's right. That is the modification to keep the fridge from getting so hot?  Do the dealers know what to do?  It is a later 2015. 

2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    I think they have to contact Little Guy to find out. That's what my dealer did (2015 T@b bought in May this year).
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I had them fire up the fridge on propane before I arrived as well as the Alde to save a trip back. If they are close by, not such a big deal, but if you are driving, it is worth it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Have them run water through your system--from a hose hookup, from the water tank (make sure the water pump pumps).  Let the clear water come out of the gray water hookup.  I think they even ran clear water through the toilet to make sure the black water tank and toilet was working. 

Verify that all of the lights work--inside and out.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Have them run the hot water heater and the Alde (can be done before you get there) to make sure they work.  Have them check the glycol level (can also be done before you get there).
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Have I told you all how much I enjoy you already?  Thanks for the tips. They are great.  Hate to be trashing on my vintage camper friends, but at times there was a bit of an elitist vibe amongst them, and more exclusive than inclusive. 

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Leveling blocks, chocks, hitch lock.
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304

Sewer hose and chemicals for the black tank.

The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have not seen a surge protector mentioned. I had the dealer install an in-line surge protector and I am really glad I did. It did it's job at a CG that had reversed polarity at the pole. It's nice to not have one more thing to set up, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Surge protector is another great idea. Thanks Jenn!

• Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    If you aren't into chemicals to treat the gray and black tanks, there are less toxic alternatives.  I use a Borax solution with essential oil of choice.  There are a multitude of recipes found on the internet.  Admittedly, I use campground or other facilities more often than the black tank, but I have found no need to use RV chemicals to keep the tanks clean and free of odors.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    HI Everybody! Thanks again for your tips. I had sent a list to my dealer on Thursday to prep, and was all ready to leave early yesterday morning for the 4 hr. trip. Cue super bad storms in the Twin Cities Friday night and a bad cleanup from my trees. 

Got out a little late and made it to my dealer an hour late.  They did the whole walk through in the pouring rain, got my vent cover, had to recheck the right awning, T@b cover, etc. Able to get one of the fresh water spouts and some mini levels thrown in. Since this is my first time with propane in a camper, plus the battery, I know there are a lot more things to manage. I felt pretty good about going through and figuring things out with the dealer staff showing me only when I got stuck. Best way for me to learn.   Only disappointed they couldn't move the spare tire, and also hadn't cleaned the camper to have it pristine.  There are some little stains from what looks to be dripping from the front window and perhaps a little bit of grease mixed in?  Was first thing I noticed and dealer said oh that should come clean, couldn't get to i. After over 4 hours on the road and it being just me showing up 1 1/2 hour later, I think I wore out, versus asking them to address it right away.  Scrubbed hard today-will also try Goo Gone and you can bet I will be calling dealer tomorrow. Hate to think that is why they didn't clean-either didn't get time, or knew it would take special elbow grease.

Regardless, love my camper, and going through everything and staying in it tonight in the driveway since I got back way too late last night to stop at a campground. .

thanks again folks for all your help.  Now on to naming her and pulling what I want from my vintage camper before getting her ready for her ad photos. 

Jody
    Minneapolis
    2015 Tab S  2015 Volkswagen Tiguan SE TV
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    Congrats on your new Tab S.  Look forward to your tips and stories. 
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    I love every special mark, ding, scratch,and fault in my T@B.  It is what makes it mine.  I would not trade them for any "perfect" one out there, if they even exist. I would be afraid to camp in a perfect one.  I am not afraid to live in mine  ;) Enjoy your new T@B and let the memories pile up.

Congrats and have fun!
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    Great advice normfun!  Told my dealer about the streaks and they are sending out two products that they use to help clean up without hurting the finish.  one is a wash/wax, one is a streak remover.  So glad to get the fast service.

• Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    Jody - you mentioned "Moving spare tire to the hitch".  Seems to be a good idea.
    I would like to do the same.  Advice for Pro/Con, work/cost estimate?  TIA
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Playc - There's several threads about moving the tire to the tongue with a couple different ways to mount it - Quite a few of us have done that. Try a search and you should be able find them.
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    You'll also need something to use to level the T@b side to side. I just bought the Anderson Camper Leveler ($42); very easy to use. Don't forget a water pressure device to ensure that incoming water pressure is not over 50 psi, and a water filter. And unless your dealer throws these in for free you should buy a white water hose, an electrical extension, and adapter so that you can use 110 power at home, and a surge protector. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    Playc said:
    Jody - you mentioned "Moving spare tire to the hitch".  Seems to be a good idea.
    I would like to do the same.  Advice for Pro/Con, work/cost estimate?  TIA
    I ended up having this done at my local Discount Tire. They have been great to work with on either one of my campers. Bought the attachment at Fleet Farm, and they actually added it to my hitch and moved the tire. Due to my electric brakes on curbside, I had it added to street side with enough room for my various drains.  
    Discount Tire did it for free!  I gave the guy a twenty to buy lunch or a twelve pack. He said he would rather work outside than be at the front counter anyway.   Was done in 45 minutes once I called ahead.

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    What town was this??? :)
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    What town was this??? :)
    Discount Tire in in Eden Prairie MN.