Options

Help Selecting a Traveling WiFi

TBullardTBullard Member Posts: 20
edited October 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
All, I need some advice.  We want to stream live sports and video conference while camping.  I can try to use my AT&T Hotspot, but wondering if any of you have experience with WiFi Booster/Extender to take advantage of free signals, Mobile Router/Modem Services.  Does anyone recommend a set up to achieve what we are trying to accomplish?  Neither our Hotspot or paid-for-Wifi in the Keys were able to support video conferencing.
Range Rover Sport HSE TV - Charlotte, NC

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I purchased the Winegard Connect 2.0 when it just came out a few years ago.  About $350 for the unit, plus $40 activation fee and then an additional $20 per month for my cell carrier.  A complete waste of money in my opinion (based on using it compared to just my cell phone as a hotspot).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    I highly recommend rvmobileInternet.com for info.  They recommended the Verizon Jetpack and MIMOS antenna that I am using in the wilds of South Dakota.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    Nomad Internet is plugged by a popular Youtuber. It's pricey but seems like one of the better options out there.

SpaceX's Starlink satellite internet is in beta testing and currently only available in northern regions as of last time I checked. However it looks like a very promising option in the not so distant future. I don't feel it's ready for prime time yet and hope prices drop, but it is something I am keeping a close eye on.  My guess is this will be the leader in RV internet eventually if the mobile carriers don't step up their game. I can actually see a time when RV's come equipped with Startlink service much like cars come equipped with satellite radio.
    2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
  • Options
    gtstoysgtstoys Member Posts: 8
    I am currently using Verizon's MiFi plus weboost's Drive Reach RV extender.  It seems to work great up and down the West Coast including Arizona and Nevada.  I have not experienced signal dropping when I teleconference with people all throughout the U.S.  It actually boosts signals!
    2008 T@B Thor Dutchman B)  TV - 2004 Toyota 4Runner V6 Sport Edition