Options

Nautilus P3 compartment not necessarily watertight

Watch out for allowing water to accumulate in the base of the Nautilus compartment. I accidentally left a slow drip on my city water connection and rather than going down the compartment’s drain hole, the water slipped through the Nautilus base somewhere and leaked onto the floor of the trailer at the rear. Under the bed, into the outside storage compartment. The Nautilus compartment sits on top of the floor, so leaks spread. I’m going to add caulk along the base of the compartment, and make darn sure from now on that my connections are drip-free.
2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX

Comments

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @Binghi
    Good to know. I haven't had that problem (yet) but will be careful to inspect that area for potential leaks.
    Are you certain you don't have a leak in one of the connections behind the Nautilus panel - visible by lifting the bed platform and exposing the Alde system area?
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 278
    No, I lifted the bed panel and checked the interior connections. They were all dry. Thank goodness. Good point. The Nautilus compartment caulk job along the base must have a leak. It would help if the compartment drain hole didn’t have that piece surrounding it. That hinders drainage from the compartment to the outside.
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 278
    It’s really on me. I had used a 6 inch “cheater” extension to hook my fresh water hose into the trailer. Just to make it easier to screw onto the Nautilis connection. Turns out the threads on the male end of that piece weren’t the highest quality; like a cheap garden hose. Hence the drip drip. When I use my fresh water hose directly, it tightens up good and leak-free.
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,218
    I’ve noticed that water will leak down around the low point drains as well and serve as a drainage point. At first I thought this was going to be an issue but it looks like they’ve sleeved those drains in tubing so that water can’t find its way to the subfloor…hopefully. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    This post inspired me to go look carefully at the Nautilus compartment in my 400...and my take away was why isn't the compartment one molded piece? Seems a great oversight to have caulked seams that can leak into the passenger compartment. We all know a caulked seam is a matter of when, not if, it will leak.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 273
    Mine did the same thing.  The hot and cold water drain lines penetrate the back of the panel too close to the bottom.  I packed white silicon caulk around the bottom of the pipes and it did the trick.
  • Options
    SnoblettSnoblett Member Posts: 99
    Hi all-  yes, the Nautilus compartment definitely has leak spots where water can drain into the cabin of the camper.  I have caulked everywhere I can and have eliminated the problem.

Problem Statement:  water can leak into the cabin of the camper via the nautilus compartment in at least two places, (1) the low point drains, and (2) the gap between the nautilus housing and the camper outer wall.

This problem occurs whenever water collects in the pan of the nautilus compartment and can be replicated by simply pouring a cup of water at either of the locations listed in the problem statement.

Solution: Caulk everything surrounding the low point drains.  Caulk the gap between the housing and camper exterior. Let sit for 24
    hours before water testing.

• Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 460
    My 2021 320S (built in 5/2020) leaks very badly. I understand why the new 2022's have the low point drain valves outside the Nautilus box! I have not successfully sealed these areas yet. Fortunately I know the problem and do not let water collect in the box.

Because of other minor leaks in the water pipes I have found, I check everything during each trip with the system pressurized with water. The plastic Pex joints should be brass! In addition to the Nautilus leak I've found 3 other area with (very) minor leaks at the couplings.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    While I need to confirm I’m pretty sure those openings around the low point drains are meant to be open to allow any water to drain through them. If I remember correctly you can see those sleeves on the drains go all of the way through to the underside of the trailer floor. Again, I’ll need to visually confirm this.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Just went outside and took a peak and yes, those sleeves run through the entire floor. I’ve noticed water leaking around those before and that’s what prompted me to find out that they were sleeves. 

In this pic you can see the low point drain spouts inside the sleeves from underneath: 

2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    The Nautilus bottom part should also drain out the hose opening in the bottom.
    I would not seal around the low point drains where they go through the bottom part either, let the water out, so it does not leak into the TaB.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.