Options

Rear handle interior/exterior caulking questions

Hello! I'm tackling the caulking on my 2014 T@B Max (320 S) this weekend, as per https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9923/caulking-guide/p1. tagging @ScottG and @ChanW, also owners of older T@B Max's. 

I took the casing off around the rear handles to clean up some very messy caulk and have these questions:
NOTE: I found this related post that indicates that caulking underneath the rear casings is preferred to caulking on top of the rear casings: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/124720#Comment_124720

1. Is caulking required around the rear handle casing? The equivalent front handles have no caulking, so that's why I'm asking. This photo has the screws removed because I'm in the process of cleaning off the old, messy (non-factory) exterior caulk located where the green arrows indicate.

2. With the exterior casing removed, I can see gaps in some interior caulking, is it fair to assume I should remove and replace this caulking? Should I use 3M 4200 or 5200?

3. Should I also remove the rear yellow panel between the 2 handles and inspect/remove/replace the caulking points there as well? or are the main areas of concern around the outer handles?
2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2021
    Oh dear, you're not going to let me ignore my duties to my Tab, eh?  :s

I haven't peeked under there, but I probably should. 

I would refrain from trying to seal the plastic, other than possibly across the top edge, leaving the bottom edge open to drain any water that does get under there.

I'd probably make sure that the underneath body is well sealed, especially on the front, due to the 60mph driving rain potential. Maybe clean out the worst of the old stuff, so the new has something to stick to.

I think the 3M 4200 and 5200 is amazing, but someone suggested that you'll never get it off if you ever want to.

That's all IMHO, and I have no experience with this particular caulking application!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    Same here. I wouldn't be inclined to mess around in that area unless I had a leak or other problem (which so far I have not). The installers did seem a little heavy-handed with the caulking gun in those days--not necessarily a bad thing!
    2015 T@B S