Options

Humming sound with everything turned off

Yesterday, for the first time, I hooked up the electrical line on my new T@b for my first "driveway camping" experience. Once hooked up everything seemed to work fine (although I did not leave it on long enough to get the refrigerator cold) but did take a short nap. My question is: before I unhooked the electric, I turned everything off, i.e., the a/c, all the lights, and did not have the water pump on or the exhaust fan or anything else that I can think of, but I still heard something working. After unhooking the line the sound went away. What would it be that was working and making the slight humming sound, or was it just my imagination?
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It was the cooling fan in your converter, the brown box that has your fuses and circuit breakers in it. It will run until he battery is charged. Perfectly normal. Also, there is a small exhaust fan that runs periodically in the fridge that you might hear, but it is louder than the converter fan.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    Thanks much for this info. Maybe I should have left the shore power on for a longer period. I knew that the battery charges when the TV is operating and hooked to the T@b, but I did not realize that shore power charges the battery as well. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Vito - a lot of these small noises will fade into the background once you get used to them. Another one you will hear once you start using the Alde for heat is a gurgling sound from the glycol reservoir.
  • Options
    I noticed that about the fan for the a/c, but it was turned off when I heard the noise. BTW, why is there a separate fan switch for the a/c? I've never before seen an a/c of any kind where the fan was controlled by an off-appliance separate switch? What happens if you run the a/c but forget to turn the fan on? 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
     That's just an auxiliary fan to help with circulation in the air-conditioning compartment. Most air-conditioners aren't contained in a small box like that.
  • Options
    Interesting. I guess I should always turn the a/c fan on whenever running the a/c. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Yes, the AC needs the air circulation to operate properly.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    vito - Be happy you have that extra switch for the A/C.  Older models don't have it and the A/C does not perform adequately.  :)
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    shorthillssummitshorthillssummit Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2015
    I was told by dealer that the ac fan switch was for sending air across the coils when outside air is pretty hot. I'm glad to hear my model has extra switch. I have no idea however, if not having it on had anything to do with why my ac leaked..it's done it only once so far and will have it checked while still under warranty.

• Options
    shorthillssummit - "leaked" as in leaked water/condensation?
    If so, that doesn't have anything to do with the AC switch - according to other posts, that happens when either the T@B isn't level so the drain pan fills and overflows or the drain pan fills because the drain hole is plugged. In one case, a big bug died and settled in the drain whole.
    The AC switch is just for better airflow around the AC unit.
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    My T@b has to be level side to side, or slightly low on driver's side, and level to slightly low fore-and-aft, to ensure the AC condensation makes it to the drain hole before overflowing the catch-pan.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    LuBeeLuBee Member Posts: 7
     We experienced a lot of condensation water leaking, we think the t@b wasn't level. @WSWildflowers  what did you mean by slightly low for-and-aft?  We are trying to prevent this from happening again. Thanks!
  • Options
    LuBee - The AC drain is in the front right corner below the AC unit on my T@B so just slightly low in front and right. Not much or it might overflow the lip on the drip pan.