Options

400 Boondock Pricing and Lead Time

My wife and I finally decided to order a Tab 400 Boondock. We were told it will be a 2022 model at this point. We live in Dayton and were planning to order from Wahlberg/Haydocy in Columbus. I’ve heard nothing but good things about this dealership. They are requiring a fully refundable $2K deposit. We were told that if we REALLY want one, they could get one by November. If we are willing to wait, it would likely be January/February. We were told that there is an across the board 4.00% increase on all Nucamp products on January 1st but if you make your deposit before then, you’ll be safe. We were also a little shocked by the price. We were told the sticker was $48,800 for the Boondock, with standard fridge and microwave. I’ve never seen an MSRP that high. I was then told that they are offering the same discount to everyone. Not a penny less. Sale price would be $42,800 plus tax/fees. I totally understand that the market is crazy right now. But I can remember two years ago a 400 Boondock going for $32,000. Have prices gone up that much, or is it simply the worst time ever to buy a trailer. I don’t want to wait years hoping the prices will come down and lose valuable camping time. Thoughts? And recent buyers willing to share price paid? Thanks! Andy 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    I suggest that you shop around.  Prices are currently inflated.  If you live a couple hours from the factory for mods/warranty work, and you can travel to pick up a new TaB, you may likely get a better price.  Shop around before you commit.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,184
    MSRP seems to be pretty arbitrary. In December I think MSRP was maybe $42k and we paid $33k. If people are willing to pay MSRP (I hope not) then they’ll continue to increase pricing. At a certain point people will probably stop buying them and they’ll have to lower prices. But with cheap credit and a strong economy I don’t see that happening anytime soon. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    McMullapMcMullap Member Posts: 24
    I went ahead and reached out to four other dealers in the Midwest area to get prices. They each listed the MSRP as $48-$49K so I guess that’s what it is these days. Looking back, I should have bought that darn camper ~3 years ago. Thanks!
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    It may be worth your while to see what comes up used. Folks change plans all the time and need to sell their trailers. We got a 2019 400 that was sold by Haydocy to the first owner in late 2018 and used 6 times in one season for what might be considered an unbelievable price now. Trailer has had essentially no significant issues this last year. So be patient and you may be rewarded. My opinion is that current pricing across the board is too high to sustain.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I know Haydocy/Wahlberg is considered one of the best so I wasn’t overly worried about price shopping. Since they are closest to the manufacturer, shipping prices would be the lowest in the country. And even if I pay a little more, they have great service. However, for anyone interested, I reached out to other dealers in the area (within a few hundred miles) and dealers are giving significant discounts. While Haydocy/Wahlberg was priced at $42,800 with a $2K deposit, others are priced between $35-$36K while requiring only a $1,000 deposit. I’m definitely willing to drive an extra hour and a half each way to save almost $8,000. Thanks again. Cheers. Andy
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    As you are shopping around, please remember to ask one question about service. If you bought from another dealer, can you take your new T@B to a dealer you didn’t buy from? There are dealers who service only what they sell. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna- very good point. I’ve heard some dealers with only service units they’ve sold. I also have heard that dealers with serve anyone but give preferential treatment to their customers. I’m 90 minutes from Columbus. An hour longer and I’m at the plant. And roughly 3 hours from the dealerships selling for $8K less. I just have a hard time justifying that cost. I’ll drive a little farther if needed. But maybe I’m a moron. Ha. But very good point. 
  • Options
    Just a historical comparison.  We bought a 2018 std 400 in July 2018.  the list was around 33K, we paid about 25-26.  and this was before 400s became well known and desirable.  If you can find a second production 2018  with the 2 6v batteries, you have a good chance of a good unit with no unresolved issues.  our 2018 has never had a real problem.  It will probably cost you 25-26K.
    2018 T@B400 & 2018 F-150
  • Options
    ewmjrewmjr Member Posts: 8
    Who is the dealer selling for 8k less? 
    I’m in Cincinnati and I’d be interested in a better deal…
    T@B hopeful - Cincinnati
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,184
    Ignore any posted prices on dealer websites. Just email as many dealers as you are willing to travel to. Reach out to them with what you’re after and see who gives you the best price. Just keep weeding them out until you find the lowest price…which now might not be that low  :|
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    ermjy - Pete’s RV in Indiana. Good luck. They had some coming in over the next few months. 
  • Options
    jules2gojules2go Member Posts: 164
    It seems to me that all of these inflated prices are price gouging. I'm also interested in a 400. I will probably try and find a used one, but even the used ones are priced high and I feel that is also price gouging. If I sell my 320, I don't want jack up the price just because I can. It doesn't seem like the "right" thing to do. 
    2020 Tab 320S BE "Moonbeam"
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Options
    USSBirdUSSBird Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2022
    jules2go said:
    It seems to me that all of these inflated prices are price gouging. I'm also interested in a 400. I will probably try and find a used one, but even the used ones are priced high and I feel that is also price gouging. If I sell my 320, I don't want jack up the price just because I can. It doesn't seem like the "right" thing to do. 
    Between Covid, the RV sales spike, supply chain woe's, labor shortages and inflation, it's just a bad time to be buying almost anything.  If you can put it off a year or so, you could be golden.   You should consider any premium on the sale of your 320 as an offset to the higher cost of the new 400.  Price gouging is taking advantage of temporary shortages usually in the wake of a natural disaster.

Post edited due to political content.  Administrator

• Prohibited Content:  Comments, discussions, or images pertaining to politics, religion, race, ethnicity, sex, or sexual preferences are prohibited and will be removed.
    2021 T@B 400 BD / 2020 Ram 1500, Northwest Arkansas
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited January 2022
    If you are anywhere near Juniata Valley RV in Miffllintown, PA, their prices are really really good. I paid ($500 deposit 11/3/21) $34390 for my non-boondock 400 and another forum member I referred got a BD model for just under $36k.  Ask for Rick and say you were referred by Robyn Eller. I don't get any kickback from them, I just love them and their prices have been unbeatable now on three T@bs! 2015, 2019, 2022. 

Note: My price did not include the 4% increase.  I haven't received the trailer yet, but its been finished for a couple weeks. There is an issue with transport availability.