Options

Towing capacity

jnommy14jnommy14 Member Posts: 1
My tow vehicle is a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk and is rated for 2,000 lbs towing. I understand the dry weight of the new t@b is around 1670 lbs, so I'd be pushing the limits here (as I understand tow capacity includes passengers, gas, etc.).  A new tow vehicle is out of the question, so either I find a way to make it work by somehow reducing the overall weight of the t@b, or I just pass on purchasing the t@b.  Any input?  Would there be a way to reduce the weight of the t@b to make it work with my current tow vehicle?  Are any of the older dutchman models lighter?  (I am not interested in the smaller t@g as that is just too small for my liking).  I would *love* to purchase a t@b but if I can't make it work with my current tow vehicle then unfortunately I need to let go of the dream of t@b ownership. Any ideas?  Thanks in advance for any input on this issue.  

Comments

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    There are several people on this forum that tow T@Bs with Jeep Wranglers, but the Renegade, I myself would not. I would go with something in the 1000-1200lb. range. Sorry. Enjoy your Renegade, I've read nice things about them.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There are many discussions here about tow vehicles. Do a search (in the upper right corner of this page) on "tow vehicle". 

Check out out the rest of the Little Guy brand so you won't have to worry about weight.  The Silver Shadow is a tremendous camper with lots of storage, with the same cabinetry as the T@B. The dry weight is in the neighborhood of 1200 lbs. I figured I had about 1500 lbs in mine. The T@G is a taller teardrop with a European flair, and it has many of the physical features of the T@B. It weighs around 1000 lbs. There's the 5-wide and the 6-wide to consider, and for those who don't need a galley, there is the 700 lb MyPod. 

Good luck in your search for a camper within your towing range. Then...one day your dream of owning a T@B will come true!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    There are several people on this forum that tow T@Bs with Jeep Wranglers, but the Renegade, I myself would not. I would go with something in the 1000-1200lb. range. Sorry. Enjoy your Renegade, I've read nice things about them.

Ditto. Huge disappointment. I think those Renegades are nice looking vehicles and have decent off-road capability.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    tar81tar81 Member Posts: 4
    I have a Subaru legacy that towed my t@g home. I am looking for another vehicle, like a 2017 renegade,  does anyone know if the renegade is on a ruck chassis?? my t@g weights 1100 lb 5 wide or what is the better vehicle to have?
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    Take another look at a t@g before ruling it out; you may find you like it. Perhaps research the option to rent one for a quick camping trip? Not sure where you are located but the dealership I bought my t@b, have a few t@gs you can rent. I don't believe there is a way to reduce the weight of a t@b & you don't want to ruin your Renegade with an 'avoidable' problem, you know? Personally, I'm not a fan of towing anything in weight that reaches right up to my towing vehicles capacity. Our tv is rated for a max of 5000lbs; husband won't tow anything over 3000lbs.
    Happy trails!
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    Sorry to say, new tow vehicle or say goodbye to the T@b

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    DarlinDarlin Member Posts: 1
    Tv 2013 f150 3.7 six  has any one experienced pulling a 2008 T@B u shape interior
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    If your tow capacity is 2000 lbs I do not see why you would be worried about it. Tow capacity is the weight of the trailer, passengers in the vehicle have nothing to do with it. The HP/Torque of the engine will tell you how well the vehicle will tow. If the engine is a typical small 4cyl with 160 HP and about the same torque, it is not going to handle hills very well and fuel mileage will suffer but it will tow a T@B on short trips without a problem. Get all the MFR recommended towing equipment so you don't void your warranty. The appeal of the T@B is that you can tow it with a small vehicle and lots of people do. Just to see how it would handle it I towed our T@B for 15 miles or so at 50 mph with my 2014 Ford Focus. It worked fine. I would never take it on a trip but I have a hitch for towing our trash trailer and Seadoo so I made an electrical adapter and gave it a whirl. They are a million posts on this forum where people argue about what you should tow with. If you have a hitch on your vehicle see if the T@B dealer will let you take a T@B for a short tow. It won't take very long to decide if you want to tow a T@B or not.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    tar81 said:
    I have a Subaru legacy that towed my t@g home. I am looking for another vehicle, like a 2017 renegade,  does anyone know if the renegade is on a ruck chassis?? my t@g weights 1100 lb 5 wide or what is the better vehicle to have?
    Jeep Renegades are unibody vehicles, like all small SUV's.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    KBaggins1 said:
    If your tow capacity is 2000 lbs I do not see why you would be worried about it. Tow capacity is the weight of the trailer, passengers in the vehicle have nothing to do with it. 
    The real number you need to look at is Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). Take that number, fill your tow vehicle with people, gas, cargo, then weigh your vehicle (GVWR) Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. Then subtract that number from GCWR. That is what you have left over for towing. I bet it is way less than 2000 lbs.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Looked up the specs for a Renegade and they only list what it will tow. They do state that you need the 2.5 L engine to tow anything (1.4L not recommended for towing) but the specs on the Jeep site do not list the GCWR. It should be in the owners manual somewhere.But it is probably a bit inflated or they would not be telling people they can tow 2000 lbs. For instance our 2009 Honda Pilot has a GCWR rating of almost 10000 lbs. From experience if we ever put that big a trailer and loaded the truck up to that weight it would be lucky to do 30 mph going up a small hill. But that is what it is rated to do.
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    edited October 2017
    Is this something new about the renegade towing capacity?  I have looked at them when they came out, tought that they would be a nice used vehicule for me a few years from now, but at that time, towing capacity was none existant.

Like you could not tow anything with them.  That could have change.

i realy like the look of them. It would be a perfect fit for my DD parked beside my LJ wrangler at home.  But I need to know it can tow at least 2000 lbs.  Do they come in manual AWD or just the cvt AWD.  I woukd definetly not tow heavy with a CVT.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC