Options

Starting a family (hopefully), interested in the 320...

Hello All!

I've been lurking here awhile and wanted to get your thoughts...

I have a 2021 Outback XT (3500lb towing), and am looking for a new travel trailer for my wife and I (I didn't know I wanted a trailer until spending some time with my parents in their 26' Passport!).  There isn't a lot in that weight range that meets our needs (indoor toilet mostly), but I've become smitten by the 320.  I'm going to take a look at one on Friday, but the one thing that gives me pause is our hopefully growing family.  Right now it is just the 2 of us, but if we add 1 little one I'm worried we'll outgrow the 320.  The 400 won't work due to weight, but I've seen folks use side tents that gives me hope that a 320 could work.  Is there anyone else who makes the 320 work with a young family?  Thanks for your insight!

Best,
Joe

Comments

• Options
    Alt_TabAlt_Tab Member Posts: 12
    Congratulations on your decision to start a family in the near term.

We have a 320 but it is only my wife and I.

Personally I think you would find it a bit on the small side but it may be doable for a short while. I am aware of couples who shares their beds with newborns after birth. A tent could work if one of the adults chooses to sleep outside but it kind of defeats the purpose of buying an RV to some degree.

Then there is the kid *stuff* required which adds considerably to the gear requirement.

Although the Outback *could* tow the 320 I don't think it would be ideal - especially if in the mountains.
    If just on the flats it would likely be fine.

Personally we don't like the layout of the 400 although it is rumored that design changes might be in the future.

All the best!
  • Options
    MikeDawn265MikeDawn265 Member Posts: 29
    FYI...I just wanted to comment on the side tent on a 320.  I have a Pahaque side tent for my 2020 320 S.  It does give a lot more room, however, during the hotter months, it get a bit warm inside the tent. I think the Walker Side tent may have  more airflow.
    Wisconsinites 2020 T@B 320 S - 2021 Dodge Durango GT Plus TV
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    It’s tight with 2, three will be challenging. If and when you get to see one, spend some time in it, simulate various task. If you like Tetris you’ll feel at home 🙂
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I know you’re set on the 320 but we’re a family of three (5 year old boy) and the 400 is the perfect size for us. 5 years from now maybe not. 

The side tent is a good way to add some additional space but also consider how you camp. If you’re a weekend warrior and will only be at a spot for a couple of nights, setting up a side tent takes time and effort. One of the main reasons we bought a camper was to avoid all of the set up time but it’s all an individual preference. 

With a newborn I’m sure you could make the 320 work but once they’re mobile that could change things. But I also get becoming smitten with a particular model. Just need to temper it with usability and long term goals.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    We were in your position 5 years ago, mom, dad and child, and a (small) dog. The 320 is perfect for us and our daughter is now 14. Our tab is to camp from, not in. We have the awning which provides some outside seating area. We’ve added a friend for my daughter and then the kids sleep in a tent.  If we had more kids, we’d probably add the room/tent. We like the idea of something larger, but this fits in our driveway, easy to tow, stow and when the teenager finally bails on camping it will be 2 plus a dog, so all good. 

• Options
    SkemoJoeSkemoJoe Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the kind words and inspiration, the 400 would be the play if I could tow it, but I can't justify buying a new TV just yet.  I'm seeing a 320 tomorrow to get a sense, and I'm hoping to rent one later next month to get a real feel for it.  I'll keep you all posted!
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @SkemoJoe, we have a 2017 t@b (equivalent) 320. We did 45,000 miles over 4 years with the husband, me and 2 very growing boys. They were 9 and 10 when we took delivery of our trailer. The first travel outing was 6 weeks, 10,000 miles and 21 states. The 3 males (husband and boys) slept on the bed wheel to wheel and I sat/slept in the corner of the bed near the door. We did many quick weekends and each year at least an entire month of continuous travel. We carried 2 folding bikes in our suv tow vehicle, along with chairs, carpet, weber bbq and other equipment to make the trip memorable, tolerable and fun. We had only an xl visor for a bit of sun and rain protection. All clothing was packed in plastic tubs for convenience, in the t@b for travel and either outside or in the tow vehicle while we were in the t@b. We had no side tent or extra tent, although if they were still with us we would have to have a version of either. It is easily doable. We camped at rv parks most of the time because the boys needed the pools, trails and amenities. Our last month long trip was with only one of them, the other was already in athletic competition, but the change allowed us to explore the less beaten path, with boondocking in out of the way places.

In retrospect, we'd do it all again. I have said many times our t@b was the best purchase decision we ever made, and I still feel the same. If it were possible, we'd travel full time in it. Luv, luv, luv our t@b! -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    Then there is this option… https://youtu.be/JlA2zJB-bhI  it was in one of the other threads a few years ago, titled “Anyone sleep more than 2 in their tab?” click here
  • Options
    Renting a 320 clamshell early next month to head up to Burlington VT.  Figured the only way I’ll know for sure is to “live” in it for awhile. Looking forward to the adventure and finding out if it is right for us 👍🏼
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    SkemoJoe said:
    Renting a 320 clamshell early next month to head up to Burlington VT.  Figured the only way I’ll know for sure is to “live” in it for awhile. Looking forward to the adventure and finding out if it is right for us 👍🏼
    I have a clamshell and I love it but I think that the inside kitchen might be better for a family with a baby/toddler because the bed is bigger (as long as you’re comfortable with co-sleeping). Alternatively, you could hunt down an older clamshell with the front bench instead of the chest of drawers and build a crib into that area. Have a great trip! 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Hi SkemoJoe, we are retirees with a 400, so our experience is not as relevant as some.
    We bought the Walker tent for the 400, and love using it, but it is time consuming to install. take s us about 1.5 hours up, and an hour to take down,  We knew a 400 owner who used this setup to take a bunch of grandchildren.
    We only put the Walker up when we are staying 3 nights - just too much work for the benefit otherwise.
    I think you will be fine in a 320 with a small child for several years.  And you know you can resell in a few years and get an adequate return.  Good luck on all fronts!
    2018 T@B400 & 2018 F-150
  • Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    I have a 320 S and sleep with my two kids, 11 & 14. It’s cozy, but doable. If you sleep back to front, your wee one could sleep comfortably in the short section in front of the TV/bathroom for many years. I would recommend you also get a separate Clam shelter or screen room. This would allow for a safe, roomier area for the baby to play and toddle when you need a moment to get something done around the campsite or just want to relax!
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    We spent a wonderful week (8 nights total) in Burlington, VT, we had a lovely time with the 320 CS-S.  Nestled among the big rigs, we still had plenty of room and the entire experience was easier than I thought it would be (considering we'd never rented/camped in an RV before).  So cute, and the craftsmanship is apparent everywhere.  Though we love the clamshell, we've decided to go with a 320 S because I think the bigger bed will be more comfortable for the wife and I and a little one.  I'm sure it will be tight, but we're looking forward to the adventure!  Thanks for all the kind words and your own experiences, they were very helpful!
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    I suggest you look at a CS-S( outside galley) model.  Instead of the galley in front, inside you’ll find a bench in most models. Some trailers do have optional storage there.   This area could be set up for a youngster or infant by adding a crib grate on the side.  This is the only version I see working safely without having an infant sleep with you in same bed.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.