Options

Need help installing red molding on top of keder rail

I am trying to install the molding back onto the front of the camper and am unclear on how it stays on. The piece blew off on our trip through Oklahoma this year leaving the other sections intact. 
The red molding has small oval holes that look like screw holes. Do I take the screws out of the keder rail, slide the plastic piece in place and rescrew the keder rail? Not all the holes in the red plastic line up with the rail screws. It doesn’t look like there was enough space for it to have gone behind it originally as the keder rail lays pretty close against the wall. But those screw holes seem to be there for a reason. 
Seems like this should be straight forward installation but I’m confused. 
 Planning to Shoe Goo it in place this time. 
Thanks for any help!
mer

2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.

Comments

• Options
    JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    I had to replace mine and started at the other end of the trailer. From the back and using your fingers, follow the trim underneath the trailer where you should find one screw holding the trim in place. Remove that screw and then gently pull the trim out of the rail. Then guide the new trim into the same rail and gently squeeze it into place all along the rail. Be sure to leave enough on the end to screw it into place (just like the old piece you removed). When I got to the front I simply cut the trim and pushed it into the handle and and sealed it with marine caulk. Good luck!

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited September 2021
    @xdr, The keder rail on our 2019 is screwed through the trim.

I backed out enough of the screws in the keder rail to get the trim off. The keder rail had enough elasticity to gently move it out of the way to remove and then reinstall the trim.

Hope this helps...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    Thanks for the info and pics. 
    So the keder rail screws do hold it in place? When I back out the screws will they tighten enough when rescrewed in? 
    Finally—-Does the Shoe Goo go under the black rubber or under the red plastic under the rail? 

This is the second piece we lost. We lost the identical piece from the driver’s side going east on I-40 through OK and we lost this piece going west on I-40 through OK. Both times we had a strong wind from the south. It doesn’t make sense that we would lose a piece that is screwed into the rail. Any idea why it would come off in the first place? 
    Is it just the curse of Oklahoma??🤔

mer
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Could you put a washer on the screws? Is it possible the holes have enlarged themselves just enough to wiggle out of the elongated holes?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited September 2021
    @xdr,

Your first picture shows slots on the trim (as you mentioned). Mine doesn't have those. I believe this is an improvement to try and stem the cracking issue some folks have with the ABS trim. Vinyl house siding has those same slots to allow for movement. During installation I'd drill a pilot hole in the center of the slots where a screw will go. When you drive the screw, snug it up by hand and then back off just a bit. This will allow the trim to expand and contract with weather conditions without binding, making it less prone to crack.

My trim was attached at the factory with one set of screws. Then a second set of screws holds the keder rail in place. If you look at my first picture you can see the vacant keder rail screw hole next to an installed trim screw. The trim screw is a bit obscured because I marked them with a black sharpie (so I could differentiate from the keder rail screw holes during reassembly). If your keder holes are wallowed out, see if you can move the keder enough up or down that you can make fresh holes (Edit: Or even just move the screw locations and inch or so along the track). If so, I would fill the old holes and make new ones.

Remember, pilot holes are your friend... and you got this!

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    I appreciate all the info and encouragement! I’ll send pics when I get it on. 
    mer