Options

Those in Northern climes..when do you winterize?

Hi all,
This will be my first year for winterizing our Tab and i wonder when most owners, in northern climates, do this?..we have one more trip planned mid October, and where we are going its not uncommon for colder temps and sometimes snow.

Thanks!
Brent
2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
Toronto, Canada

Comments

• Options
    XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 73
    edited September 2021
    We usually do our winterizing in mid to late October.  Depends on the weather but she is generally winterized and wrapped up by Halloween.  We live in south eastern BC.
  • Options
    SusanDSusanD Member Posts: 87
    Good question. Last year it snowed by mid October so in a panic I winterized.  Then I went to the Island for a little getaway and was really wishing I had some hot, fresh water.  I'm thinking that it should be a hard, extended frost but I'm not sure. 
    2021 Tab320S Boondock, 2019 Subaru Outback 2.5
  • Options
    Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    I was pondering this the other day. Our last trip is going to be Columbus Day weekend because that is the last weekend our favorite local campgrounds are open before they close for the season. I plan on winterizing that week which should be plenty early and that will probably be an annual routine. But I was wondering what would happen if we did get unseasonably cold weather before I could winterize? My father in-law said there's nothing to worry about unless we get freezing temps for at least a day or more but I'm not so sure about that. Would turning on the Alde keep things from freezing if we get nighttime freezing temps and is it even necessary as my father in-law believes?
    2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Lots of different threads with good hints.  Some owners use the "blowout method" of winterizing, and can extend the "end of the season" by being able to winterize as conditions warrant, and then "de-winterize" when they can.  In some parts of the west, it can be freezing one day and perfect the next.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    As our first trip is just happening... we'll be winterizing when we return from out west...worst case we can winterize on the road with the nautilus...then simply use the cassette by adding water to flush with just a touch of RV antifreeze if needed.
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Da_Birds - although the Alde will keep the plumbing lines from freezing and keeping the bathroom door open will keep that plumbing warm, the fresh tank outlet and drain are vulnerable to freezing, as well as the gray and black tank valves.  Because it takes a long time for a tank of water to freeze, the general rule of thumb is winterize if you expect freezing temperatures for at least 6-8 hours.  Temps that dip to freezing overnight and then quickly warm above freezing are not usually a problem.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    @Sharon_is_SAM Thank you for clarifying! I shouldn't have to worry about freezing temps of more than 6-8 hrs before I would be able to winterize.
    2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
  • Options
    Remember: 6-8 hours at 31 degrees is ok.  6-8 hours at 28 degrees might not be.  6-8 hours at 24 degrees is...not.    
    In one of those threads in that search above there was a comment about "if an ice cube will freeze in an ice cube tray"  or if water in a water bottle will freeze...winterize.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2021
    If colder weather threatens (frost warnings, maybe mid-October?), I usually will drain the black and gray tanks, and throw a bit of antifreeze in there, with the attendant routine of 'exercise the gate-valve', to protect the gate-valves. 

Then I won't worry about the interior plumbing until real cold comes around. I figure I can always warm it up inside if need be.

(Western NY)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    edited September 2021
    Mine's stored in an unheated garage so it really doesn't matter if it dips below freezing outside a couple of times but usually I'll drain it and winterize by the end of October if there's a bad extended freeze forecast.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 988
    I’ve been snowed on in June where I live! But seriously I plan on winterizing fully in the next month or so. I definitely watch the overnight lows to see if there will be extended periods of below freezing. Also because of where I live I always drain the tanks, hot water heater, water lines and low point drains after every trip. This time of year I also add a little antifreeze to the gray tank to help protect the waste gate valve. I usually keep the alde heat at 55 running on the 2kw electric.  I’m also going to put a thinsulate water spigot sock on the waste gate. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    pakpak Member Posts: 114
    Generally after our last trip, but no later than first week in Nov. NE Wa. Where the Columbia crosses the border.
  • Options
    @bergger for us warm weather flatlanders, can you explain more about the "faucet socks"?  I just looked at them on Amazon.  What size would you use for a waste valve?  And: how much protection can they provide?
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 988
    The faucet socks may give just a little extra protection from a brief cold snap, especially if windy. But they certainly won’t keep the waste gate valve from freezing in the winter. And I actually ended up winterizimg today. Starting Monday we have 7 nights of 22-31 degrees! But hopefully we’ll get in another one or two local trips before the snow comes. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    @CanadianTabber, depending on weather, usually between October 15th to 31st. Always before November 1st. Even with the big lakes tempering local weather conditions, too much of a risk of a serious hard freeze (trailer plumbing damage) by then. Each year varies slightly so you are the best judge as to when you need to winterize. Good luck, and much success. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 131
    @CanadianTabber, depending on weather, usually between October 15th to 31st. Always before November 1st. Even with the big lakes tempering local weather conditions, too much of a risk of a serious hard freeze (trailer plumbing damage) by then. Each year varies slightly so you are the best judge as to when you need to winterize. Good luck, and much success. -Denise
    Thanks Dragon..i will winterize before our Thanksgiving trip to Alqonqin park🙂
    2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    edited September 2021
    Upstate NY - I winterize when they dump salt on the roads the first time, usually sometime in November unless there's a long extended freeze forecast earlier. It stays in the garage until Spring and the roads are clean again.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York