Options

Long Long Quarantine

We live in Anacortes WA and have a second home (to be near two families with grandchildren) way out on Long Island, NY, 3030 Google miles away. We’re still avoiding airports, and have little confidence motels can find workers to sterilize the rooms they keep advertising about.

Our solution was to make the trip using a Tab as our traveling cocoon, and push across in 10@300-mile days.  When we hatched the scheme in July and went shopping, new 400s we’re rare, with prices crowding $50K.  We were lucky to find a lightly used 2018 that had been stored inside.

To prepare for the trip I replaced the four-year-old original tires, even though they showed no wear, with Goodyear Endurance rubber, including the spare, and mounted a Curt anti sway unit.  I also had my local Schwab store pack the bearings and adjust the brakes.

After adjustment, I could barely feel any drag when squeezing the brake controller, So the tech redid the adjustment, setting it per spec all over again — and getting the same weak response. He then hooked it up to his own truck and was able to easily lock the brakes, indicating a truck/controller issue on my end.

My TV is a 2021 Ram 1500 with factory tow package. The trailer brake setup is quite precise, allowing you to select light trailer with electric brakes, heavy trailer with electric brakes (over 10,000 lbs), electric over hydraulic, etc.  As the manual says “use the setting that works” I tried “heavy trailer with electric brakes” and it worked perfectly.  

Schwab was quick, friendly, expert, and thinking — and stuck to their original quote.

I  also removed the front pod, fitted it with a 1/4” plywood floor, and screwed it back to the frame.  And cut a 3/4” piece to fit in the frame rectangle intended for a second propane bottle.  A 5 gallon utility bucket fits nicely there and a few screws through the bottom into the plywood holds it in place but also allows it to be lifted out.  The area is now secure for chocks, hitch wheel, hoses and other light gear.

As we have the small fridge (but roomy locker) I bought a dual compartment Dometic 75L AC/DC refrigerator/freezer chest to ride in the TV and eliminate the need to fresh food stops enroute. It’s powered by a 100ah Battleborn lithium and a 25 watt Victron charger.  

Underway, it runs on the battery.  On shore power at night, both the fridge and the charger get 120 volts through an extension cord from the trailer curbside 120v socket. It worked very well, maintaining set points of 40 degrees and 9 degrees despite some 90+ ambients.

Regards cooking beyond the two-burner, we thought about a mini microwave that many use, but instead chose the smallest Ninja air fryer, Model AF101 $89.  Light, compact, kept it in a box in the TV.   Fast for sizzling streaks, chicken, frozen or thawed fries, low smoke, easy non-stick cleanup.

With all this prep, you’re probably wondering what the surprise disasters were.  Happily, none.  

The 400 trailed beautifully and all systems worked as intended.  We kept noting the honest workmanship, quality hardware and thoughtful storage nooks.  The Alde was fine for hot water and the Froli is really comfortable. The galley is tight, but works. The bathroom is roomier and more functional than the one on the 27 ft. Airstream we had previously.

The Tab also attracts plenty of lookers.  Someone would stop and chat at almost every stop. It’s just a happy design.

The Ram 1500 is terrific.  Truck of the year three years running and deserved.  No problems and didn’t even realize it was pulling a trailer. Quiet, great ride.  The factory tow package includes extra TPMS stems, which I installed in the Goodyears so they reported pressures and would alarm just like the truck tires.

Our route over nine days was I 90 from Seattle through Cour de Lane, Idaho, then Missoula, Bozeman and Billings, Montana; south into the northeast corner of Wyoming and across South Dakota.  The three days across those western states were hot and hazy, with frequent smell from the western fires.  Montana was completely brown but green gradually showed as we moved east through South Dakota.

Past Sioux Falls and into Wisconsin, the land was lush.  At Madison, Wisconsin, I 90/94 turned south, paralleling Lake Michigan, still 80 miles further east.  We said farewell to I 90 when it turned toward the Chicago traffic mess and continued south to pick up I 80, which rounds the bottom of the lake at Gary, Indiana.

We continued on I 80 across Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey to it’s termination at Fort Lee and the George Washington Bridge.  We crossed the bridge on 9/11, tearing up at the gigantic American flag hanging from one of the towers.

From there it was onto the NYC parkway system and out to the grandkids in East Hampton.  3030 total miles, 9 days, 12.5 mpg average, heading back west about November 1st, love the Tab, thanks for sticking with me!

Comments