Options

2008 Dutchman Tab with Cool Cat on a generator?

I'm wondering if anyone is running their Cool Cat on an inverter/generator. If so what size generator? I tested the amperage at startup with an in-rush meter and got 48 amps which don't seem possible. Running amps was about 9 amps. I want to run the Cool Cat on a generator but need to know what size. I believe the running watts would be a little over 1000 but I'm worried about the startup amperage. 

Comments

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    The start up amps on a Cool Cat are very high. Many have fixed that by installing a "soft start" on their CoolCat. I don't know too much about it. I always use shore power.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @tcassem
    The 2200 watt honda generators (or similar sized others) operate the current models of Coolcat in the 400, but with a softstart installed.
    Otherwise, any 3500 watt class of generator will work just fine - but at the expense of weighing 100lbs.
    I use a Champion Dual Fuel 2500 on Propane with the SoftStart RV installed, and it works perfectly - even at altitude.

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    tcassemtcassem Member Posts: 11
    Thanks. I was just looking into the Soft Start set up. Seems like the way to go with a smaller generator, although you could buy the larger generator for the price of a small generator and Soft Start.

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    tcassem said:
    Thanks. I was just looking into the Soft Start set up. Seems like the way to go with a smaller generator, although you could buy the larger generator for the price of a small generator and Soft Start.

Yes you could, but the larger generator is really pretty heavy and big for day to day ease of use, and will consume more fuel, but it is certainly an option - and is plug and play.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    What @ChrisFix said. Unless you really need those extra watts, I’d opt for a 2200-2300 generator and install a soft start. It’ll save you at least 50lb in cargo weight and take up less space. It’s a dead simple install as long as you have decent access to the Cool Cat. 

I was even able to run the AC at 8500 feet with a Westinghouse igen2500…never would need it at that elevation but it was a good test and shows how much less power is required for startup.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road