Options

new TAB 320 boondock owner. Will I need a hitch extender?

We are picking up our new used 2012 TAB 320 boondock soon. I am having a Curt hitch installed on my Honda Passport AWD. I have heard that the rack on the front of the boondock model sometimes hits the TV when backing/turning. How much clearance do I need from the back of the TV? 

Comments

• Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    A hitch extender will cut your towing capacity in half, leaving you with a 1750 lb. tow capacity. 

Jeannie
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    mona said:
    A hitch extender will cut your towing capacity in half, leaving you with a 1750 lb. tow capacity. 

Jeannie
    Not towing capacity, tongue weight capacity.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have not “jackknifed” enough to touch my front platform on my 2021 T@B 320 Boondock. I do use a long 14 1/2” ball mount in my F150’s receiver. I have email proof from e-trailer (the seller of this model) saying that this ball mount does not affect my towing capacity. 

The F150 has a longer tailgate and this 14 1/2” Ball mount allows me to lay the tailgate flat without disconnecting from the T@B. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 459
    edited September 2021
    Just the other day I was wondering how vehicle manufacturers determine the maximum tongue weight given that ball mounts have varying distance from the hitch. My hitch collection has between 8" and 14" horizontal distance between the hitch pin and the ball. For a lighter vehicle that makes a big difference. 

The "infamous" SAE J2807 states for the connection point (hitch ball):

Hitch Type (OE hitch mount)

Weight Carrying (Step Bumper) - Center of step bumper hitch ball hole

Weight Carrying - 267 mm (10.5 in) rear of receiver pin hole

Weight Distributing ≤5443 kg(12 000 lb) - 302 mm (11.88 in) rear of receiver pin hole

Weight Distributing >5443 kg(12 000 lb) - 403 mm (15.88 in) rear of receiver pin hole

For aftermarket hitches 

Weight Carrying - 127 mm (5 in) rear of bumper/fascia edge 

Weight Distributing ≤5443 kg(12 000 lb) - 178 mm (7 in) rear of bumper/fascia edge 

Weight Distributing >5443 kg(12 000 lb) - 279 mm (11 in) rear of bumper/fascia edge

• Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    @GatorEgg thank you for the correction. That was before my second cup of coffee. 😴

jeannie
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    MarciakibbsterMarciakibbster Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all! I'm thinking keeping it as short as possible without jackknifing is the way to go. I may have to change it up after carfully trying it out. 
  • Options
    DenverJaguarDenverJaguar Member Posts: 61
    I have a 9 inch tow bar, and my rear hatch easily clears the crank handle (Volvo XC90). I'd actually like it to be 2 inches shorter; the length is double what Volvo advises to use, so my max tongue weight dropped from 500 pounds to 250 pounds. 
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited September 2021
    I used a more or less standard hitch with a 4 inch rise to tow my 320S BD with my XC-90. It extended about 6 inches from the end of the receiver (which in turn was roughly on the same plane as the rear bumper) to the center of the ball. I did not have any clearance issues with it when backing & turning the T@B.
    I would think that at the least, you'd be able to tow and maneuver your camper with a "standard" length hitch. If you did need extra length when backing & turning, you could use a hitch extender at that point only. This was what I did with a boat that I towed with the Volvo; I needed extra length because the angle of the launch ramp was shallow. I would tow to the lake as normal, and then add the extender in the parking lot as I prepared the boat for launch.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,294
    edited September 2021
    mona said:
    @GatorEgg thank you for the correction. That was before my second cup of coffee. 😴
    You weren't too far off. Towing capacity for the load on your transmission and frame are not changed much by an extended hitch, but towing capacity should also reflect how the TV handles at the rated trailer weight. Since extending the hitch has a negative impact on handling it only makes sense that it should lower the amount you can safely tow.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler