Options

water damage

ktsamektsame Member Posts: 39
I have a 2018 320S and I noticed the beginning of some water damage in the storage compartment and the area under the bed behind the Alde. Could it be coming from the wheel wells? I know the taillights can be a problem but just wanted some input on how I should go about fixing this.  Is there a detailed step by step process for sealing the tail lights?  I want to get this sealed up before there is more damage.

Thanks in advance,
Kathy

Kathy 
2018 T@B 320S - Cl@ra

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @ktsame, this appears to be leakage from the taillights. I watched the nüCamp repair team work on mine. First remove the screws from the taillight trim. Use a razor blade or exacto knife under the trim carefully until the trim/taillight is loose from the body of the t@b. Start underneath the taillight trim and remove all of the old sealant while not cutting or knicking the wires to the taillight. Very carefully do the same to the t@b body where the taillight is mounted. To reattach, they used silicone sealant.  Wipe the body eith alcohol. Next squeeze some into the screw holes and then carefully apply a solid bead around the inside of the taillight trim, far enough from the edge of the trim so excess silicone will not squeeze out (it is a mess to clean up). Put the screws back in through the taillight trim, fresh sealant and into the holes. Tighten but do not overtighten. And you're done.

There are some who will argue that the silicone is not the best sealant for this job, but it is what nüCamp used as I specifically asked.

A note, the nüCamp techs explained that much of the time, during heavy downpours, the speed of water coming off the curved back of the t@b will keep the water from getting inside. It is during light drizzles, or snow melting slowly in winter that will allow water to seep in. 

Good luck with this. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Thanks Denise - I'll take a look under the tail lights and seal it up.  I did reseal the wire hole late last season.  I wasn't aware that the tail light trim housing needed to be sealed.  I don't recall that there was any kind of caulk there when I took it apart before.  I wonder it anyone uses butyl tape for this.  Seems like it would be less messy?
    Kathy 
    2018 T@B 320S - Cl@ra

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 618
    I think butyl tape would be a better option.  Just make sure all the surfaces are clean.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Thanks Horigan - that’s what I ended up using. I am getting an appointment at Miller’s in Pa to get some maintenance work done so I will have them take a look.
    Kathy 
    2018 T@B 320S - Cl@ra