Options

OK to leave T@B plugged in to shore power at home?

Last winter I kept my new-to-me T@B plugged in at home to run the dehumidifier.  Is there any downside (or potential problem) to keeping the trailer plugged in when I am at home?
2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    After 4 years of leaving ours plugged in all the time when not using our T@B, we haven't observed any reason not to.  That said, the only potential reason which I've recently become aware of is in the event of intermittent power outages or power drops, where some appliances could be damaged if running; though we don't normally leave anything running, and we now have installed an EMS unit to handle power drops, etc.  The first time we camped in our T@B after installing the EMS, we had two low voltage restarts recorded by the EMS during a severe thunderstorm when the campground had power interruptions, which the EMS handled automatically & restarted gracefully, while notifying us with the fault code.  If this could have otherwise damaged our converter, I'm not sure if we ever had such an incident previously at home, but all systems are working.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @BrianZ -- I do have a surge protector.  Hoping that is sufficient.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @PNWtabber, we too have left our t@b plugged in since we took delivery in May of 2016. We also have an ems system attached and have had no side effects. There are some who have argued the constant wear and tear on the converter might cause premature failure, but my counter to that argument is the fact that much electrically operated equipment benefits from constant operation and is more worn or affected by on/off cycles. It is well known that light bulbs last longer if left on as compared to turning them on and off. So, as far as I can suggest from personal experience, leave it plugged in and functioning. I think no harm no foul.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.