Options

Does Your Storage Cover Scratch Your Windows?

manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
Just picked up this cover:

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-PermaPro-Travel-Trailer/dp/B018M3JE8K/ref=sr_1_3?crid=4864FV3C3E2X&dchild=1&keywords=permapro+cover&qid=1633375709&sprefix=permapro+cover,aps,199&sr=8-3&th=1

Curious if anybody gets scratches on their windows from the cover as winds might buffet it. I thought of everything from putting saran wrap over the windows to cutting some fabric and placing it over the windows before covering (still trying to figure out how to secure them).
2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    No guarantee, but I used the cheaper PolyPRO3 Classic Accessories cover for several years and I haven't noticed scratches. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Any cover will most assuredly scratch the plastic windows over time. I have fine scratches just from cleaning with a microfiber towel and Plexus cleaner.

I don't know the solution, but a non contact cover either a garage or carport shelter would be best. I think the cover prevents sun fade, so solves one issue, but could create other issues on the process.

The best idea might be the cling wrap on there tight and as long as it doesn't wear through, then no potential rubbing on the windows by the cover. Of course there are other plastic parts like the colored trim....
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Marceline said:
    No guarantee, but I used the cheaper PolyPRO3 Classic Accessories cover for several years and I haven't noticed scratches. 
    I was looking at those on Amazon today, but so many reviews said they only lasted a year (or less).  You are happy with yours?
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    I've never noticed if it has.  I make sure my cover is securely attached at many different points around the trailer do it absolutely cannot move.  No flapping around, no wind getting underneath.  I use big spring clips.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    PNWtabber said:
    Marceline said:
    I was looking at those on Amazon today, but so many reviews said they only lasted a year (or less).  You are happy with yours?
    Mine lasted about three years before it self destructed. It lasted longer than I expected. After hearing about the much more expensive Pahaque covers falling apart in a similar timeframe I've just decided to stick with the cheap cover and replace it as needed. I just just ordered a new one. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    My Pahaque cover has lasted 5 years, and I just ordered a replacement.  Over the last year or so, it did develop a couple of rips and tears, which I patched, and got more time from it.  It had to be handled carefully, but it still worked just fine.  I have a car I keep covered and the thin cloth covers for it shred in a year.  Thicker is better.
    When my replacement shows up, I'm going to cut out the good parts of the old cover to use for future patch material.
    This thread has some good ideas for patches: dacron tape, a fiberglass repair kit called "Solareze" (which I used, the patch is still holding nicely).

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    PNWtabber said:
    Marceline said:
    I have the same cover as @Marceline. Bought it the fall of 2018 and planning to use it again this winter. Looking at the covers they sell at All Pro, mine does not come as close to the ground (only as far as the axle) and doesn't provide as much coverage over the tub as shown in the pics from the All Pro site. 

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    edited October 2021
    To prevent window scratches we use wide cling wrap available at U-haul or other moving supply places. Secure around windows with blue or green painters tape before putting the cover on. 

To fix the scratches we’ve had great results using Meguiars products with a buffer. 
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Thanks @Horigan
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited October 2021
    I neglected to mention in my previous post @manyman297, no scratches visible on the windows from our Classic Accessories cover (in use since 2018).

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    Thanks @CrabTab Good to know!
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    GiotaGiota Member Posts: 57
    I went to a body shop and they used 3M grit to polish out the scratches. It worked perfectly. They use three different grits to get to the final polish.
  • Options
    Giota said:
    I went to a body shop and they used 3M grit to polish out the scratches. It worked perfectly. They use three different grits to get to the final polish.
    I wonder if that’s the same or similar to the stuff used on old headlights to remove yellowing (I just did this a month ago and was surprised how well it worked). 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    I use the larger size pool noodles under my cover so the cover doesn't contact the roof or windows directly.  Having the space for air flow between the cover and the roof might be a plus.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    @fstop32 Do the noodles stay in place? I guess if the cover is taught enough they should, right?
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    @manyman297, leave it to me to over engineer something.  What I did was run a lightweight cord through the center of two noodles and leaving 4' or 5' of cord hanging out either end.  That gives me something to tie the noodle in place on the front and rear handles on the T@b.  I tie a 2 noodle string on the outer edge of roof so the cover just barely touches the side of the plastic trim that runs around the edges.  Then I have one more noodle string that runs down the middle of the roof to hold the cover off.  My tarp cover is held off the front window by the noodles.  I did tie a short dowel at the outer ends of the 2-noodle assembly so the noodles don't slide around when I am attaching them to the roof. 
    Short answer is the cord through the noodles when tied in place keep the noodles from moving around when you are stretching the cover on.
  • Options
    @fstop Thanks for the rundown!
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    @manyman297, I failed to mention that I have a gear/bike rack on the rear of my T@b that holds the cover off off the roof.  If you have an "uninterrupted roof" you will probably need 3 noodles per string to achieve the desired result.
    8^)
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    For those that have scratches, here's the product I used to remove them.  I used a random orbital buffer, but by hand would work also.

https://www.meguiars.com/marine/products/m17-mirror-glaze-clear-plastic-cleaner-8-oz

Followed by this for cleaning.

https://www.meguiars.com/marine/products/meguiars-m18-mirror-glaze-clear-plastic-detailer-8-oz
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA