Options

Has anyone added additional flexible solar to their late model T@B400?

Hi folks. Has anyone added solar to the existing 162 watt panel on the roof?  If so, how did it go, where did you make the connection.

As well, where is the existing controller and what is the existing capacity of it?  

One more. The outside port for external solar input (think it’s by the wet bay). Is that pre or post controller?  In other words, am I feeding a regulated or non regulated panel output into there if we go that route?  

Thanks folks. 

Comments

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    Been thinking of adding a second Renogy panel to my 320S Boondock over the winter. There's plenty of room for it. Will also have to replace/upgrade the Victron controller.
    The outside port on my 320 goes directly to the battery so I would need portable panels with a built in controller.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    ViajeroViajero Member Posts: 123
    That information is very good to know about the outside port. Any of the suitcase panels have built in controllers so not an issue. But a standard panel would cook the panel. Good to know. 

Is the Victron panel standard on the T@B, 

Don’t suppose you know where it is mounted on the 400. 

Heads up, we don’t have our 400 yet. Hence the questions. 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    Viajero, you might be mixing up some terms.  The factory installed Victron solar controller might need to be replaced if you add more panels to the roof of the trailer and want to link them together. 
    If you want to use a separate "portable" or "suitcase" panel, it is easiest to have a separate controller to operate them. 
    The "Victron" is the solar controller.  They are in various places in the trailer depending on the year.  The solar panels are a different company.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    The panel that comes with the 2021 400 is a Sunflare brand panel.

What a lot of people who utilize the external SAE solar port do is add an additional Victron controller for that port so you can forgo a panel with a built-in controller. What that allows you to do is network both the factory-installed Victron and the additional Victron together so they work in tandem and you can monitor both panels in the phone app using bluetooth.

Also, the factory-installed controller is mounted behind the drawer under the wardrobe (or 3-way fridge) on the driver's side. There might be room to add the additional controller under it but I think many people mount it closer to the battery.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Viajero, you might be mixing up some terms.  The factory installed Victron solar controller might need to be replaced if you add more panels to the roof of the trailer and want to link them together. 
    If you want to use a separate "portable" or "suitcase" panel, it is easiest to have a separate controller to operate them. 
    The "Victron" is the solar controller.  They are in various places in the trailer depending on the year.  The solar panels are a different company.

Yes. I was referring to a standard panel without a built in controller is a no go on that external port as a standard 12 volt panel outputs about 21 volts. 

Do you know the capacity of the built in victron controller,  Just curious.  

Thanks. 
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    Viajero said:

Thanks. 
    The factory installed Victron on the T@B 400 is the 75/15 unit. It isn't large enough to add additional panels to.
    https://www.amazon.com/Victron-BlueSolar-MPPT-Charge-Controller/dp/B018M88G98
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    ChrisFix said:
    Viajero said:

Thanks. 
    The factory installed Victron on the T@B 400 is the 75/15 unit. It isn't large enough to add additional panels to.
    https://www.amazon.com/Victron-BlueSolar-MPPT-Charge-Controller/dp/B018M88G98
    Thank you Chris. 
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    I was able to install the second 75/15 unit next to the factory installed one behind the drawer.  It just takes some Tab yoga contortions and a congratulatory beer when it is finished and working.

I like having the two side be side.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    That’s good to know. What other panel or panels did you add and where and how. 

Thanks in advance.