Options

“Rust” Stains on Fabric Panels

This weekend I noticed what looks like rust stains on our fabric panels in our 2020 400.  These stains are on all of the fabric panels throughout the camper, mostly along the edges.  Has anyone else noticed this?  I’m wondering if it is some kind of adhesive failure that is bleeding through the fabric.

Comments

• Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    I too have a few such stains. They are on the edge of the passenger side round window area. 
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Having had to replace a few of our panels (long story) I do know they are really easy to remove. Just pop off the decorative cap and it’s just a philips screw holding them in. Maybe see if there’s something going on behind the panels. I think there might be some staples on the backside but can’t imagine they could rust and bleed through. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    I noticed this on the leading edge of the rear upper panel around our tear starlight window.  Considered it possibly from A/C vent blowing across that area.  Kinda keeping an eye on it.  2018 400
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    edited October 2021
    Having had to replace a few of our panels (long story) I do know they are really easy to remove. Just pop off the decorative cap and it’s just a philips screw holding them in. Maybe see if there’s something going on behind the panels. I think there might be some staples on the backside but can’t imagine they could rust and bleed through. 
    Have a decorative cap (button) that has come undone. It's the last (top) cap over the head of the bed. I can feel that the cap has a coarse-threaded screw as its fastener. The hole in the ceiling is larger diameter than the screw, so trying to thread it back in isn't working.
    I get the feeling that a plastic insert should have been in the hole before someone tried to screw the cap in? Is that the case? If not, that may be a possible fix option?  Either that or a polymer-based filling compound for the hole?
    Thanks for letting me borrow from an experience you probably wish you never had!
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    So those screws are merely attached to the thin Luan interior of the ceiling. I had a couple work themselves loose (they were stripped out from the factory. What I did was the toothpick and superglue trick. Basically jam a bunch of toothpicks through the hole with some superglue coated on them. Let it dry and then rescrew the screw back into that hole. It’s worked for me so far.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    So those screws are merely attached to the thin Luan interior of the ceiling. I had a couple work themselves loose (they were stripped out from the factory. What I did was the toothpick and superglue trick. Basically jam a bunch of toothpicks through the hole with some superglue coated on them. Let it dry and then rescrew the screw back into that hole. It’s worked for me so far.
    Ha, thanks for the tip! I will do that.
    I also know what doesn't work. A plastic lag that fits the hole with a narrower diameter lag that fits inside it. Almost worked!

2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    Yeah, give the toothpick idea a try. Worked for me.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited January 2022
    So I received the panels and set about to replace them.  It was very easy.  There is no reason to try to go back into the same holes, but that is what I did on the first panel.  After removing it, I laid it on top of the replacement panel, and using it as a jig, used a marker and a woodworking awl to locate the holes on the new panel.  Then it was just a matter of screwing them into the marked punched hole and into the previous holes in the luan on the wall. The screws bit and tightened well.
  • Options
    So no idea on what is causing this?
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited January 2022
    So no idea on what is causing this?
    The only thing I can think it could be is the adhesive.  After removing the panels, the “stains” are nowhere near a staple, and the staples on the back side do not appear to be rusty.  Most of our stains are along edges where the fabric/padding is compressed, so I’m thinking the adhesive used to secure the padding to the backing is “pressed” through the fabric and it discolors on the surface.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited January 2022
    OMG.... this will bother me ALOT! I have a 2022 arriving any day now. Hopefully they figured this out already though. 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    TabbyShack I'm sure yours will be just fine.  We have a 2021 400, two years ownership as of this March, and our fabric in the entire trailer is pristine.  The trailer actually still feels brand new.  You're going to love your trailer.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    My 2019 T@B400 has such stains, though not as severe. I recall seeing them shortly after I picked up from dealer in 2019.
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    I sold my 2019 400 in October and I never had this staining. I would have definitely noticed it. I wonder if there is any correlation with the climate? I live in Maryland near the VA/DC border.  I doubt this has anything to do with it but just trying to think of everything. 
  • Options
    MikeWright01MikeWright01 Member Posts: 10
    I just picked up a 2022 and the panels were already wrinkled over the bed at the dealership.  Hoping nuCamp will move on warranty panels. It's on my cut list.
    2022 nuCamp T@B 400 Boondock
    2021 Subaru Ascent