Options

We bring our Air Fryer camping with us

Always looking for great ideas on this Forum, so sharing for anyone it might help, that we bring our 10Q air fryer we bought at Best Buy.  It can cook anything and everything, from a cobbler my wife made at Unicoi State Park in recent weeks, to chicken, or veges etc.  Easy clean up too, and we simply run an extension cord to it, and set it on a table in our CS-S kitchen area.  We have used the charcoal and park grills, but for a way of cooking and easy clean up without the extra mess in the galley, a great idea we found.  Morning everyone.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited October 2021
    Thanks for posting.  I am always trying to find easy cooking options at camp.  I like crock pots but was recently considering an instant pot but hadn't thought about the air fryer. I definitely think I'm going to research an air fryer now that you mentioned it. It seems like a good option to consider. 
  • Options
    LawyerboyLawyerboy Member Posts: 98
    Our air fryer comes with two trays, not a basket. That makes cooking easier because you could cook two types of food at the same time and cleanup is simply the two cooking grated which are non stick. We put foil on the bottom drip pan and no cleaning there. It does so many things and while we travel, it sits in the tab on the floor. Happy camping
  • Options
    Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    Funny how one's opinion can change. At one time I would have read this and thought..."bring an air fryer camping...meh"! But then I would have also said I would never use a microwave camping and my wife would never think about bringing our Keurig. Our last trip the Keurig came with us and I've used the microwave several times now. I really thought owning a T@B would allow me to up my campfire cooking game but just the opposite has been true. Sometimes you just can't pass up convenience.
    2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
  • Options
    It is funny. We have the rear galley so we are cooking outside.  I did bring a little five cup coffee maker last trip and we have a kettle that heats the water.  We still use our stove and fridge so best of both worlds. My wife made a cobbler in the air fryer last trip using an aluminum pan and the couple in the next site we met brought the wine.  Good times.
  • Options
    hahaha, i think we all start out with delusions of grandeur that we are going to be a master chef over the coals of a campfire, but when hunger sets in and you're a bit tired from your hike or corn-hole game you want good food fast!  I probably have 10 different cook stoves, grates, pots, burners, grills, etc, etc. I'm  always in search of the perfect cooking process/utensil for cooking while camping.  I HATE the cleanup process, so anything I can cook in one pot with minimal effort is tops in my book! So looks like I will be adding an instant pot (with air fryer top) to my collection!  I do actually have EXCELLENT results cooking bread pudding and cobbler in a casserole style crock pot if anyone is interested in trying that.   
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Hubby and I have talked about this one...if and when we go out on a longer trip may take our Ninja Foodie compact with us as it is a pressure cooker and air fryer... it's bigger than my 3 at instant pot but I can make a crispy browned chicken in it...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    hahaha, i think we all start out with delusions of grandeur that we are going to be a master chef over the coals of a campfire, but when hunger sets in and you're a bit tired from your hike or corn-hole game you want good food fast!  I probably have 10 different cook stoves, grates, pots, burners, grills, etc, etc. I'm  always in search of the perfect cooking process/utensil for cooking while camping.  I HATE the cleanup process, so anything I can cook in one pot with minimal effort is tops in my book! So looks like I will be adding an instant pot (with air fryer top) to my collection!  I do actually have EXCELLENT results cooking bread pudding and cobbler in a casserole style crock pot if anyone is interested in trying that.   
    I have cooked some amazing meals on the fire over the years. I've already done rotisserie chickens using nothing more than a couple sticks and string. I'm also proficient with a dutch oven, braised short ribs being one of my favorites. What we call "foil packet meals" were a staple when we tent camped (wrap some boneless chicken or fish with whatever veggies oil/butter herbs and spices you like in foil, throw them over some hot coals, unwrap and eat).
    Besides convenience, one major issue keeping me from doing more campfire cooking since we got that T@B has been weather. When we tent camped we only camped when we knew it was going to be fair weather. One of the reasons we purchased our T@B was so that we could book/plan trips well in advance without having to wait to see what the weather was going to be. This year we calculated that about 75% of the days we camped we had rain (in several cases LOTS of it).

2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
  • Options
    Thanks Da Birds. I like the foil packet idea.  I keep forgetting about that. I did do that for the first time this year with veggies but hadn't thought to do meat.  I will try that next season. Yea weather this year was rough. 
  • Options
    Foil packs work nicely with boneless and skinless chicken thighs with some bbq sauce in there.  
  • Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 63
    I took the microwave out of our 2021 CS-S mostly because we just don't cook using a microwave all that much.  We have fallen in love with the small Cusinart airfryer.  With slight mods it fit into the space.  For two people, that airfryer is an amazing little tool.  It will roast a pan of veggies, air fry veggies, air fry breakfast sausages in about 7 minutes, brats a little longer.  Of course, we have to have shore power or use the generator.  My better half really likes the easy cleanup.