Options

Dog escape prevention

Do your dogs try to dodge the door when you let them out if the camper, or are you ever concerned about them pulling on you when they are on leash and you are exiting your camper?

For us, we have two dogs who get really excited about going “outside”,  Yeah, I know, if I was a dog whisperer, then my dogs would be perfectly trained and well behaved all the time such that I would tell them to STAY inside the camper until given the command to exit the camper.   But since I’m keeping things real, that ain’t gonna happen.

Also, my hubby has balance and gait issues so we don’t want any variables that might contribute to his instability when he exits the camper and needs to manage the dogs, too.

We have two dog tethers that we mount exterior to the camper.  When we bring the dogs inside with us, we want to be able to keep the tethers handy to place on the dogs easily with no great escapes and no trip hazards or falls on the stairs.

Simple solution:   Gigantic carabiner from Home Depot or Harbor Freight and a 2” steel ring.  Hang it on the outside handle with the ends of the tethers attached.

When it’s time to let the dogs out, I can reach outside and grab the whole carabiner and bring it inside.  The tethers can get attached to dog collars.  The dog’s can go out first, and I can safely descend the stairs without any pulling or tugging.

I hope you found this helpful.

Comments