Do I still need the Victron 712 with Solar Package?

Hi, I'm getting ready to order a 2022 T@B 400 and it comes standard with solar now. I know you can read the solar charge on a phone app, but does it also give you the same info the Victron 712 does for the info on your battery?  Like state of charge, voltage, current, power, time remaining etc.  

Thanks

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    The 712 gives you the "AH Used" which is the whole advantage of the shunt type monitors.  The App reads more data from the solar controller, like incoming solar voltage, but does not have the "AH Used".  Both of them together would be very useful.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Thanks! That's exactly what I was wanted to know. I will have the dealer install before I pick it up. I've installed two already (2015 and 2019 Tabs) but I'm tired of the anxiety of cutting a hole in the wall! You only get one chance! 
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    If your 712 has the bluetooth capability, you can just avoid the "hole in the wall" by just using the 712 on your phone.  Your Victron solar controller will only work on bluetooth, so it might be more convenient to access both of them from the phone. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Oh I didn't think of that! I have the blue tooth capable one in my 2019 now but was planning to have dealer install this time.  I rarely check the actual monitor anyway.  I usually just use my phone.  So I don't really have to mount it I guess it what you are saying. 
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    Victron has a Smart Shunt that is Bluetooth ready and doesn't have a display.  Cheaper and a better option for you.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • I'm emailing my dealer now to cancel the BMV 712 for the smart shunt! Thanks so much. I wasn't aware of this product. 
  • Ok, so I'm getting the smart shunt now instead of the 712. Great suggestion.  My new question is will I be able to read all the solar info through just the victron smart shunt app or will I need to view on two seperate apps? (I think they are both Victron but seperate?)  I think the charge controller has to connect direct to the shunt so I'm thinking I will be able to see some of the solar info on the shunt app? 
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    You need to view both apps, as they give different info.  The Smart Shunt/712 gives battery state and system load info, whilst the Solar app gives solar panels output and voltage levels info.  Both show current battery stage, but one shows what is going to the battery, and theother what is coming out (load) of the battery.  Both are needed to evaluate the total system.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,498
    Denny16 said:
    You need to view both apps, as they give different info.  The Smart Shunt/712 gives battery state and system load info, whilst the Solar app gives solar panels output and voltage levels info.  Both show current battery stage, but one shows what is going to the battery, and theother what is coming out (load) of the battery.  Both are needed to evaluate the total system.
    cheers
    You need both devices, but isn't the data from both devices available through the same app (Victron Connect). 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    Marceline, the Victron Connect App, has menu display for each Victron device/app for the MPPT solar, and you open the info displayfor the Smart Shunt/712 or the MPPT, etc., which displays the data for the device selected.  Victron Connect opens and finds the BT devices linked to it, then gives you a list of devices available, like the Smart Shunt or MPPT controller.  Combined data is not displayed on one screen, at least on mine it is not.
    cheers
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,498
    edited November 2021
    Denny16 said:
    Marceline, the Victron Connect App, has menu display for each Victron device/app for the MPPT solar, and you open the info displayfor the Smart Shunt/712 or the MPPT, etc., which displays the data for the device selected.  Victron Connect opens and finds the BT devices linked to it, then gives you a list of devices available, like the Smart Shunt or MPPT controller.  Combined data is not displayed on one screen, at least on mine it is not.
    cheers
    Right. There is a single app  (Victron Connect) that displays the data from different Victron devices on individual pages. Unless I misunderstood, I think that @TabbyShack was asking whether it would be necessary to download a separate app for each device. All that is needed is one app - Victron Connect. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    Correct Marceline, one app to download.
    cheers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited November 2021
    Thanks Marceline. That is what I was asking.  Thanks for the clarification.  It sounds like then two devices will show up in the app though, the shunt and the solar controller.