Options

2016 3-way fridge - Kaput?

While on my trip this summer I couldn't get the fridge to stay lit on propane (despite being perfectly level and doing all the "tricks"). Thought it might just be a loose thermocouple). In Portland, took it to Apache. They diagnosed it saying I needed a new thermocouple & interrupter. Parts were cheap but I couldn't leave it there as I was departing the area heading home to Tucson. They shipped the parts to Tom's in Tucson so I left the trailer there when I returned. Just got a call that neither of those parts worked and they now say I either need a new controller or a new fridge! Needless to say I'm very upset with already spending $$ up in Oregon and now more $$ just for the diagnosis. I realize those 3-ways don't last long but I wonder if I'm being "taken." Would love to swap it out for a new 2-way but it appears to take a lot of altering plus cabinet work. Guess I needed a place to 'vent' so thanks for listening!
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 447
    Assuming you have the standard Norcold 3163, that one does not have a "controller". Maybe find a different place that can actually do proper diagnosis as outlined in the service manual. If the fridge works on AC there is no need to replace it. 
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    @Grumpy_G --- wow, thank you. Now I'm at a total loss. The dealer's repair dept said they were in contact with a Norcold rep and (supposedly) they told them it was the controller board....perhaps I am not naming it correctly. It's a power board (I'm guessing like a computer's motherboard)? 

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Just found out it's actually called the Control Assembly....

• Options
    Control assembly is the thermostat plus the safety valve and interrupter. That and the relighter are what controls the fridge on gas or AC. The gas side works differently from most other RV absorption fridges in that the flame is constantly on and the temperature is regulated by flame size. Typical RV fridges have a simple electronic control board that opens a gas valve and starts the igniter (or simply turns on the AC heater) based on a thermistor inside the compartment. 

What is the exact issue ? Is the fridge not going through the lighting process and the indicator never comes on ? Or does the fridge work for some time and then the indicator goes off ? 
  • Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    The 2013 Norcold in my 2014 T@B is still going strong. They can be reliable fridges if maintained and serviced properly. Mine has needed a (thermocouple?) valve replaced but that’s it. 
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    @Grumpy_G - The fridge will not stay lit on propane. Green light comes on but immediately goes out (I've had the trailer since Aug of '15/it's considered a '16 model) so I know I have to be level and have used all the tips/tricks - never had issues in previous years. It works on electric. I had hoped it was just a loose nut to the thermocouple but the Portland dealer said it needed a new thermocouple and interrupter. The Tucson dealer put those in and said it still wouldn't stay lit and were on the phone w/Norcold. Now I'm told it needs that control assembly. If it already has a new thermocouple and interrupter, what else in that assembly could fix the problem. Kind of doesn't make sense to me as I look at a diagram of that part and there's not much else to it besides some brackets and "tubes". Frustrating when one has to rely on others but then get different answers (two dealers - two different solutions - and more $$ spent)! 

• Options
    Sounds like the interrupter isn't keeping the safety valve open when the flame is present. That could indeed be an issue with the safety valve, given that the interrupter and thermocouple have already been replaced. But again, there is a detailed troubleshooting flow chart that should pinpoint the problem instead of unloading the parts cannon. 
  • Options
    argantejoanargantejoan Member Posts: 3
    Grumpy great info ! Where can I get the flie chart mentioned?
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    @argantejoan This thread is about trouble shooting a propane problem on a Norcold 3163.  Inside it, there are links to the service manuals, what is probably what the "flow chart" pertains to.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Grumpy_G said:
    Sounds like the interrupter isn't keeping the safety valve open when the flame is present. That could indeed be an issue with the safety valve, given that the interrupter and thermocouple have already been replaced. But again, there is a detailed troubleshooting flow chart that should pinpoint the problem instead of unloading the parts cannon. 
    I was able to talk with the service mgr at my dealer and he agreed to go through the checklist flow chart to re-assess the issue and do each trouble shooting from the chart. We did discuss the safety valve so perhaps that will be it. Will be bringing the trailer in mid-January so I'll report back once this is taken care of - thanks!