Options

Maxxfan Dome Plus weak Latch

Hi all.  Our 2021 Tab400 BDE came with a Maxxfan Dome Plus 3810 installed in the wet bath.  

It seems to have a weak latching mechanism for preventing the dome lid from popping open either from wind when traveling or just pushing on the handle without depressing the button.

I don’t know if this is a design flaw or if mine has something “wrong” with it (broken or installed wrong).

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I only had issues with the power button. It momentarily wouldn’t click on. When you pressed the button it wouldn’t latch in the ON position. Had to play around with it and it seems fine now. 

As far as the latch I haven’t had issues yet.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    SnoblettSnoblett Member Posts: 99
    We noticed it while traveling in the rain.  I had drips of water in the wet bath when we pulled over for a rest stop.  

At the time, I had the not-so-brilliant idea to use some tie downs looped through the handle and around the shower bar.

That’s how we learned that the screws mounting the shower were too short! Whoops!

Currently, I have folded dish towel wedged between the fan handle and the screen.  It’s sturdy enough to prevent the dome lid from popping up, yet forgiving so as not to rupture the screen.
  • Options
    JohninMissouriJohninMissouri Member Posts: 28
        Yes, our 2021 Tab400 has same problem.  Pops-up while going down road.  Cannot find a position that will keep it latched shut.   Now at dealer for a fix, I hope.   Question, should Nucamp be informed?  
  • Options
        Yes, our 2021 Tab400 has same problem.  Pops-up while going down road.  Cannot find a position that will keep it latched shut.   Now at dealer for a fix, I hope.   Question, should Nucamp be informed?  

I spoke with Creed this past week.  He had not heard of others with this issue yet.  I think it would be helpful for them to hear more.  Mine, when it gets into the shop, will be warranty work.  It remains to be seen whether they’ll adjust something or order a replacement from the manufacturer. 

I tried contacting the manufacturer using the phone number on the Installation/Owners guide, but the phone number is no longer valid- weird.  They are in Wichita, I’ll probably dig a little harder to find a phone number 
  • Options
    JohninMissouriJohninMissouri Member Posts: 28
       Thanks.   Guessing there is a small plastic tab inside that is not clicking-in.  Not such a robust tab.
  • Options
       Thanks.   Guessing there is a small plastic tab inside that is not clicking-in.  Not such a robust tab.
    That’s what I thinking, but it may have to do with the metal “spring”.  When I looked at it closely the other day, I noticed they use a rectangular strip of sheet metal bent so to act like a spring that keeps tension or blocks the movement of the lid and handle assembly.

when pressing the button to open, it wedges behind the metal allowing the bottom section to push upwards thereby pushing up the lid.

so, it might be a piece of plastic, or it might be the metal doesn’t provide enough tension, or both? 
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    Interested in knowing if anyone found a solution. I just installed one in the outside bathroom wall on my T@B 320S Boondock. It has a rain shield over it and since it's not a roof mount and has a rain guard over it I don't think I'll have a problem. It seem to click in place and latch pretty good when it's closed but interested in knowing in case I have a problem with it in the future.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    I took mine for service in November. The manufacturer said it was a flaw abd was going to replace it, but they were back ordered at the time.  Now that it’s spring, this is a good reminder to follow up!!