Options

CO + Propane Monitor Death in a Supply-Constrained World

This weekend, the Atwood carbon monoxide and propane leak detector in my 2020 T@B 400 died.  It had a fault and would not reset.  Considering we were about to use the camper as a spare bedroom for incoming family this week for Thanksgiving, I needed to replace it quickly.  It turns out the supply-chain issues extend to CO+Propane detectors.  I mined the Internet all weekend, looking for a direct or suitable replacement and could not find any in stock.  This morning I called five RV dealerships in my area, and none had a suitable replacement (the Atwood model in our camper is discontinued).  I’m still waiting to hear back from my selling dealer, but given their track record, I won’t hear from them.

It turns out I found another brand replacement that would work in the existing 3.5”x3.5” opening at the Nashville Camping World store.  It was the last monitor they had left in stock that would work in that opening without having to do surgery on that pretty Baltic birch plywood.  After a nearly two-hour drive, I have the part in-hand and will install it today.

Thinking how close we came to not being able to use our camper over this.  (No, we would not use our camper without a working monitor.). Apparently OEMs can get them, but the retail public and repair facilities are out of luck apparently.

Comments