Options

KOA adding Electric vehicle charge stations to their RV pedestals.

ViajeroViajero Member Posts: 123
Here is an article that popped up on the EV towing channels. Informative looks like KOA will be adding EV charging to their pedestals. Nice touch. We have noticed a couple campgrounds around here have added a J1772 cord or two in common areas but these pedestals will be right on the camp site. 20, 30, 50 amp plus a J1772 cable right on the pedestal.  Kinda cool.  Here’s the link and a pic. 

Comments

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Fueling infrastructure is so crucial to making an EV viable. Glad to read this story of forward progress. Thanks for sharing @Viajero .

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    This is awesome news! I've been thinking eventually campgrounds are going to start noticing people charging vehicles and start adding a surcharge to the site rental fee. I would be surprised if they don't figure out a way to charge extra to use this.  I've been kind of a tiny bit stealth about it when I charge at the electric 50/30 amp post. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I think it’s a given that they will charge. It’s a revenue stream. I’m more interested in wether it will be electronic per use billing like CHARGEPOINT or FLO or a daily charge. I’d pay twenty bucks to start the day out fully charged before a road trip. 
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited December 2021
    When the cost to charge exceeds a gallon of gas charging a hybrid EV is pretty much pointless, but a full EV would be worth $20. I have a hybrid and only get 24-27 miles of electric. I complain if I have to pay more than $3.00 because it gets close to where I could buy a gallon of gas.  Currently, I plug in when I go to bed and I'm fully charged in the am. If they  charge to much to charge, I will continue to just plug into the outside outlet on the T@b.
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    Seems like a good use of the infrastructure funds to upgrade the grid and start installing these in state parks and COE sites as well. If EV tow vehicles can live up to their promise, it would make me want to move to an electric  vehicle.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    When the cost to charge exceeds a gallon of gas charging a hybrid EV is pretty much pointless, but a full EV would be worth $20. I have a hybrid and only get 24-27 miles of electric. I complain if I have to pay more than $3.00 because it gets close to where I could buy a gallon of gas.  Currently, I plug in when I go to bed and I'm fully charged in the am. If they  charge to much to charge, I will continue to just plug into the outside outlet on the T@b.
    I think to some degree people would be willing to pay a little more for convenience. Leaving the campground fully charged is better than hunting down a supercharger. We drive an EV and will be towing a T@B 400 with one and I know at least to a certain point we would be willing to pay for the convenience. 
  • Options
    TowheeTowhee Member Posts: 46
    I wonder if these stations will be open to non campers who won't be overnighting, but just need a charge.  The Tesla network is awesome for the main highways but still lacks in some rural areas where campgrounds may be located.
  • Options
    Probably for a price. . But remember, these are level 2 charge stations that max out around 12 KW.  Tesla Superchargers or their non Tesla equivalents are level DC fast chargers that can be 100 to 350 kw units. The level 2 units are more of an over night affair.