Options

Upgrade 2020 Tab 400 BDL with Cassette Toilet

Has anyone made this upgrade?  I think it would be helpful for winter camping.  

States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,031
    I actually wish the cassette was an option on the 400.  I think is does allow more options for disposing the waste. It would be quite a modification to complete on the existing trailer.  Something I would never want to tackle.  However for winter camping or times we can't use the black tank, extended periods where we can't dump, we simply use WAG Bags in the existing toilet.  They work very well and are easy to use and dispose of.  Bonus is no modification is needed.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,604
    As a option I guess a cassette would be okay.
    No way would I ever select it.
    At best you have two or three times more of having to dump the waste tank. Plus the physical effort of lifting the darn tank. Too many down sides for me.

And yes, this will be my only 320S as any possible future replacement won't have a cassette. So am extra happy about NüCamp build quality
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited December 2021
    I think in a perfect world we could have both types of toilets in the 400 and switch off depending on the need. 

Am I missing something, or aren't you achieving the same exact functionality of the cassette toilet by just dumping your regular black tank into a small size sewer tote, but only partially filling it so you can easily lift it.  Or maybe even buying a cassette and dumping into that with a short piece of sewer hose from the black tank? Hum, got me thinking now.  Yea, you could buy the Thetford Cassette and the Americanizer adapter and just dump your black tank into the cassette.   I would use a piece of dump hose just long enough to reach from the dump outlet on the camper to the dump intake on the cassette sitting on the ground.

I guess the only tricky thing would be making sure you dump it before you have more more than the cassette would hold and that would be a major issue if you filled the cassette and had already released the contents into the shoot area of the dump valve.  I think you could do a test run at home with filling the toilet with clean flush water and toilet paper and then figuring out about how many flushes fill up the cassette. I wouldn't put much faith in the tank guage. 

https://www.amazon.com/Americanizer-Adapter-Cassettes-Portable-Toilets/dp/B098BMXGCQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=americanizer&qid=1638995684&sr=8-1

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited December 2021
    I had a similar thought, but my camping experience has been the gray tank fills up before put black tank.  As long as you need to dump one, might as well dump both.  I also considered getting a portable (on wheels) dump tank, in 6-12 gal range, to allow dumping at sites that do not have a sewer connection at the space, but a central one in the facility.

The whole idea of the cassette toilet, is not only fast and convenient dumping on the go, but also no black tank cleaning, maintenance and dealing with long sewer dump hoses.  The Americanizer for dumping the cassette makes dumping even easier and less messy.

That said, Thetford has developed an alternative black tank system, that incorporates a macerator pump and on board waste treatment system, that allows dumping toilet waste into European gray water dump systems, even less messy, but does require buying Thetford’s waste treatment chemicals, so not as green a solution, but not sure if the treatment chemical kit is organic based or something else…?
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    I'm not too concerned about being green when dealing with brown!  For sure my gray tank does fill up way faster. I added the Valtera sewer cap with the threaded hose attachment and a 7 gallon water container.  This has worked great for me. I just cut a short piece of garden hose with the threads left at one end. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006N5RYK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QC31G6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 358
    "No black tank to clean up." Isn't the cassette by definition a black tank you have to empty twice as often. The only advantage I can see is the ability to empty the cassette in a toilet. I would imagine it is easy to make a mess.

If the issue is dumping without moving the trailer, a portable dump station will work. Most have the tubing built in.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"