Options

Storage Space in T@B-L

DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70

Hi T@Bytes -- My wife and I have become smitten by the T@B, as so many have.  We're veteran canoe campers in Minnesota's BWCA, paddling extremely lightweight solo canoes, and are looking forward to carrying them over the road along with our T@B now that I'm retired. That probably won't happen until August, as we haven't yet ordered our T@B, but we may order one early next week. 

We've narrowed choices to the Q or L models, but can use some advice about the L version.  We've taken a close look at all of the models, except for the elusive L.  I've seen lots of photos of the L, including those of June's wonderful FanT@Bulous, but am still in the dark about what's behind the four wardrobe doors in the back.  Victor posted a similar question on March 26 and June posted some great photos, but none that reveal what's behind the doors.  Do the four doors open to a single open space side-to-side or are there separate compartments?  Are there shelves and, if not, have any of you added them?   I gather that there's probably storage below the "closet" floor, which would be the area behind and below the rear seatback in the U and Q models, but confirmation would be helpful.  On the Q models with Alde systems, the Alde is stored in this rear section on the driver's side, so that area can't be easily used for storage.  In the L, I'm guessing that it may be located under the seat on the port side, but not in the rear section.  If anyone knows, that would be appreciated.  I have learned from the forum discussion regarding seat rails that the L model comes with rails installed to support boards supplied by LG to extend the table to make the bed.  This may also be true for the CS.  I should add that we're sufficiently height challenged to comfortably sleep wheel-to-wheel. 

Any photos about the the storage configuration at the rear of the T@B-L would be wonderfully helpful.  

Thanks!
David, T@BLess in Minnesota

David -- Saint Paul, MN
2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"

Comments

• Options
    IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    edited April 2014
    I have a 2008 L. There are four doors covering a single empty space. There is one removable floor board for both center cabinets, measuring about 30.5 inches long by about 19.5 inches deep. Each side door has its own floor board, about 20 inches long. The space follows the contour of the T@B, of course, so it slants at an angle making the top part less usable. Under the floor is also a single area. Of course, to get to it you have to clear everything off the appropriate floor board. I keep a few items there that I don't need to get to often--space heater, spare paper towels, extra rope--things along those lines. The best DIY shelving I've seen in one was done by installing brackets on the door framing, facing the back wall of the camper. We put larger items and bedding in the two center cabinets and clothes in the side cabinets. For clothes, we've toyed with different shelving ideas, all of which have turned out to be more cumbersome than useful. I think this year we're going with stackable plastic bins.
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    edited April 2014
    Hi soon NOT to be T@bless from Minnesota. :) Thank you for F@ntabulous' compliments.  Kristi described the cabinets pretty well.  I will take pictures the next time I camp maybe next weekend.  I need to see how the weather looks as the weekend approaches. The two middle doors open outward which makes a large opening to get things in and out as well as the outer doors open as well.  Inside there is one single space side to side.  I use stackable plastic bins in one half for clothes and personal items and one very large softsided storage container with zipper I got at Walmart for all the bedding in the other half.  There are two removable shelves half way that look like the ones the bench seats have.  I keep my inflatable kayak and all its gear down in there and there is still room for other stuff.   My T@b was built Jan 2013, so I have the Cool Cat Heat Pump that about runs me out.  I don't need to run either AC or heat for very long!  I ordered the L floorplan for all the extra storage, but also because I am a solo camper and the short queen was plenty big.  However, if I was a couple I might prefer the Q since it has a bigger bed.  I think the Q would make it easier for a couple to get in and out of the bed.  Since the L bed sleep crossways, the person closest to the cabinets would have to crawl over the other person to get out of bed.  Hope this helps.
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options

PS David - I say this all the time. If you are going to special order your T@B.....  order a front window while you are at it!  It is WONDERFUL to have and adds to the feeling of open-ness and brings the outdoors in even more.  And heck while you're at it....pick out your favorite color for the body.  Both options only added around a $1000 to the total price. At least it did when I ordered mine Nov. 2012.

• Options

Kristi and June -- Together you've shed a whole lot of light about the space configuration in the L.  I've been able to imagine it, with a few visual clues from photos on the web, but nothing substitutes for experienced T@BLers.  The main difference between the Dutchman 2008 version and the LG 2013 version seems to involve the panels that open up the lower storage section, which went from 3 sections in 2008 to 2 in 2013.  The only remaining mystery for the newer models is where LG is putting the Alde system.  If it was not put in the rear lower storage section, then I now know most of what I was hoping to learn; maybe someone will weigh in with an answer to the Alde location. 

And, thanks to you both for your solutions to storing clothing and gear.  I had been thinking that the  stacked plastic drawer systems I've seen at Target would work and I've been pondering hanging shelves from the backside of the door dividers.  June wrote that "the two middle doors open outward which makes a large opening to get things in and out."  The photos I've seen show vertical dividers between all of the doors, including the two middle doors. The middle divider had been troubling us, as it seemed to be an unnecessary obstacle to getting large items stored. June, did LG eliminate the middle divider in the 2013 model to provide better access through the large opening?

As for other options, though FanT@Bulous looks fantabulous in red, we'll be ordering ours in silver and black or all silver -- more subtle, but how much attention can a person stand!  We're already committed to the front window to bring in some light and are even hoping that LG will have begun producing the operable window by the time ours is built.

Finally, we've already weighed the sleeping logistics and are quite comfortable with the tradeoff with the L's storage.  If I understand correctly that the L's foldable table is not as long as the side bench seats and that boards make up the full bed width, then the L may also have the potential for a bit more daytime floor space than the Q as well.  To be honest, during the past 6 weeks, Susan and I have cycled from leaning towards the L, settled on the S for a week or so, then on the Q (since we couldn't get to see an L), but are now back pretty solidly favoring the L.  I'm sure that by Monday, with a bit more help from you and other T@Bytes, we'll be confidently ready to order by Monday.

David -- Saint Paul, MN
  • Options
    I tried plastic pull out drawers, but did not find any that would fit, because of the slant of the back wall of the cabinets. The floor is 19.5 inches deep, but at 12" above the floor, it's only about 12" deep. Any drawers I thought were big enough to be useful were too big to stack, although it would be possible to use one with a smaller bin on top. Hopefully that will save you some trial and error!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Sorry David, I re-read what I posted and it did imply there was no divider, but mine does.  But because of the way the doors open out I have not had any trouble getting larger stuff inside.  I go in from an angle and since the interior is both fairly deep toward the middle and wide ...it works.  As for the bed, my table rests on rails and it came with two slats to complete the bed base.  I also had 1" x 12" slats made out of spruce so I can use the table outside and leave the bed made up.  I measured all my interior cabinets (front and back) before I went shopping for storage containers.  I prefer in the back to use a couple of 24" x 15" x 6" plastic bins with lids.  As for color, my 2nd choice was yellow with white like TABaker's and even considered  aqua with white.  When my tow vehicle has both my kayak and my bike on board it gets enough attention, so when T@b is attached......  :)  Well I just have to remember never to pick my nose or do something disgusting like that whenever I am traveling with all my toys!  LOL   I did see a picture of a T@b with a white body with white trim and that was VERY nice!  Sorry I can't help with the Alde question.  OH, one other thing.  If you go with the L, I would tell LG not to put the speakers where they put mine.  When I make the bed, the mattress and my 2 inch memory foam covers the speakers so I have to turn them way up.  They might have had to put them there because of the four cabinet doors and not enough space on the wall under the lights.  It's definitely something I wish could be changed.  I'll post another pic so you can see where mine are located although the pillow almost covers it.  You can also see that the space under the light might not have enough room unless they went with a different speaker design. Huge design flaw in my opinion. 
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    That is a very nice feature.
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Mine is silver and black (because that was the deal!), but I really dug that silver on silver. What I'd like to do is add some metallic orange to the mix... ...but I digress.

We originally thought on paper we were absolutely going to snag the CS... but then I entered the S and was all about it. The ability to sit up and lounge agaonst the backrest, and then to lower it and maximize space and bed area. Plus, you can indeed get behind there if you so choose, for lots of storage. The ultimate decider was the recliner feature Neil showed. There aren't many chairs in our home that aren't recliners, so the availability of same was a "done deal".

BTW, I think my behind the head storage is installed backwards... we had no idea it opened, but we wondered what was with the thumbhole!

We use the storage behind the seatback to store bedding on the left, and whatever on the right.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    June, thanks for the reminder about the speaker location on your L.  Thinking back to when I first started researching the L, your note about this annoying location is what nudged me to look more closely at the Q.  Photos of Ls posted elsewhere, including the tab-rv site, show the speakers down below the cabinets.  But I've also seen some photos for 2014s that show them up under the lights. I will be sure to request -- actually require -- confirmation that they will be placed up high before finalizing my choice between the L and Q.  

That said, I also appreciate all of the guidance many TABQers, especially Neil, have given about features they like and improvements they've made to their TABs.  I can totally understand why the longer bed and reclining seat back are so appealing, but my wife and I are 10' 5" between the two of us and don't even have a recliner at home. We're not big TV watchers, but the reclining seat back would be nice for reading.  Still, with the tips from June and Kristi we've pretty much settled on the storage advantages of the L. And, without the rear bench, there's actually more room around the table, which we like.   

About the TV location: Normally the TV mount is over the stove on the L and Q. But I've seen photos of it mounted on the door side above the window as in the last photo of the S model at the LG TAB web site. Because we'd rather not have it mounted over the cooking area and think it would be more comfortable viewing in the L if it were mounted over the window, we're going to request that it be put there.  Is there any reason why that wouldn't be done by LG if we order it that way?

Tomorrow I'll be visiting my dealer to discuss adding my order to what will probably be his last one of the season. He doesn't expect delivery until mid-August with the current backlog. I'm hoping that, by then, LG has begun offering the operable front window. I've been told as recently as last week that the announcement was premature and that no production plans are in place. If it won't be available, I'm tempted to wait, but maybe the operable window would be too much like gilding the lily.

I can't tell you all how much I appreciate the help you've all offered since my original post. I know that others also will find it useful. Hope to see you on the road before too long.

David -- Saint Paul, MN
  • Options
    Television location in my 2014 S model.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    Speaker location in 2014 S model.
  • Options
    I would definitely have the TV mounted on the door side. You'll likely sleep with your heads on the street-side wall so that you can get in and out without having to swing your legs past the stove cabinet (especially awkward for the person in the back) so you'll probably want the TV where you can see it from bed.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I do not have the hinges behind the reclinging bench backrest. I wonder if that is eliminated with the Alde, as there are radiators back there now. I see a thumbhole, but the wood will not move.
  • Options
    When I visited my MN dealer last week, I specifically asked for a look at the storage space behind the seatback on a Q with the Alde system.  The panel had a thumbhole but I was told that it couldn't be opened and used for storage. The explanation was that it's now used for mechanicals. I did inspect the section under the rear cushions. The door side section could be used for storage. The driver side section contained the Alde system, but apparently ducting runs in the section and it no longer can be opened as in earlier Q and S models. Kristi and June both described nice storage access under the closets in the L. Now I'm concerned that access to the lower rear section might no longer be available when Alde's are installed.  As I think someone has written elsewhere -- every T@B seems to be different. Then again, aren't we all?
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
  • Options
    I called LG this morning and was amazed to be talking with Chris Baum. No recorded message, no receptionist, no wait -- just a direct line to Chris, LG's COO.  As busy as LG is turning units out right now, that's actually more than amazing. What a company! 

Here's what I learned concerning my specific question about the L: speakers are now mounted up high under the lights and the TV can easily be mounted by the door. No turning up the volume because the speakers are under the bed; no advanced yoga positions needed to view the TV while in the crosswise bed.

More importantly for all future Q, U, S and Lers: When equipped with the Alde system, the lower rear area that had been accessible for storage behind the seatback in Q, U and S models and under the cabinet doors in the L is now closed off as it contains plumbing for the hot water heat.  That's a disappointment; unlike June, I'll need to find another way to store an inflatable boat. If a T@B is ordered without an Alde, Chris told me that the space would be available for storage but it wouldn't have hot water. I'll accept the tradeoff.

Good news! Chris assured me that the operational front window will be in production soon. Since any T@B ordered now will not be ready for delivery until mid-July, future T@Bbers should be able to confidently order one with an operational front window.
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
  • Options
    Good news about the window. For sleeping when nights are cool, we generally leave the front window and vent open. I don't care to leave the others open and have cool air on my head or feet.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Dabwca, if you order it without the Alde system, you may want to ask if the electric hot water heater is still available. May be a good trade off for you.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Thanks for the reminder that I can still get hot water with an electric water heater. I will look into that, though that would mean no propane heated hot water, no external shower and probably the furnace. Neil and others seem to bypass the "noisy" furnace and use a simple catalytic heater.  Any thoughts about that?
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
  • Options
    David, I was thinking the same thing as Cyclonic.  I have the 5 gal hot water unit that fits under the sink and that may be still available if you don't go with the Alde. Glad to hear the speaker issue was resolved.  Fall 2012 when I ordered my T@b and front window, LG said they switched to a non-opening front window because of leaks the Dutchman's had with their front windows when driving in rain.  Kristi, have you ever had that issue with your Dutchman T@b? LG must had found a solution for that and are confident to install an opening front window now.
  • Options
    I haven't had a leakage problem with the front window, although it's something I watch because I know others have. It seems that my 2008 is just beginning to experience issues I've read about--the other day, I had to add silicon to the seal around the porthole window in the door because it was leaking.
  • Options
    After pondering the storage spaces in an Alde-equipped L and the furnace with water heater option, I decided to email Scott Hubbell of LG to clarify the situation.  It turns out that there is still some storage below the rear shelf in the L after all.  He wrote: "there is storage under the closet floor, but it is only on the passenger side. The ALDE system sits in the same footprint that the furnace occupied."  I'm not clear where the furnace had been installed and how it affected storage, but that sounds as though the storage should be similar to FanT@Bulous.  That's good enough for me.

Since the L bench is longer than the bench in the Q, U, and S there is also about 30 percent more space under the passenger side bench than is found in those models. Generally this side is delivered sealed as it contains mechanicals and little available storage. He wrote that I can request that it not be sealed as there will be a bit of storage space there. That area on the 2015 Q that I've seen came screwed shut, but I'm sure that most of us would get around to unscrewing it anyway.

While I was at it, I asked for confirmation that the operational front window would be available if ordered now.  He was not ready to confirm that.  Though he expects them to be available by July, he responded that they are coming from Europe and that
    no dealer should be promising them as the actual delivery date to LG is not guaranteed. I will wait to order my unit until I know that it will have the new window, but that could be as early as next week.
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
  • Options
    There was a hi grade security fitting on my driver's side bench... it came in the form of one screw. That's where the converter ks and wheel well, and by golly if there isn't a metric S tonne of space in there. I've decided it's where the emrgency kit etc. Will go, for those "only when you need it" infrequent items.