Options

Alde hot but no convection?

In the past the Alde has worked great in freezing conditions. Last time not so well and this weekend it's very bad.we have hot water and the glycol is hot (about 170 F) reserve tank is between min & max. To me it seems the pump is not pushing fluid through the convectors. Wouldn't there be an error displayed for this? Thoughts?
Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
managed by VE Smart Network

Comments

• Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    Here's my WAG...could the thermostat be set on hot water only?  Keep in mind I have a 2015 with the older manual type thermostat.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 460
    Thanks, I don't know how to set it that way. Thermostat is set to 72 and temp shows 60.. periodically I hear the boiler come on but no radiated heat.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,701
    The hot water "extra hot water" setting only works for 30 minutes. During that time, the pump does not circulate glycol, and the Alde can put all effort into hot water production. After 30 minutes, the pump returns to "normal."
    The thermostats in the Aldes are pretty wonky.  In my 2017, the thermostat hides behind the touchscreen panel.  Which is under the television....and in the (slight) draft from the air conditioner compartment.  So, it isn't necessarily in the best spot.  Many owners have found the temperature offset function in the Tools menu that can adjust the temperature setting.  It may also be, just like everything Alde, the thermostat is...just not working very well. The temperature you are asking for...may be just a suggestion to the Alde.  To get  your 72 degrees....you may need to just ignore the numbers, and turn the Alde temp up until you feel comfortable. 
    There are adjustments on the pump itself.  Have a look at it, and you will find a little red "knob" that should be set to 2 or so.  (It goes between 2 and 5).  Maybe turn it up a notch to see?  You should feel the pump working, and in my trailer, I can actually hear the slight "whooshing" of the glycol as it circulates.
    And: the glycol tank is an "expansion" tank.  If the glycol is hot, it may be giving you a false idea of how much glycol is in the system.  You may want to try taking a reading with the glycol cool/cold.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    I wondered where the pump control looked like and where.. It's very small, down low and faces the back of the trailer. I started rotating it and t heard the pump start up. I think it only needed to be rotated a few times. Maybe a dead spot formed on the control. Moving it back and forth allowed it to work. Now getting heat out of the convectors. Tomorrow if it continues working, I'll try to set it back to 2. But will need a mirror. 

Thanks a lot my wife thinks I'm the hero even though I told her it was your note for the pump knob!
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,303
    MarkAl said:
    Thanks a lot my wife thinks I'm the hero even though I told her it was your note for the pump knob!

It's not what you know. Knowing how to find what you don't know makes you the hero! =)
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Wrap up next morning:
    1- I believe like the old volume controls on radios, as they got old sometimes you had to move them to clean. I think this is what got me. As the trailer is so new I am wondering if doing this would solve some people's issue with poor Alde heating? Simple to fix! Since mine was hard to find here's a pic.
    2- The fuses for dummies pics show 2 green fuse covers inside the Alde. I only see one. Did something change? Also a pic. Edit: just saw in another post (Alde fan) that in 2017 when the 3010 was changed to the 3020 only one fuse is used!
    3- Finally, the fuse circuit board rattles loosely. My experience is this is bad for component failure due to vibration. Is this how all the boards are attached?