Options

T@Bpole's New Light Package

A light package is what we, in the roller coaster enthusiast realm, call the lighting on rides.  It is meant to not only provide lighting but also attract people to the ride.  Well, today I added a light package to the T@Bpole:

image imageimage  image  image  image

I think you get the idea :-).  This is an LED lighting strip I found on Amazon.  Over all, the lights have 16 different colors and run on 12v DC.  They are rubberized and have a strip of very strop 3M adhesive on the back to hold them on, as they are meant to be placed on cars.  None the less, I am also going to seal them with some silicon adhesive, just to be sure. 

I placed them under the keder rail on one side, but like the so I am going to get a second set to place on the other side and, yes, drill holes and wire the entire system internally.  It all runs with a programmable remote control.  Pretty cool stuff.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
Sterling, VA

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I think it will look great under the visor, should make it really glow. I'll hopefully find out soon :-D

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Oh, and yes, they will strobe too.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    *insert dance club rythm here* Awesome... I dig it!
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Interesting, Nathan. It has the same colors as the ambiance lighting on the console and floor of my Escape. I like " hot pink" with two water bottles in the cup holders to enhance the lights!!! Have you thought about putting the lighting under your T@B? That would look good, and have night lighting, too.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna, my Escape has that lighting too, and it is very cool, especially the lights in the cup holder.  I prefer to keep it blue to match the rest of the console, just the way I am.

So, did some testing today. The backing that comes with the lights is not enough to hold it solidly to the surface of the keder rail. I am going to seal it on with some silicone adhesive, and I think that will do the trick.

I have also ordered two
    more sets, on for the other side, and one to place under, as I agree with Verna, I think that would be a very neat effect, as well as prove to provide some ambient lighting at night.

I am going to run the wiring inside the T@B, under the counter, and connect the two side sets inside, from the connecting it to the 12V DC system with a fuse and cut off switch.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    And, tested it with the frog lights, a couple of the color combinations have gotten Becky's approval, which is the most important thing.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 125
    Nathan
    I purchased similar lights for my T@b about a month ago and have been struggling with how to permanently wire them to the system.  Can you explain (for an electrical dummy) just how you intend to do that?
    Thanks so much
    Carolyn
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    And, there was a rumor going around last year, that in campgrounds plagued by dozens of thieving raccoons, that they will not cross a string of lights.  I laid some rope lighting on the ground to keep them away from the SS.  I never had any raccoons closer than 3 ft away before or after I put the string of lights on the ground, so I can't say for sure it worked.   I wonder if the same theory applies to lighting shining on the ground?  Just wondering out loud......
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Carolyn, what I plan to do is drill a small hole in the wall of the T@B and extend the wiring into that hole, running it behind the refrigerator and under the counter (which will require more holes between the spaces), and linking it to the wiring coming from the lights on the other side of the T@B, which will also be running in via a small hole.

I will then run the single run of wires up to where the entertainment system is.  I am going to place the control box there, with a hole to peek the remote receiver out.  I will link in with the 12 volt DC power running to the entertainment system there.  I'll run that through a power supply in order to make sure the power is consistent at 3-5 amps.

That is the quick explanation, but I'll be sure to take photos when I do the setup, probably within the next few weeks.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 125
    Nathan, one more question.  Where can you buy the wiring to connect the stip of lights to the box?  Mine has just a real short piece of wire going into the box and a plug with the four prongs at the end.  Can I buy an extension to put some space between the light strip and the box?
    Thanks
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    rverginiarverginia Member Posts: 21
    I picked up the same kit from Amazon.  Can't wait to see the installation pictures.
    Of course, I am still waiting for my T@B to be delivered. 
    SOON!
    Bob and Pam, Martha Lake, Washington 2015 T@B Q M@xx PorT@Bella, Mercedes GLK-350, Shitake the Kayak, and our bikes - Chan and trelle.
  • Options
    I had not looked into buying an extension, I am planning to splice some extra wire on to extend it into the body of the T@B.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    CodeJunkieCodeJunkie Member Posts: 50

I just bought what sounds like the exact same lighting system.  I was wondering about the best way to supply power to it, as it has the option of AC/DC.  How much of a drain will it put on the 12V (meaning, how long can I have them on without running my battery down)?  Very interested to know how the various wiring/power supplies work out for you all.  I'll check back here often.  I am learning so many technical things I never thought I'd ever need to know!  I'm lovin' it!

Debbie

2014 T@B S M@xx with wetbath, aka PopT@B, silver with black trim, TV 2002 Chevy Avalanche

"Take only pictures, leave only footprints."
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Debbie,

I would power them up off the 12 volt system as they are LED lights and draw very little voltage.   LED lights are efficient and are much better than incandescent, bulb style lighting.   You shouldn't have any problem powering up these LED light strips.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    CodeJunkieCodeJunkie Member Posts: 50
    Thanks, Mike!  I'll get a chance to show them off this weekend camping at Lake Wister in Oklahoma.  Hopefully, I'll have pictures ready to upload next week of PopT@B.  <:-P
    Debbie

2014 T@B S M@xx with wetbath, aka PopT@B, silver with black trim, TV 2002 Chevy Avalanche

"Take only pictures, leave only footprints."
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2014
    Do the LED light strips somehow attach or insert into the Keder rail or is there an adhesive stripping that attaches to the side of the trailer below the rail?   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    There is an adhesive strip that would allow you to attach it below the rail.  I have found that the strip is not as strong as I had hoped, and am going to epoxy the strip to the rail.  I should have that done before Attwood, and maybe even get a chance to do the electrical.
    B-)

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    To reopen an old thread, check this out if you want to upgrade lighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KF_Ig8sutg

http://m4products.com/

Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    will you be able to turn individual strips on/off or will it be an all on or all off setup?